Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Changed coils twice an spark plugs once, engine still misfiring

Old 01-21-2014, 05:54 PM
Changed coils twice an spark plugs once, engine still misfiring

Hi guys, Here is what has been going on with my 2008 Honda Fit Sport. A few months ago I was driving along the freeway and out of nowhere my CEL started blinking, sudden loss of power, and bad hesitation. I then went to Auto Zone to get a CEL read and they said it was a "random multiple misfire" so I went home swapped out my spark plugs for the NGK ones car is still operating horribly so then I found out it could be my coils, Some one told me once one messes up they all start to f*** up. So I bought a set of coils from Buyautoparts.com

2008*Honda*Fit*Ignition Coil Parts from Buy Auto Parts

Swapped 'em out and car ran like new few months later boom car messes up again I called the buyautoparts.com people and they sent me a new set of coils (4) car runs fine for a month then the check engine light comes up AGAIN so this time seeing how busy I was at the time I ignored it. Car ran just fine btw up until a few days ago. Before the car messed up I Filled my gas tank, the pump clicked and I put a bit more gas in it even after it clicked my gas gage was past the F. (overfilling it is one factor) A few days later I am on my way to work, I make a left turn to get onto the freeway, boom, all over again. Sudden lose of power, bad hesitation etc. SO I look on here to see if I can find any solutions. I saw a few posts that said they where experiencing the same problems. Long story short, NGK spark plugs are gaped at 0.50 so I was hoping the cause of all this was the gaping, I re-gaped them at 0.40 car felt a bit better but same problems, CEL still blinking etc.

Here is another factor, before all of this happened, On that day I mentioned earlier before it FIRST started I ran over a puddle it wasnt too deep but I speed through it. Parked went to work got off and then it started acting up horribly on the highway as I explained earlier. So the other Factor is I might have messed up the Pre-Cat. o2 sensor in the puddle which is causing my engine to Misfire but it doesn't show up on my obd2 scanner when I connected it I only got

P0303 | Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
p0301 | Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
p0300 | Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire detected

I am pretty conviced it is the o2 sensor that is screwed up because my coil pack is about 1 month maybe 2 months old.

I'd like to see if anyone has experienced the same problem that I have and hopefully offer a solution. I'd love to here all of your opinions and very grateful for you guys taking the time to read this long a** post. Thank you

-Daniel

Old 01-22-2014, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member
Daniel,

You didn't mention the mileage on your Fit. You have done everything in the various Topics here, EXCEPT adjust the valve lash. I'd do that next.

You also didn't mention the brand of coils you installed. The most long lasting results that owners report are with the updated OE Honda ones, or Hitachi's.

++++++++++

I don't think an O2 sensor would CAUSE misfires. When these go bad, poor gas mileage is usually the first indication.

Good Luck,

Old 01-24-2014, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
Did u fixed this? How?