1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Jerky acceleration, 2k+ rpm, especially up hills

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 09:22 PM
Jerky acceleration, 2k+ rpm, especially up hills

Hi everyone: new to the forum and new to the Fit! It's a 2008 with 104k km on her. And we have been very happy with it except for the crazy water leak we discovered, pooling in the spare tire well, and now with this noticeable stumble and jerk on acceleration. I am a strictly backyard mechanic with basic skills and a few tricks learned from good neighbors and friends over the years: onexperienced but I have no problem digging in there!

i have read around on this and other forums, and suspected maybe the classic cool pack issue that seems to pop up lots... Today I inspected the plugs: they seem ok (I'll try and link a photo). Doesn't rule out the packs I just thought I would have a look and make sure the plugs weren't totally rallied. Air filter is fairly clear and clean. No check engine lights, and I checked the OBD and found no codes. Before searching and finding out about the common coil problem my first thought was a fuel issue, as it felt like it was not getting enough fuel then getting a spurt and jerking forward. I am thinking some injector cleaner... And fuel filter is in-tank on these, correct?
I am wondering if there is anything else I am missing that I should rule out before I look at buying a coil pack and trying it in all the cylinders. I would rather work from the potential small stuff up to the bigger things!
thanks in advance. Forums and YouTube are the best tool out there!

Last edited by FitsnJeeps; 05-07-2017 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Cut off
Old 05-07-2017, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
The misfire monitor on this car is junk= (but this is good for California residents to evade smog test repairs). So far this problem sound like coils with deteriorated insulation , so you may want to try new boots. On my car the coil failed internally, causing engine "labor" on idle under load ("D plus brake"); if I shifted to N at this time the idle RPM will be at 500 or less. Replacement coils fixed this jerk, however BEWARE of cheap imitation; even best aftermarket (re-boxed OEM coils) will not be equal to genuine Honda. APEXi shop dyno tested my car with slightly used Honda coils vs Hitachi 053 coils and indicated 10% drop in torque on 053 coils. (This would not matter if car is over 150000 miles due to other engine wear

Old 05-08-2017, 06:30 PM
Thanks DoctorJ!

thanks for the input: I hadn't seen any reference to just changing the boots. I will check that out; and price 'em locally here in British Columbia too. Might be a chunk of $$ less than new coils.
I did notice some powdery white residue in the mouths of the coils (like where the spark plug tip would end up going). Contacts in there looked ok for the most part, with a bit of the same powdery crud around. Do you use dielectric grease in there? Seems like some people do and some don't.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member
Same crud is accumulating around firing tip of coil itself (other end of the boot and this is critical for coil performance).

Old 05-17-2017, 11:56 AM
Resolved!

ok so when I am searching threads I hate when I find one that relates to my problem... But there is no final post revealing what fixed the issue! So here goes:

i did these things to try and work from the bottom up:

verified air filter was clean
injector cleaner (just in case) - nothing
cleaned EGR valve - very dirty and needed a cleaning- but still no change
Changed out all the coil boots: easy, not too pricey aaaannndd - nothing.
changed the spark plugs - nothing
bought a coil and swapped it through the cylinders - bingo!

fourth cylinder coil was failing. New one in- purrs and has none of the problems I was getting before.

my takeaways: I have seen a couple times on the internet where the fourth cylinder was the problem: maybe it is more prone to failure for some reason? if I had this issue on a different Fit i would be inclined to test that cylinder first to see if I could bypass some of the testing process. Just superstition assuming that it will be the last one I test.😝

Also: the coil I bought came in a hitachi box and looked like the others, and had the little vent at the base... But did not say hitachi on the actual coil, and had a blue tip. Hopefully this coil runs long and well and isn't a lower quality coil like DoctorJ warned me about!
cheers, and thanks for the suggestions and input.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
My case was the same: #4 AND #3 (for lesser extent); these 2 coils are subject to highest heat from the exhaust (on 2 cars with coils not yet removed I found on the yard both # 3 & 4 were replaced)

Old 05-17-2017, 03:28 PM
Good to know!

Originally Posted by doctor J
My case was the same: #4 AND #3 (for lesser extent); these 2 coils are subject to highest heat from the exhaust (on 2 cars with coils not yet removed I found on the yard both # 3 & 4 were replaced)
good to know for sure: if this problem begins again on this vehicle I will test coil #3 first for sure! 👍

Old 12-16-2023, 04:03 PM
Old thread, new post for new owner

Hello. I bought a 2015 EX-L automatic w/42K miles 4 days ago. Within 48 hours, I noticed the hesitation when accelerating, especially in the 20-45mph range. The day of test drive and 48 hours later, when I pressed the button to close the moonroof from tilt, it closed and then immediately returned to open-tilt. This happened regardless if I single pressed forward or back, or press and held forward or back. The dealer came to pick it up and when he brought it back to me, he said the tech was able to close it but offered no details on how. At any rate, all this will be covered under the warranty I received when I bought the car but I have this feeling of empty promise that a thorough diagnosis and repair will be done. I mean really, how did these things fly just over head undetected? What sort of knowledge can I learn from here to better prep myself to ask the right questions on Monday?

Old 12-16-2023, 11:31 PM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by e63racr
Hello. I bought a 2015 EX-L automatic w/42K miles 4 days ago. Within 48 hours, I noticed the hesitation when accelerating, especially in the 20-45mph range. The day of test drive and 48 hours later, when I pressed the button to close the moonroof from tilt, it closed and then immediately returned to open-tilt. This happened regardless if I single pressed forward or back, or press and held forward or back. The dealer came to pick it up and when he brought it back to me, he said the tech was able to close it but offered no details on how. At any rate, all this will be covered under the warranty I received when I bought the car but I have this feeling of empty promise that a thorough diagnosis and repair will be done. I mean really, how did these things fly just over head undetected? What sort of knowledge can I learn from here to better prep myself to ask the right questions on Monday?
Post in the 3rd generation sub/forum, I'm sure they can help you out

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/