1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Cost for Catalytic Converter

Old 08-08-2015, 03:31 PM
Cost for Catalytic Converter

My CAT is going out and I need to replace it. I called the dealership for a quote and they said it was 1035 for just the part....they wouldnt even tell me what the service cost. I know these things have prescious metals in them, but holy moly.....is it that much? Please tell me your experience. Its a 2008 Fit Sport with 123000 miles on it. Thanks.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
An OEM direct bolt in cat is pretty expensive. Retail for one alone is for sure an easy grand straight from the dealer's parts coutner. If you check out either BarnardiParts OR RockAutoParts, you should be able to find one much cheaper.

Bernardi Parts has 2 cat options for our gen Fits. I would suggest going there, putting in your VIN number to ensure that you have the correct part number if you want an OEM direct bolt on cat. You may be able to find weld in replacements... BUT I couldn't honestly tell you how they compare to OEM cats.

Here's the link to both cat options via BernardiParts... Both are in the 750 to 760 range + shipping. Fortunately it is REALLY easy to replace these if you have some mechanical know how.

18160-RME-A00 | Honda CONVERTER - Bernardi Parts

18160-RME-A50 | Honda CONVERTER - Bernardi Parts

Old 08-08-2015, 08:27 PM
Replacing the catalytic converter is easy. Jack up the car, slide under, loosen some bolts, drop the part, replace with new one, replace bolts, lower car, admire doing it yourself!

Old 08-08-2015, 09:23 PM
Agree, super easy to DIY

Originally Posted by DWils
Replacing the catalytic converter is easy. Jack up the car, slide under, loosen some bolts, drop the part, replace with new one, replace bolts, lower car, admire doing it yourself!

Old 08-09-2015, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DWils

Yeah, should be easy as long as the the flanges and flange bolts are rusted to hell and you don't have to cut the flanges off and weld on new ones. Only reason I say that is because that's how mine look right now, lol. Good thing I don't need a new cat.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:22 AM
You are also in Texas. Do they have emissions? I didn't think they did. There are tricks to get past the check engine light on the dash for a P0420 CEL.

As for the cost, $750+ for a real cat. You can get a generic one, but it might not fix your light because they are often not made to the same standard as the Honda OE cat.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
I picked one up on amazon for $205. Bolted right on. Getting the old one off was another story, took hours; had to grind the old bolts off, etc. Gas mileage went up noticeably with the new one.

Amazon.com: Walker 53820 Ultra Direct Fit Catalytic Converter: Automotive Amazon.com: Walker 53820 Ultra Direct Fit Catalytic Converter: Automotive

I also did end up buying a set of the springy nuts but strangely the local parts store had them for cheap.

Last edited by kistner; 08-12-2015 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:04 PM
I have a 2007 Honda Fit Sport with a manual transmission. It has 109,000 miles on it and the check engine light came on. I notice that when I get up to about 4000rpm it kinda bogs down and makes a rattling sound like something is clicking. The engine code (i don't remember the exact code now) but it suggested that the catalytic converter was not performing as it should. Same thing when I took it to the Texas State Inspection. I have seen a few catalytic converters on ebay for a very good price but the ones for the manual transmission seem to be more expensive. I called the local honda stealership and they quoted me a price of $1300 + Tax?!!?! Anyway, I'm wondering, does anyone know if the catalytic converter for a manual transmission is any different than an automatic transmission. The parts department at the stealership just told me they look exactly the same but he would recommend I buy the one (from him) for the manual as I have a manual transmission in my car. The part numbers are different. Another thing: I called the local auto parts store and the guy there told me he was looking at the "spec sheet" on both of them and they "appeared" to be exactly the same. However, before I go an plunk down some hard earned cash I was hoping some of the experts here would please chime in on this question and let me know if there is any difference or anything I should be aware of on this issue. Thanks in advance for your help guys!!

