1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Dreaded Misfire issue. Intermittent on a GD1

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 04:04 AM
Dreaded Misfire issue. Intermittent on a GD1

Hi everyone.
First off. I have been searching these forums a lot and have acted on the advice here so far. I want to thank all those that contribute so completely of their experiences. This place is so useful.

My Fit is a GD1 2002 with a L13A.
Approximately 145,000km

I have the "dreaded misfire" issue. My car is a good long range commuter, most trips are about 40km each way to work. (I live semi-rural)
Symptoms: On hills, inclines, lower engines speed when accelerating below 3000rpm, I get the occasional cough/jerk/hesitation. This leads me to believe at first it was something to do with the primary spark plugs and coils.
No engine light present. I did get one when I tried replacing my coils with second hand ones, but this was merely old tired second hand coils. Went back to intermittent when original coils returned. Thats why I got a set of new ones.

What I have done.
  • I changed spark plugs (primary) at first with Bosch ones and then recently with new NGKs (same type as I originally took out) I suspected going for cheaper ones might have done this. No change.
  • I purchased brand new primary/front coils from Honda. Matched part numbers. The whole bit (This I was trying to avoid) No change in behaviour. Disappointing and expensive.
  • Lastnight I took the EGR valve off and cleaned with carb cleaner. Scrubbed with toothbrush and put back on the car. I made sure to move the small circular valve up and down which I read needs to happen.This is the only thing that had a real noticable effect, it wasn't that dirty imo, but this morning my fuel economy computer reports 5 litre per 100km. This is the first time in 8000km that this has happened, but unfortunately still 8-10 hesitations today. So positive change, but still hesitations. I was almost celebrating this morning, then it did a jerk or two. Frustrating.
  • CVT fluid change + additive with Honda about a month ago. Unrelated, but this has been done.
Unfortunately this is beginning to get expensive and beyond what I have read and know. My cheap little run about has this tick, this little hop occassionally... even those I pick up on the way to work now joke about it.
What the heck is doing this?

I have tried to diagnose this logically based on what I have read, and I do have to drive for a good 20-30km before the hesitation appears, but thats not good when its most days that I do this.
The thing about this is that I feel taking it to Honda, they won't see this issue because of how warm the car has to be to do it.

When the issue happens if I plant my foot and grt above 3000rpm it smooths out and is fine. I believe (however I could be wrong) that the back set of coils and plugs are functioning in this case.

Does anybody have any further ideas?

Old 06-09-2017, 02:50 PM
Tight Valves

I have a 07 Fit Sport and had the same dilemma. Misfire with no code being stored.
Here's the catch, the coils are infamous for failing and NOT storing any error codes. Don't test fate, change all your coils and plugs. It seems to be an intermittent problem. Coils and plugs are super easy to install. ​​​​​​* Changed plugs (NGK Iridium), Changed all coils (OEM), and cleaned the throttle body which works best when you remove it from the the intake. Cleaned the EGR valve and EGR gas pathway which is located on the front of the Exhaust Manifold. A few bolts and you can remove the long plate which covers the EGR gas pathway and see how dirty it is. Mine was pretty filthy.​​​​​​But also know that the Valves on these motors tighten over time which restricts flow. If your valves can't breathe, the engine will sputter. I had the valves adjusted and it ran much smoother with no misfire.Essentially, the valves needs to be adjusted being a 10+ year old vehicle and with the long history of coil packs failing intermittently without codes being stored, they should all be changed if you have not already. Valves, valves, valves...