3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Replacing Plastic Splash Guard underneath the Fit

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 06:22 PM
Replacing Plastic Splash Guard underneath the Fit

Has anyone else run into this issue? I had my oil changed and one of the clips fell off under my car which caused the plastic splash guard to fall off.

I went to the dealer and they said that they wanted $350 for, I remind you, a piece of plastic.

Does anyone else have experience with this issue and could give me some guidance of what to do.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
I would call Honda' customer service 1-800-999-1009. I can't say I've had this happen to me (yet) , but I noticed I'm starting to miss screws (which reminds me I'll have to go ahead and purchase some). I hope you get it sorted out, I would be livid if they would try to charge me $350 to replace the underpanel.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
Are you talking about replacing the entire shield? If you do have to take a bite and buy it, you could probably get it significantly cheaper online, Honda Parts Network or Bernardi Parts or various other places.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by bach
Are you talking about replacing the entire shield? If you do have to take a bite and buy it, you could probably get it significantly cheaper online, Honda Parts Network or Bernardi Parts or various other places.
I have yet to find them any place but eBay. Mine has talked a dozen times. I finally zip tied it in, which worked great until I had to take it for an oil change. I handed a handful of zip ties to the dealer and pleaded for them not to use the screws. They did anyways, and mine fell and cracked to the point where it's toast in the middle of a road trip.

I just need another so I can zip tie the danged thing in and not mess with it any more, but they are impossible to find online!!

Old 10-01-2015, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
If mine falls off, I'm just going to leave it off. None of my other cars had this, and they didn't seem to suffer for it.

Just one more reason why I still do my own oil changes. If it falls off, I've no one to blame but myself (and Honda-for putting the stupid thing on the car in the first place).

Old 10-01-2015, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
Dorman has every type of fastener ever made.

Your FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store) can get the right one... beg them, bribe them
or what ever but they can get em.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bach

I've looked into this, and the problem is, Honda doesn't sell JUST the removable panel separately. The only way to get it is to buy the entire structure (panel, and the non-removable shield it bolts to) as an assembly. This is how they insure an adequate revenue stream from replacement part sales.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:30 AM
So, just one clip fell out and that made your entire splash shield fall off? That would seem to indicate that the entire shield was being held on by that single clip. I've had my 2007 Fit for nine year and have pulled the bumper quite a few times and have even pulled the entire splash shield off recently. Those clips that hold the bumper and splash shield together are pretty good. I've never had any clips just fall out. Sure, I've broken them and not replaced them, which may explain why my splash shield was partially removed recently when I drove through a flooded road. The splash shield wasn't properly clipped in, so it was my fault for not ensuring all the clips were replaced.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
i think these clips are wear items. i did a service on the fit today, and when i put the car up on the lift, i noticed the guard was hanging on one side. at the last service, i know i put all the metal screws and plastic clips in...

one clip was missing, and the other one was half broken. i replaced them with push style slips of the same size OD.

i am going to keep an extra set in the center console. i will occasionally take a peek under there and replace them as needed.

Old 12-24-2015, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
My own splash guard came off while I was on the freeway after owning the car for 9 months. I didn't have a recent oil change. Right now I put it together with zip ties. Disappointed that hondas parts are poorly made.

Old 12-25-2015, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
Does the splash guard really help in something?

Old 12-25-2015, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KikeDiaz
Does the splash guard really help in something?
The splash guard is supposed to streamline the bottom of the car to make it more aerodynamic, and there more fuel efficient, thereby saving gas.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:57 AM
I've done 2 oil changes so far, and those clips sure can be a pain in the a$$!

I've noticed one missing so far (15k mostly highway miles) but I *think* it was because I forgot it)

I recommend having extra clips- they are the same as Bumper clips on most hondas and having the square ones just helps when you try to tighten them (I have two or three round-style clips under there now)