1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

2007 Honda Fit Leaks (Rear passengers, Spare Tire)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 10:28 PM
Lightbulb 2007 Honda Fit Leaks (Rear passengers, Spare Tire)

Hey guys !

First off excuse my phrasing for this thread since my mother tongue is French

This thread will cover two leaks i had on my 07 Fit. I will cover these two leaks as they aren't really well documented on many forums, although some others have really helped with the info they provided with their leaks.

Well it all started this winter (2015/2016) when I noticed some ice buildup on my rear passenger carpets of the 2007 Fit I had recently bought in December. I really thought it was weird but didn't investigate more than that. Lets skip to spring 2016, when it started to get a bit hotter outside I decided to vacuum my Fit. Turns out there is a huge puddle of water submerging my backseat carpets. At this point i'm freaking out, pull out the iphone and start searching on google. As it turns out many GD3's have this problem. I continue my research and I find more water in my spare Tire compartment. Found a couple of threads on FF that helped me with the problems. Let me walk you through the fix for BOTH of my leaks since the leaks come from two seperate places.

1. Cracks right under gutter weather strips, above the hatch hinges.
2007 Honda Fit Leaks (Rear passengers, Spare Tire)-r0576jpg.jpg

2007 Honda Fit Leaks (Rear passengers, Spare Tire)-r0580jpg.jpg

2007 Honda Fit Leaks (Rear passengers, Spare Tire)-r0581jpg.jpg

2007 Honda Fit Leaks (Rear passengers, Spare Tire)-r0587jpg.jpg

These hairline cracks are the main source of the water coming into the spare tire compartment. The water comes down the inside struts surrounding the hatch opening. Heres a few of the pics of the water i had in there, it was pretty bad.

2007 Honda Fit Leaks (Rear passengers, Spare Tire)-r0534jpg.jpg

2007 Honda Fit Leaks (Rear passengers, Spare Tire)-r0535jpg.jpg

2007 Honda Fit Leaks (Rear passengers, Spare Tire)-r0536jpg.jpg

When i found these cracks thanks to other threads across several forums, I fixed them with waterproof silicone, although the dealership suggested using a body compound. I did it the quick and easy way and will hopefully hold up. after 2 months this is what it looks like, (sorry for the pics, it was night out and i really wanted to take em for this thread) The silicone accumulated dust but that is pretty much it, still holding up.

2007 Honda Fit Leaks (Rear passengers, Spare Tire)-img_0816jpg.jpg

2007 Honda Fit Leaks (Rear passengers, Spare Tire)-img_0817jpg.jpg

2007 Honda Fit Leaks (Rear passengers, Spare Tire)-img_0818jpg.jpg

2007 Honda Fit Leaks (Rear passengers, Spare Tire)-img_0819jpg.jpg

P.S. I thought at first it was the hatch seal so i filled it with silicone. The hatch seemed to leak from there also but the main leak was the cracks.

Hope this helps anybody with this problem.

2. Rear passenger leak. ( Carpets soaked in water)

2007 Honda Fit Leaks (Rear passengers, Spare Tire)-r0539jpg.jpg

2007 Honda Fit Leaks (Rear passengers, Spare Tire)-r0537jpg.jpg

The second leak I had was concerning the rear left door. The problem with this leak is mainly a design flaw. This problem is well covered by Rod who goes over this problem on this page : Rod's Honda Fit page

I will do my own little explanation.

First off the water leaking in starts from the window. It seeps in and usually is supposed to leak down OUT of the bottom of the door where it seeps outside of the car. The problem is inside the door , between the exterior panel and the inside plastic cover is a wall which holds the components of the door. On this wall is a big opening which the water can go through. Now usually, the water hits the plastic vapour barrier and leaks to the bottom where a hole in the wall allows the water to seep back in the door leading the water to the drainage holes at the bottom of the door. The problem is that the glue holding the vapor barrier fails at certain points and causes the water to seep through. You can see in the pictures all the grime the water left behind.

2007 Honda Fit Leaks (Rear passengers, Spare Tire)-r0796jpg.jpg

2007 Honda Fit Leaks (Rear passengers, Spare Tire)-r0798jpg.jpg

2007 Honda Fit Leaks (Rear passengers, Spare Tire)-r0802jpg.jpg

2007 Honda Fit Leaks (Rear passengers, Spare Tire)-r0803jpg.jpg

The fix is easy as you can see on Rods Fit Page. ( Ill post my pictures later for this fix.) These leaks are more common on the left side of the car as opposed to the right side. The rear left passenger is more common than the driver side. I didnt have time to check the driver side so ill do that once i have more time on my hands .

I Hope this will help anybody else with these problems.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails 2007 Honda Fit Leaks (Rear passengers, Spare Tire)-r0804jpg.jpg   2007 Honda Fit Leaks (Rear passengers, Spare Tire)-r0800jpg.jpg   2007 Honda Fit Leaks (Rear passengers, Spare Tire)-r0586jpg.jpg   2007 Honda Fit Leaks (Rear passengers, Spare Tire)-r0582jpg.jpg   2007 Honda Fit Leaks (Rear passengers, Spare Tire)-r0533jpg.jpg  

Old 06-07-2016, 10:39 PM
If you guys have any questions go ahead. Im moving in the next few days so wont be as quick with the replies though. Ill try my best to answer your questions

Old 06-08-2016, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
Nice. Thanks for linking to that Rod guy's page, I hadn't seen that. He's got some good pictures of the side door fixes.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
Use Polyurethane sealer NOT silicone for these type if fixes. lasts longer and way stronger.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
Use Polyurethane sealer NOT silicone for these type if fixes. lasts longer and way stronger.
Thanks for the tip ! I knew it wasnt going to last a long time but didnt research the product I should use