1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Door Locks - Damaged/Failure Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
Door Locks - Damaged/Failure Fix?

My driver's side door lock won't accept the key, much less turn to lock or unlock the door. The passenger side works for locking and unlocking but it requires some force to get the key in. I think that someone tried screwdriving the locks as there are other signs that someone tried to break in. I read some older posts from around 2010/2011 where 07/08 Fit owners were having this issue anyway. Any suggestion for a lock swap, lock cylinder fix? I have a good locksmith in the area, but it's $200+ for a "might fix it" scenario. The older posts had most people buying a keyless entry system to install to get around it. That's great, but it'll be my luck that something fails one day and I'll be climbing in from the hatch. Any suggestions?

Old 05-04-2016, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
There's usually a few ways you can go about this. Sift through this info:

Have you lubed the lock cylinders already? It may help.

Before you go to a locksmith, you should inquire if they have a tumbler kit for Hondas Sidewinder locks. If they don't have the kit, all they can do is remove tumblers from the lock cylinder. If you remove enough tumblers, a screwdriver will operate the lock.

You could pull your lock cylinders out (save lots of labor money) and have new tumblers installed to replace the worn/damaged tumblers (most dealers have sidewinder tumbler kits even if there is nobody left who knows about it).

If the key isn't too worn this 'retumble' usually works fine.
If the key is badly worn it may need replaced too.
If the lock cylinder slug is damaged it may need replaced.

You could order new lock cylinders through the parts catalog and they come with new different keys. I strip them and retumble them to work with the original key cut.....because I hate seeing people who have to carry more then one key to get in and start the car.

If you have worn out the door locks, the ignition lock may not be far behind. I retumble those too.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezone

Have you lubed the lock cylinders already? It may help.
I'd do this first...use a graphite lubricant made for the application, such as Lock-Ease.

Also, verify that it's not just a worn or bent key. Do you have the same problem with the second key?

Attached Thumbnails Door Locks - Damaged/Failure Fix?-116028.jpg  
Old 05-05-2016, 05:58 PM
Similar issue, willing to settle

Hello, have never posted on this site before and know next to nothing about cars but have an issue similar to the original poster. I have a 2007 Fit base model. My driver's side and passenger side doors will not unlock, in the same way the person who started the thread's will not. My driver's side door had the same issue a little over a year ago right after I bought the car, so I was able to get the dealer to pay for the replacement lock cylinder. When it stopped opening this time around I had already exceeded the mileage warranty on the parts and labor, so I dealt with getting in through the passenger door for a couple months. Now, the passenger door keyhole has given out too, so I've been entering through the trunk.

I do not want to deal with and cannot afford having to get lock cylinders replaced annually, biannually, or ever, really. What I would like to know is if the wiring for a keyless entry system is already installed in the car so I could just buy a remote and sync it. I have watched some videos like this one
that suggest I could purchase a key like this one
Amazon.com: USARemote Replacement Keyless Entry Remote Key Fob for OUCG8D-380H-A 3-Button: Automotive Amazon.com: USARemote Replacement Keyless Entry Remote Key Fob for OUCG8D-380H-A 3-Button: Automotive
and just enter with the remote without getting the locks fixed (at least until I have the money to do so). I have not been able to find anything online suggesting that this could work for the 2007 base model, but it seems like it will work for almost every other one from what I've been looking at. Does anyone know if I can work this out? Is there any other way to install keyless entry for under the 200 or so it will cost me to replace a lock cylinder?

Thanks all very much for your time!

Old 05-05-2016, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wildgravity
I have a 2007 Fit base model.

What I would like to know is if the wiring for a keyless entry system is already installed in the car so I could just buy a remote and sync it. I have watched some videos like this one

that suggest I could purchase a key like this one

without getting the locks fixed

That process stated in the video does not work on a 2007 base Fit.
Neither will purchasing a transmitter key from Amazon or anywhere else.

Your car has no keyless receiver, a transmitter key won't do anything without it.

You would need to purchase a receiver and do some creative DIY wiring to make a real Honda key (with built in fob) work, because the original accessory keyless kit that dealers sold is no longer available through Honda dealers. You can buy the receiver but not the complete kit with wiring and all that. Maybe you could locate a kit on ebay or some such.

If you got a working key with built in fob, it would need to be programmed to the car before the engine will start. Yes, even if the remote works the immobilizer chip inside the key still has to be programmed to the car.

You could check into an aftermarket keyless entry, check out your local car alarm/electronics and stereo installers.
One of the people I work with found a cheapo keyless kit for less than $15 on Amazon and wired it up himself in an older Accord.

Also.....Even if you get keyless entry, you will be stranded if the car battery goes dead. You still should have the keyed locks working as a backup.

Last edited by ezone; 05-05-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
That's a ton of helpful info I would have never found on my own. Thanks. I'll ask around about the sidewinder stuff. Both keys have the same issue, so I think it comes back to the locks, and it doesn't seem like it's isolated to just a few Fits of this Gen. THANKS!!!

Old 05-05-2016, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MyooLah
That's a ton of helpful info I would have never found on my own. Thanks. I'll ask around about the sidewinder stuff. Both keys have the same issue, so I think it comes back to the locks, and it doesn't seem like it's isolated to just a few Fits of this Gen. THANKS!!!
It's common to all sidewinder locks that get used regularly.

The people without remotes wear out door lock tumblers and the ignition lock tumblers.

The people with remotes tend to only wear out the ignition lock tumblers.

Door locks being more exposed to weather tend to develop issues quicker than the ignition.