1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Unequal left-right power steering assist

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 02:36 PM
Unequal left-right power steering assist

My apologies if this has already been addressed. I'm unable to find anything about this issue with searches here and elsewhere.

A few months ago, my 2007 Fit Sport (A/T) started drifting left. Strange symptoms, though. No problems once I'm up at speed; most pronounced when coasting at just a few MPH. Identical behavior with both winter and summer tires. No odd wear on either set of tires.

Just had an alignment done at a dealership. Got a full refund because the alignment did not solve the problem. Tech thought we were looking at an EPS problem. Most telling is steering wheel effort at standstill -- noticeably more needed for right than left.

EPS has never cut out, as has been reported in other threads. The light has never come on (except when it's supposed to -- at key II before engine start).

Any thoughts or experiences that might aid in diagnosis and repair would be much appreciated.

Last edited by FDrebin; 03-25-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:52 AM
Progress... maybe...

Cracked open the shop manual and found page 17-21 under Steering/EPS Components. Title is "Memorising the Torque Sensor Neutral Position." This is a procedure that is required any time an EPS component is replaced, but it sounds promising for my situation. Is this something that could go out of whack? If so, is there enough "adjustment" remaining to restore proper operation?

I am now investing in one of those inexpensive clone HDS systems that, I hope, will enable me to carry out the "learn" procedure. (A lot of good information here on those things.) We shall see. Will report back.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:41 AM
5 Year Member
Subscribed!

Old 03-27-2017, 08:39 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
What are the alignment results?

Old 03-28-2017, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
I have a similar issue! My steering wheel wants to slightly steer right and also drift right, even with proper alignment. It is harder to turn left than it is to the right. It is annoying but not terrible. The EPS light is not on and the EPS works otherwise.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by Sideways
I have a similar issue! My steering wheel wants to slightly steer right and also drift right, even with proper alignment. It is harder to turn left than it is to the right. It is annoying but not terrible. The EPS light is not on and the EPS works otherwise.
Yep. Swap left for right and that is EXACTLY my problem.

Don't want to get too far ahead of myself here. Let's see where this goes.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by doctordoom
What are the alignment results?
Sorry, Doctordoom. I posted a few paragraphs in response, which seem to have been censored for no reason known to me. I am not going to recreate the post. Bottom line: I don't have the data.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
Have you tried swapping wheels/tires from one side to the other?

Old 03-29-2017, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Have you tried swapping wheels/tires from one side to the other?
No. Shouldn't, really. The tires are directional.

Symptoms remain when I rotate front/back or swap summer/winter sets. New summer tires going on in a few weeks. We'll see what happens then.

However...

If a new set of tires or some kind of tire rotation solves the problem of power assist being more pronounced in one turn direction than the other while at standstill, I will, as a male approaching 70 years of age, do what it takes to bear your child.

Appreciate the suggestion.

Last edited by FDrebin; 03-29-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:28 PM
Did you ever fix this? Sorry I know this thread is like 4 years old but I just bought a 2008 Fit and have the exact same issue. Thanks!!

Old 10-10-2021, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by AP2GD3
Did you ever fix this? Sorry I know this thread is like 4 years old but I just bought a 2008 Fit and have the exact same issue. Thanks!!
Sorry for not updating. I had forgotten my post here.

Although I never got around to installing the diagnostic system on my PC, I did ask the dealer to perform the "torque sensor neutral position" calibration the last time I had the car at their shop (for the driveshaft recall) a few months ago. I even provided a photocopy of the page from my shop manual in case the tech was unfamiliar with the procedure. They charged me for an hour's labor, which is such BS, but, hey, life goes on.

The bottom line is, amazingly, that it worked! Sort of. I was surprised because I was expecting some EPS component(s) would have to be replaced. (I even had a used EPS control unit -- the part that goes under the dash -- I sourced on eBay at the ready in case the diagnosis called for its replacement... not that the dealer would have put it in, but I could have, easily.)

I say "sort of" because, although the drift to the left at slow speeds and the self-turning of the wheels to the left when the front of the car is lifted and engine started is now completely gone, I still feel it's very slightly harder to turn the steering wheel to the right. However, it's almost imperceptible, and I have no experimental data to prove I'm not imagining it. It's certainly good enough on this old car.

I can't guarantee it's a fix for every FIT with this problem, but if you have access to an HDS or don't mind getting fleeced at a dealership, I say give it a try.

Last edited by FDrebin; 10-10-2021 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by FDrebin
Sorry for not updating. I had forgotten my post here.

Although I never got around to installing the diagnostic system on my PC, I did ask the dealer to perform the "torque sensor neutral position" calibration the last time I had the car at their shop (for the driveshaft recall) a few months ago. I even provided a photocopy of the page from my shop manual in case the tech was unfamiliar with the procedure. They charged me for an hour's labor, which is such BS, but, hey, life goes on.

The bottom line is, amazingly, that it worked! Sort of. I was surprised because I was expecting some EPS component(s) would have to be replaced. (I even had a used EPS control unit -- the part that goes under the dash -- I sourced on eBay at the ready in case the diagnosis called for its replacement... not that the dealer would have put it in, but I could have, easily.)

I say "sort of" because, although the drift to the left at slow speeds and the self-turning of the wheels to the left when the front of the car is lifted and engine started is now completely gone, I still feel it's very slightly harder to turn the steering wheel to the right. However, it's almost imperceptible, and I have no experimental data to prove I'm not imagining it. It's certainly good enough on this old car.

I can't guarantee it's a fix for every FIT with this problem, but if you have access to an HDS or don't mind getting fleeced at a dealership, I say give it a try.
Thank you so much for a response! I already got new front lower control arms (the car probably needs them regardless) and I’ll get that calibration done as well. Will post an update for anybody else having this issue