Old 02-11-2016, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
Walker makes the OEM stuff for a significant amount of the vehicles made, their subsidiaries make almost all the rest.. The OEM cats are usually slightly better but for 1200 bucks I can put a pretty fancy aftermarket one in.. Maybe 3 of them.. or 4..

OEm does not always = better especially on the nearly cheapest car in their lineup..

I'd use something like a random technologies (I run one in my jeep.) But you might need a tuner or a fitting on the rear O2 to keep the codes away..

Old 02-11-2016, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NIGHTOWLLL
I have a 2007 Honda Fit Sport with a manual transmission.
The one I bought from Amazon was for an '07 manual

Amazon.com: Walker 53820 Ultra Direct Fit Catalytic Converter: Automotive Amazon.com: Walker 53820 Ultra Direct Fit Catalytic Converter: Automotive

The catalytic converters may be the same for standard versus auto, but maybe there is a different twist in the lines/pipes? just a guess.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:18 AM
5 Year Member
Magnaflow.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
I have a friend with a 07 that has no power. The CEL states cat malfunction. 193k+ and very little maintenance with the lowest price gas running in it. I'm thinking it is the cat. too.pay a little more for Exxon or mobile, at the pump or a cat. before it's time.

126.00 with ship.

http://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=252541556...2609932&chn=ps

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 06-05-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
Rock auto seels them reasonable as it gets as well,,, couple hundred bucks.

Easy swap, 2 bolts each end.

Put new O2 sensors in with it... at least the rear one, and if it throws a code you likely need a new front sensor.

Actually change the front 02 before the cat, it may be off and causing the bad cat code..

Old 01-10-2019, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Perrenoud Fit
I have a friend with a 07 that has no power. The CEL states cat malfunction. 193k+ and very little maintenance with the lowest price gas running in it. I'm thinking it is the cat. too.pay a little more for Exxon or mobile, at the pump or a cat. before it's time.

126.00 with ship.

http://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=252541556...2609932&chn=ps
Reviving this thread to ask if anyone has installed the $100 Canadian cat from ebay? I am looking at replacing the cat on my '07 Fit, and while $100 seems way too good to be true, it is definitely tempting.
Current link I have looked at: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2008-H...UAAOSwQjNW-JLh

Old 08-14-2019, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Tiger Torre
Reviving this thread to ask if anyone has installed the $100 Canadian cat from ebay? I am looking at replacing the cat on my '07 Fit, and while $100 seems way too good to be true, it is definitely tempting.
Current link I have looked at: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2008-H...UAAOSwQjNW-JLh
Hello. I have the same issue and was thinking of getting this one from Canada...any chance you tried it out since january? Did it work in passing emissions tests/keeping the engine light off long enough for inspection? Thank you!!

Old 08-15-2019, 02:51 PM
I’d also be interested in any feedback on those 100$ eBay/Amazon cats...

rock auto also has a nicer looking “bosal” branded one for 170$ (for 5sp/manual cars)

Old 01-04-2020, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by der Mond
Magnaflow.
hey der mond!

did you replace your cat on account of a p0420 code? if so, did it fix the code and are you happy with the cat? any fitment issues?

did you replace o2 sensors as well, or just the cat?

thanks!
kyle

Old 01-04-2020, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by NEGD3
I’d also be interested in any feedback on those 100$ eBay/Amazon cats...

rock auto also has a nicer looking “bosal” branded one for 170$ (for 5sp/manual cars)
Hello NEGD3, you have a link on that cat? I came across this $300 one at rockauto.

