1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

AC Condenser Fan Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
AC Condenser Fan Replacement

I'm not a mechanic... but my 08 Fit's AC works great while moving. If you get stuck in traffic for 5-10 minutes, then it goes completely warm. You can turn it off for a few minutes (to thaw out) and it will work fine again. AC coolant is in the good range with my AutoZone guage. I also notice the condenser fan is very loud when AC is on. So I bought a TYC fan on eBay for $35. Does anyone have a write-up or any tips for replacing the fan? And do you even think it is the fan? Thanks

Last edited by kakrohn; 06-30-2016 at 12:29 AM. Reason: edited
Old 06-30-2016, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
from your description, it is either

1) ac compressor/clutch not engaging correctly

2) condenser fan

3) freon level (those gauges from part stores does not tell the whole story btw)

Old 06-30-2016, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
Fan noise has nothing to do with poor cooling. The low side should have 25 PSI with blower on high (4) and engine on 1500 rpm. On idle speed the low side gage reads HIGHER than on 1500 rpms!!
While new fan will not makeup for lost refrigerant, it may reduce noise; the driver's fan should come out first then condenser fan is pushed to the driver side and removed

Old 06-30-2016, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
Hardest part is getting the electrical connectors disconnected so you can move the fans the rest is easy.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:34 PM
anyone know the labor guide for re and re an a/c compressor on the GD1 fit?

Old 07-01-2016, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
Check the price of compressor and dryer on your favorite auto parts page, then add about 300 in labor + a couple pounds of R134.

They usually replace the dryer when they do the compressor.

Time involved is:
Pump out system, about an hour.
Change pump and dryer about 45 minutes.
Pump system down with vacuum pump, 1 hour.
Charge and test for leaks about 1/2 hour.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
I also recently changed out my condenser fan with a TYC fan (if I recall correctly) since my fan wasn't turning on at all. Exact same symptoms as you. Unfortunately, I'm still having the issue where AC does not work when it's too hot or when I'm not in motion. There is a slight gap between the condenser shroud and the radiator but I doubt it's the issue. I'm starting to believe that my compressor may indeed be faulty.

Anyways, for the condenser fan, I ended up removing the 3 screws and removing it from underneath the car. The radiator hose does get in the way so you might need a bucket to catch the fluids or drain them before working on the fan.

If you do it the way I did, make sure to check coolant levels after and burp the system.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:48 PM
Removed Engine Oil Filter to replace ACFan

Originally Posted by kurobaxkaito
Anyways, for the condenser fan, I ended up removing the 3 screws and removing it from underneath the car. The radiator hose does get in the way so you might need a bucket to catch the fluids or drain them before working on the fan.

If you do it the way I did, make sure to check coolant levels after and burp the system.
I switched out my ac condenser fan on my 2007 Fit today.
Surprised I didn't find any "how to's" for the 07' fit so I had to improvise!

This is what I did:
Bought A/C Condenser Fan via online for approx $70.
Decided it would be easiest to remove from the underneath vehicle.
Jacked the car up.
Unscrewed the 3 screws
Unplugged all the wires.
Attempted to finagle it out without having to disconnect anything.
Failed.
I had NO idea how to drain and burp a radiator system. So unhooking the radiator hose was a no go for me.
Instead I opted to remove Engine oil Filter.
Had my gallon bucket ready to catch the oil. [it shoots WAY further than expected when the car is jacked up]
Also removed a single radiator hose bracket near from topside of the vehicle.
I successfully finagled the original A/C condenser fan out from beneath the vehicle.
The new fan was a bit smaller and more flimsy so getting it to fit was cake!
Set all the screws, and wires back in place.
Put engine oil filter back on and added the engine oil.
Started the car.
Success!

Hope this helps future fits!

Enojy

Old 06-17-2018, 11:24 PM
I'd like to replace my fan with something better. Anyone have any recommendations? I don't mind spending money if it's going to keep me cold in the hot GA summers. (Stupid black car)

A $30 replacement isn't what I am looking for. I'd be happy to get metal blades, strong motor, etc.

Thanks!

Old 08-31-2020, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you all for the guidelines for the AC condenser fan replacement which I found very useful. I got my AC serviced and it turned out it had only about 40% of the recommended freon gas in the system so that was fixed. But the tech noticed the AC fan wasn't working. He taped the motor with a screwdriver and a hammer to see if it would spring to life but it appeared dead. He told me it would cost €90 ($107) for parts and labour to replace. After reading this thread I decided to do it myself. This procedure is not for the faint hearted

1- I jacked up the right wheel and put some cardboard under the car to allow me access from underneath.
2- Working from above and below I removed the 3 bolts holding the fan. The upper electrical connection came apart easily but it snapped off the fan housing. Later I secured it fairly easily with a cable tie. The lower electrical connection would not budge. Sadly it broke off and was damaged beyond repair while I was pulling on it. After reinstalling the fan, I had to run a new wire to the compressor using screw on connectors. That was time consuming but not difficult.
3- I drained the radiator coolant into a bowl and saved it. I removed the lower radiator hose and re-positioned the upper hose clip to allow me to remove the fan from below. That was a very difficult procedure. It required a lot of patience and wiggling but I eventually succeeded.
4- With the fan removed, I connected it to a 12 battery and it appeared dead. I dismantled the fan and cut the motor wires and replaced it with a Denso AC fan motor from another Toyota AC fan I had lying around. Although the plastic housing of the Toyota fan was different, the triangular shaped Denso motors seemed basically the same size.
5- I reassembled the fan and replaced it by reversing the procedure. Carefully pulling from above helped.
6-I replaced the radiator fluid, started the engine for a couple of minutes to allow some of the air to escape and topped up again until the fluid started to overflow. There was still some air in the system but I turned off the engine and replaced the cap. I knew the air would eventually escape and new fluid would be drawn from the expansion tank which I topped up.

So, thanks to the help from the forum, now my AC fan is working just fine!

But the story doesn't end there. I was examining the dead motor that I had just removed. AC fan motors have a small drain hole underneath pointing to the ground. As an experiment, I squirted a generous amount of WD40 into the drain plug hole and turned the spindle by hand a few times. Then I connected it to a car battery and to my amazement it worked just fine! So all those hours of work could have been avoided! c'est la vie!

I hope this information will be useful to anyone else facing this problem. First try tapping the motor. If that doesn't work, try squirting WD40 into the drain hole and turn the fan manually a few times to clean the electrical connections. It might just work!

Kind regards
Chris

Last edited by Chris Nicola; 08-31-2020 at 04:16 PM.