1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Resealing the plastic liners found behind door panels

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 09:38 AM
Paj
Resealing the plastic liners found behind door panels

the liners sealant is done and to help prevent water from entering the car (still glad im not the only one with leaky doors) im going to reseal the plastic door liners.

1. How do i remove the left over residue so i can ensure new sealant can bond with panel?

2. went to autozone and found this. will this be okay to use?

Permatex/3 oz. tube black silicone adhesive sealant 81158- ReadReviews onPermatex #81158

Old 07-23-2016, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
Get 3M weather strip sealant you can spread smoothly. I would stay away from anything with "silicone" in the title (or ingredients). Once silicone gets on a surface it is nearly impossible to clean properly for future adhesion, even using high percentage isoprophol alcohol.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:36 PM
Paj
Originally Posted by LarryS
Get 3M weather strip sealant you can spread smoothly. I would stay away from anything with "silicone" in the title (or ingredients). Once silicone gets on a surface it is nearly impossible to clean properly for future adhesion, even using high percentage isoprophol alcohol.
thanks! i used the rubbing alcohol and it did get the residue off completely. I went and bought the 3M black super weatherstrip adhesive

Old 07-23-2016, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Paj
thanks! i used the rubbing alcohol and it did get the residue off completely. I went and bought the 3M black super weatherstrip adhesive
READ THE DIRECTIONS! Clean both surfaces. Spread lightly on both sides, let dry. Then apply again and press together when tacky. Superior grip when used properly. Works very poorly if assembled wet, as with regular glue. Good luck.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:59 PM
Paj
READ THE DIRECTIONS! Clean both surfaces. Spread lightly on both sides, let dry. Then apply again and press together when tacky. Superior grip when used properly. Works very poorly if assembled wet, as with regular glue. Good luck.
hmm well the instructions didnt say anything about the 2nd coat so im hoping it doesnt need it.

I did let it dry hopefully it was enough time. it was tacky when i press it together finally but theres always that little voice saying "it could be tackier" so we'll see tomorrow if it work.

It was approx. 24 hours for cure time so i'll grab the water hose and spray it outside the door to see if it'll hold etc tomorrow night.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
I'm sure you will be fine.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
A trick we do with Amphicars is to close the door over a dollar bill. If the doorseal fits properly you cannot pull the bill out of the closed door. If the bill pulls out easily the seal will leak & either the hinge or latch may need adjustment. On occassion the weather stripping itself needs a "shim" to properly seat.

On that vehicle this is a test done with door & body seals that compress together. You won't get as much pull against the bill with the rubber door seal compressing against painted metal.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:29 PM
Paj
A trick we do with Amphicars is to close the door over a dollar bill. If the doorseal fits properly you cannot pull the bill out of the closed door. If the bill pulls out easily the seal will leak & either the hinge or latch may need adjustment. On occassion the weather stripping itself needs a "shim" to properly seat.

On that vehicle this is a test done with door & body seals that compress together. You won't get as much pull against the bill with the rubber door seal compressing against painted metal.
So the Right door work fine i dump some water on it and the water that got through the tape stayed inside till it went through the hole at the bottom. the Left side tho the water got through the plastic. I think what happened is that i left just enough crinkle that the adhesive counldnt hold the plastic to the metal. Do i need to buy adhesive removal or can i just peel and add some more adhesive but this time make sure theres no crinkle?