1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

bought me a 2008 Fit; starting from scratch, engine dirt question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 06:15 PM
bought me a 2008 Fit; starting from scratch, engine dirt question

This new to me Fit has a very dirty engine bay (water splash, dirt). Mine has no underplate and the engine is exposed to the road. Is this normal?

also, i see reference to GD and GE. What are those designators.

thanks for your response.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:27 PM
D comes b4 E so GD is u my friend. Welcome... Fits are great. Yours is the most raw "per" say. Enjoy it. Fits can be modded cheaply/easily.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:21 PM
Sounds like you are missing the lower splash guard, not really a huge issue.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
I would look to replace the part still. It is slightly different depending on whether you have the regular or sport trim. I believe sport has one extra part to account for the underspoiler/valence.

I would definitely go to a scrap yard for that! I'm sure you could get the part dirt cheap. Then you need the clips which are pretty expensive for little plastic parts. My Honda parts counter guy knows me so he gave me a bunch for free but those suckers add up when buying them one at a time. Most of the clips for the undercarriage are the longer style clips but the part for the valence has a few small ones if I recall correctly.

Also, there are two screws which are pretty key because they join about three different parts of splash guard together. If you mae a trip to the junk yard, try and see if you can salvage most of the clips and those two screws for even more savings! Those screws in canada are like 3.95 a screw!

I wouldn't drive my car with no splash guard. You don't want a blown engine from water sucked into the intake (although I've never heard of that happening to a Fit with a stock air intake).

Old 12-15-2015, 02:21 PM
when I bought my car I didn't realized that my driver side fender was missing! So its exposing all the connectors! For us Canadians any recommendations to getting the part cheap besides going to the autowrecker?

For the front underbody if I had an base LX model, can I still get the undercover and install it? With Canadian winters covering up everything is a must and it helps with the areodynamics as well.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by vap3
when I bought my car I didn't realized that my driver side fender was missing! So its exposing all the connectors! For us Canadians any recommendations to getting the part cheap besides going to the autowrecker?

For the front underbody if I had an base LX model, can I still get the undercover and install it? With Canadian winters covering up everything is a must and it helps with the areodynamics as well.
A dealer is your best bet to ask...

Old 12-16-2015, 10:51 PM
i ended up paying the dealer almost 97 cad for my fender, but you can probably get it for around 30 cad if you look hard enough, yes I was that impatient.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:54 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
To simply answer your questions, dirty engine bay is normal. Torn or missing under plates is also normal depending on the mileage and abuse from previous owner. Mine have been off the car for awhile( removed them for different modifications but never got around to reinstalling them)

With them gone you will need to clean out under the hood more often.
Rockauto.com has the best prices on replacing these pieces from my experience.

GD is the chassis code 2001-2008
GE is the chassis code 2009-2014
The number after these letters is the chassis setup reference. (gd3 and ge8 are North American designations)