1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Cooling Fan

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
If a/c clutch relay is stuck on and a/c clutch coil has lower resistance than fan motor, the electrical current will go to the a/c clutch coil leaving no power to motor to spin.
One item with exceptionally low resistance isn't going to "suck power away from" another item sharing the fused circuit.

All items in the circuit will continue to receive power until the total amp load exceeds the capacity of the fuse protecting it, at that point the fuse will blow and everything in the circuit quits.

Low resistance = high amp draw= blown fuse.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezone
One item with exceptionally low resistance isn't going to "suck power away from" another item sharing the fused circuit.

All items in the circuit will continue to receive power until the total amp load exceeds the capacity of the fuse protecting it, at that point the fuse will blow and everything in the circuit quits.

Low resistance = high amp draw= blown fuse.
There is no dead short in the a/c coil, just relay stuck on so fuse will not be blown
...Or fan may have higher than usual resistance

Old 08-23-2018, 05:17 PM
Need help with my issue if anybody can help please

My 07 Honda Fit sport just started heating up when I have ac on and it’s idling I can drive it with ac on for however long I want as long as it’s moving but once I stop after a while it starts heating up the hot light comes on the fan for ac condenser works fine always on as soon as I turn on ac but the driver side cooling fan doesn’t come on at all thought both were supposed to run together it only comes on to cool engine but doesn’t turn on with ac on also car doesn’t over heat when ac is off only when it’s on any input would help checked fuses in dash and hood all seem to be in working order and swapped relays both in good working order

Old 08-23-2018, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brown2832
My 07 Honda Fit sport just started heating up when I have ac on and it’s idling I can drive it with ac on for however long I want as long as it’s moving but once I stop after a while it starts heating up the hot light comes on the fan for ac condenser works fine always on as soon as I turn on ac but the driver side cooling fan doesn’t come on at all thought both were supposed to run together it only comes on to cool engine but doesn’t turn on with ac on also car doesn’t over heat when ac is off only when it’s on any input would help checked fuses in dash and hood all seem to be in working order and swapped relays both in good working order
I would say that's the longest sentence I've ever read, but there's not even a period at the end.

If the main fan is not coming on under any circumstance, it's possible that the fan motor has simply died. I would try providing a direct 12v source to the motor and see if it turns on. If not, you need a new motor. They are expensive from Honda so you may want to find one used.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:57 PM
Sorry lol I’ve connected it directly to the battery. It powers on but won’t come on with when ac is on. It comes on and off when ac is off.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
This video may help...

Old 08-24-2018, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
Holy hell that video is entertaining

Old 08-24-2018, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
There's a temperature sensor in the radiator that completes the circuit to provide electricity to the radiator fan if the radiator temperature exceeds a certain predetermined value. Could be that sensor is not reporting the correct temp.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
the driver side cooling fan doesn’t come on at all thought both were supposed to run together it only comes on to cool engine but doesn’t turn on with ac on also car doesn’t over heat when ac is off only when it’s on any input would help checked fuses in dash and hood all seem to be in working order and swapped relays both in good working order
Sorry lol I’ve connected it directly to the battery. It powers on but won’t come on with when ac is on. It comes on and off when ac is off.
Both fans are supposed to always run at the same time. PCM controls both fan relays at the same time.

One fan runs like it's supposed to but the other never runs? You proved the motor can run so I'd expect the dead side would have a fan fuse, relay, or wiring issue. I'd grab up a wiring diagram and voltmeter or $3 test light and dive in to start figuring out the problem.
Check fan motor connector terminal to chassis ground (also do a loaded test)
Check fan motor connector to relay (hot side, live power check)

Do not drive it with the HOT light on. It can and will lead to head gasket failure (that's how I picked ours up cheap LOL)
Make sure radiator is completely full