General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Sudden decrease in a/c air flow issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 09:15 PM
pmk
5 Year Member
Sudden decrease in a/c air flow issue

Today my 2008 Fit experienced a sudden decrease (probably 80% of normal) in air flow with the a/c on level 3. This was after driving nearly 5 hours constant in a somewhat typical high 90's north Texas afternoon.

Not knowing what I should do, I turned off the fan and still felt cold air passing. I thought it might be a frozen air condition, so I turned off the a/c and the fan back on--just to blow warm air through the system--and the airflow rate was back to normal. After turning reengaging the a/c, it provided cool air and then after about 5 minutes starting repeating the diminished air flow situation.

Is this sort of thing expected on super hot days when operating for extended periods? Assuming that I did freeze the a/c, what should I do to best recover and not damage the car?

Another odd thing, the CD sensor mistakenly thought a CD was in the player and told me to check the owner's manual. This also cleared up once the air flow rate got back to normal.

What should I do???

Thanks

Old 06-15-2009, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
5 hours constant A/C on at high blower speeds? Yeah, that might be the case. Hasn't happened to me on any of my long drives in the heat, though.

Regarding the CD sensor...I can't help you on that one.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:51 AM
5 Year Member
Check your ac gas pressure, im pretty sure its low. When the pressure is low the evaporator will drop in temerature below freezing point and ice up. It will turn into a solid block of ice within a short while, blocking airflow through it, hence the decreased airflow.

I have never experianced this happening in a car though, however have seen this many times when my house split unit ac's were low as refrigerant due to a leak.

Be sure to run the ac for a while before having someone check your pressure, the colder the evaporater gets, the lower the low side (evaporator) pressure will be.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:51 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
My A/C isnt as cold as id like to be. It hot as balls today, in the upper 90's. And the air was cool at best... I was still hot...

Old 06-16-2009, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
Usually A/C systems don't freeze unless there is a leak in the system. By all means, get it checked immediately by a qualified shop. If there is some problem, you're best off having the work done now! It will cost a lot more later, when seals or O-rings have been damaged.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
Yep, the usual remedy for freezing within the A/C system on our shores is something called "A/C system cleaning."

Basically what happens is the evaporator, drier and condenser are cleaned of their gunk, the O-rings and expansion valves replaced, and the refrigerant (I'm assuming you also use R134A there too) is recharged.

Best to do it once a year, preferably before the hot summer months come. Running with no A/C is also a b!tch in the rain - pretty soon the windows get all fogged up on the inside and your visibility suffers terribly.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by Steeldog
Usually A/C systems don't freeze unless there is a leak in the system. By all means, get it checked immediately by a qualified shop. If there is some problem, you're best off having the work done now! It will cost a lot more later, when seals or O-rings have been damaged.
Couldnt agree more. Definitely get it checked out by a shop, they might even tell you whats wrong with it before they charge you anything, and you can get away with fixing it for free!