Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

08 fit A/C problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 07:59 PM
08 fit A/C problems

Hello my 2008 Honda Fits ac recently went out I’m looking for any advice or tips to help me find the cause of what the problem is, here’s what I know so far , when the ac stopped working at first I’d be driving with the ac on and I could clearly hear the compressor thump loud like it was slipping out of gear, it would go back and forth between on and off but turning off with a loud thud each time, I recently took the clutch off the compressor and tried to do the shim(washer) removal trick I keep seeing on the internet...nothing happened, I have replaced both the compressor clutch relay as well as the condenser fan relay, nothing changed, the condenser fan also will not turn on, at least I believe it is the condenser fan, when facing the front of the car the right fan does come on when I turn the a/c on and off when I turn it off, the left side fan which is the same side the compressor is on does not engage. Also my low pressure port is reading very high but I read that is normal since the system is not running... I have checked all of the possible fuses in both boxes, also my dome light randomly stopped working completely my doors will on lock all the doors of the car is running if not you have to manually lock each one individually and the bell that rings when the headlights are left on when the car is shut off doesn’t sound anymore, I have removed a broken radio from the car and I believe that’s when the light bell and door locks went out.. please help me with any information you might have to help me solve this issue thanks

Old 04-30-2019, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
Most likely the condenser fan motor is dead

1) Unplug the condenser (passenger side fan) from wire harness.
2) use freshly charged 9 volt Duracell or Energizer battery and apply power to the fan directly; working fan should start to spin slowly

Old 05-02-2019, 11:21 PM
Update

I jumped the fan and nothing happened, I replaced it today and the compressor still will not engage... when I removed the clutch last week it looked pretty worn down... is it safe to assume that the clutch is the remaining issue?