1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

1st Gen AC Delete / Pulley bypass?

Old 05-28-2015, 12:52 PM
1st Gen AC Delete / Pulley bypass?

Mom's 07 Honda Fit ac compressor pulley/clutch are shot, rattling pretty bad when the AC is engaged. The local mechanic is trying to say there is no way to delete the AC and wants to change out the compressor and the condenser for the low price of $1500 to solve this problem. The car has over 200,000 miles and really don't need the AC system anymore.

There has to be an easy way to bypass the AC using a shorter belt and removing/modifying a pulley? Anyone have suggestions? I was reading about the AC delete on a Gen II using the Canadian belt, but not sure if that will work on a Gen I. Any advice is appreciated. Want to save my mom some $$$ if possible.

Thanks
Silas

Old 05-28-2015, 01:35 PM
According to this thread, the Canadian base model 1st gen did not come with a/c, just like the second.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...l-ac-unit.html

Maybe give the dealership a call and tell them you have a canadian model 2007 Fit and see if they can source the belt for you.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:53 PM
Thank You. I called a local dealer and they cant help me without the VIN# for that specific part. Their computer wont give them lengths on the serpentine belts. Or at least that's what they said.

I found another thread with a guy running into the same issue. It appears I can order the belt online from a Canadian parts supplier and have it shipped to the US. The part # is 31110-RME-C01.

I just don't know if the tensioner/idlers are the same from USA to Canada and I am not anywhere near the car right now so I will have to order it now and hope for the best.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:01 PM
Much easier to make the belt work around the tensioner than design a whole new tensioner for the Canadian model, so i'm sure you'll be fine

Glad you found the part, well done.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:20 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
from what I have heard, look up on rockauto.com for the shorter belt. you can leave the ac compressor on the motor and just bypass it with a shorter belt and repair it later on or remove it completely if you decide.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by kylerwho
from what I have heard, look up on rockauto.com for the shorter belt. you can leave the ac compressor on the motor and just bypass it with a shorter belt and repair it later on or remove it completely if you decide.

There are a couple on rock auto that give you a length, a couple that don't. The normal length with AC is 45 inches. I found one on autozone with an effective length of 36.5 inches, I think that's the one. Its Dayco part # 5080365 but I cant be sure.

Do you have a part # that people are using for the one on rock auto, because the other two are missing lengths and I don't want to order the wrong belt and have to do this again in a week. I might just go with the Canadian one.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:50 AM
5 Year Member
Why don't you just go to your favorite autoparts store and get a 36" belt. If it is too short just return it and get the size you now think fits. You can try them out in their parking lot until you get the correct length one..

Old 06-10-2017, 03:01 PM
Just to clarify a little bit if anyone else is looking for a belt to bypass the AC compressor on a GD3 Fit ( 2007-2008 ), or a replacement for a Canadian Fit DX that came without AC. I did it today, measured with a string, looked at Gates listing by size and found the perfect one : K050340.
As you can see in my pictures, once installed and tightened the adjustment screw is pretty much in the middle of its range so I think it's pretty much the ideal size.
Even here in Canada the autoparts stores are listed only for the Fit with AC and you're left with the dealer as the only option and boy do they know it! 45$ for the smaller belt for no AC when the other one is like 20$!
So If you want a cheaper alternative there you have it.

Old 09-24-2021, 09:10 AM
Bumping this because it helped me out. My '07 developed a bad pulley type sound. After removing the belt, I spun the AC compressor pulley and found it to have a slight grinding noise. The idler pulley spun freely and quietly. I looked up the Gates part no. listed above and found on RockAuto that it is actually the AC belt for an E46 BMW (1999-2005 3-series). (Ironic that I'm using an AC belt to bypass my AC) So I ordered the $12 DriveWorks version for same-day delivery from Advance Auto Parts. The noise is gone.

Next project is trying to cheaply resurrect the AC pulley bearing.