I'm not sure you guys are angling for a California legal one or not. I ended up starting a thread regarding this angle. There is some reference regarding getting reimbursed through CA, if you qualify. I'm giving it a shot.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Hey Kyle. I did get the Direct Fit cat - 49 state model, not CARB compliant (hopefully has less restriction but I don't really know). I had been getting some Cat codes. Not bad for 200K miles I guess. I replaced the cat along with new Denso 02 sensors. I have been partial to Denso since they came out with the iridium plug that requires the least power in the industry to produce a robust spark. I've used their injectors, wires, plugs and 02 sensors in various vehicles - even a snowmachine - always great performance. So I HIGHLY also recommend the Iridium TT plugs for the GD3. But I digress. I had put a Flowmaster cat-back in my '99 Dakota 5.2 and then when I put a Magnaflow direct fit cat in I could HEAR the difference - just a bit but noticeably louder and more robust exhaust note. In a vehicle that has had multiple enhancements it is hard to say if the cat made it feel any faster. Same for the Fit - when I put the cat and 02 sensors in I also put in a Braille battery, new alternator, new TT plugs, PCV valve and meticulously adjusted the valves. What really made it feel faster was when I previously installed the PRM JetStream intake and sealed it to the fender well duct for ram air. And it has a Megan Racing dual outlet muffler. These two things have always made it sound sweet. It has run so finely I'm not sure the cat made a noticeable difference - perhaps just a tiny bit more throaty. The engine just delights me - perfect throttle response, great sound, great torque. And I've never had any issues with coil packs. SO - I can tell you this for absolutely certain - after 7,000 miles with the new cat, I have gotten NO codes of any kind. The other thing I like about the cat is that the entry bend is nice and smooth, as opposed to the OEM which has a sharp bend to deliberately direct the gasses into the cat wall at an angle to bounce back and forth and maximize contact with cat surfaces to maximize the amount of emission scrub. The header that Honda puts on the car is such a work of art that I just love that now it has a nice sweet bend into the cat. What can I say, for me vehicles are musical instruments and works of art...and why can't you have power, efficiency and pretty darned clean exhaust all at the same time?

Cheers and Keep the Shiny Side Up,

Dennis

Old 01-11-2020, 04:56 PM
awesome dennis! thanks so much for the thoughtful response. very happy to hear about the cat codess staying away! very helpful in thinking about how to rectify mine.

best,
kyle

Originally Posted by der Mond
Hey Kyle. I did get the Direct Fit cat - 49 state model, not CARB compliant (hopefully has less restriction but I don't really know). I had been getting some Cat codes. Not bad for 200K miles I guess. I replaced the cat along with new Denso 02 sensors. I have been partial to Denso since they came out with the iridium plug that requires the least power in the industry to produce a robust spark. I've used their injectors, wires, plugs and 02 sensors in various vehicles - even a snowmachine - always great performance. So I HIGHLY also recommend the Iridium TT plugs for the GD3. But I digress. I had put a Flowmaster cat-back in my '99 Dakota 5.2 and then when I put a Magnaflow direct fit cat in I could HEAR the difference - just a bit but noticeably louder and more robust exhaust note. In a vehicle that has had multiple enhancements it is hard to say if the cat made it feel any faster. Same for the Fit - when I put the cat and 02 sensors in I also put in a Braille battery, new alternator, new TT plugs, PCV valve and meticulously adjusted the valves. What really made it feel faster was when I previously installed the PRM JetStream intake and sealed it to the fender well duct for ram air. And it has a Megan Racing dual outlet muffler. These two things have always made it sound sweet. It has run so finely I'm not sure the cat made a noticeable difference - perhaps just a tiny bit more throaty. The engine just delights me - perfect throttle response, great sound, great torque. And I've never had any issues with coil packs. SO - I can tell you this for absolutely certain - after 7,000 miles with the new cat, I have gotten NO codes of any kind. The other thing I like about the cat is that the entry bend is nice and smooth, as opposed to the OEM which has a sharp bend to deliberately direct the gasses into the cat wall at an angle to bounce back and forth and maximize contact with cat surfaces to maximize the amount of emission scrub. The header that Honda puts on the car is such a work of art that I just love that now it has a nice sweet bend into the cat. What can I say, for me vehicles are musical instruments and works of art...and why can't you have power, efficiency and pretty darned clean exhaust all at the same time?

Cheers and Keep the Shiny Side Up,

Dennis

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cost for Catalytic Converter