1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

06 Fit ?air flow meter problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 03:49 AM
06 Fit ?air flow meter problem

I have a 2006 Fit, automatic, around 155,000km done.

Last year it started to have this jerk or momentary loss of power while driving. Most typically it would happen while accelerating after coming out of a roundabout or similar at around 2000revs. Never when at a constant speed. No engine light coming on. Almost like you had a bad manual driver in the car.

The garage couldn't find anything with the gear box. At the same time I has having the juddering on take off so they flushed the auto gear oil which has made that a lot better (although not perfect). It also solved the loss of power for a short while, but it is back. At the same time they also replaced the spark plugs.

I took it back to the garage and they discovered that the air flow meter (?monitor) was unplugged. They plugged that back in and the car is certainly running and sounding better, but still having this problem, but now not always at 2000revs (sometimes higher or occasionally lower). Took it back to the garage (as shock tops need replacing) to let them know that the problem is still there and they have told me that the air flow meter (or monitor?) needs replacing.

Just wondering if anyone has had this happen to their car and did replacing the air flow meter fix the issue? Is there something else that should be looked at? The fuel economy has also gotten bad - I used to be able to get 600km before the light would come on, now I'm getting around 510km, so a significant difference.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like idle air control issue, does the 06 have a fly by wire throttle like the GD in the US? (Ours start at 2007...)

You may just need to clean the throttle body..

Old 04-17-2017, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
Sounds like idle air control issue, does the 06 have a fly by wire throttle like the GD in the US? (Ours start at 2007...)

You may just need to clean the throttle body..
I have no idea...how would I know/check?

Old 04-17-2017, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
The throttle body will have a round gizmo with a cable going to the gas pedal,, or a black thing bulging our about an inch on the firewall side thats about the size of a small paperback book.

If you have the drive by wire (I think you do) you remove the air box and then use a spray carb cleaner to clean the throttle body area, when the car is off you can gently open the butterfly and clean the grunge out.

If you have a cable throttle you have a IAC (Idle air control valve) and on a couple other cars I own or owned.. I had to spray some carb cleaner through the valve with the engine running about 1 time a year to keep the valve clean.. It would grunge up with the oil residue from the PCV.

I'd start with buying a good service manual, you should be able to find one on line, I bought a CD version for my 2007 from rock auto for 25 bucks. its got everything.. And has some pretty good troubleshooting stuff in it.

Typically a dirty throttle body won't throw a code immediately unless its also got a bad stepper motor..

Old 04-18-2017, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member
I have never needed to clean a throttle body on a Fit but when my Colorado reached 110 k miles it started acting up like your FIT. I removed and thoroughly cleaned the throttle body with some TB cleaner, a tooth brush, and a clean polishing rag. It totally eliminated the problem.