1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Auto jazz "flaring" - downshifting, revving, sometimes cutting out completely

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 05:53 AM
Auto jazz "flaring" - downshifting, revving, sometimes cutting out completely

Hi all,

My friend's automatic Jazz has this problem. Sometimes when driving at speed, usually above 30 mph and up to dual carriageway speeds, the gearbox seems to slip down to a lower gear, revving loads and losing power. I believe this is known as "flaring". Often it does it a few times before returning to normal, but sometimes it results in the engine cutting out or losing power completely and she has to pull over on the dual carriageway.

I just tried the EGR valve tonight - fitted a blanking plate but this did not solve the problem. I'll give the valve a clean anyway and take the blanking plate out.

She took it to a garage a few weeks back and they tried flushing the transmission fluid (although I don't know how many times they did this - I read that you often need to do it a few times) and they also tried replacing the range switch (at a cost to my friend of £200) and this did not solve the problem either. So I think the garage decided the starter clutch needed replacing, at a cost of £900, which is half the value of the car.

Any other ideas we could try before she gets rid of it?