1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Battery Replacement Options

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 10:39 PM
Battery Replacement Options

Hello all,

I got back from the dealer the other day from taking care of a recall or two, and they told me my battery is pretty much on it's last leg. I'm not one to carry on continuing the practice of adding a subpar battery in the car and was wondering what the options are.

From doing my reading here and what not, I'm thinking of getting a 121-R. I really liked what user LaurenceBates had to say about installing this battery here(#86) https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...nda-fit-5.html

Also from him is this chart on batteries that's really useful - Battery-Web.com - BCI Group Numbers, Dimensional Specifications, Polarity and Terminals

So has anyone went this route or put a 51-R in their Fit? Any info you'd like to share or add?

ANY SALE ADS FOR BATTERIES?

Old 01-25-2018, 07:13 AM
5 Year Member
No need to mess with the tray and install wrong size battery. I wouldn't want a battery heavier than necessary and the stock battery is plenty sufficient. Mine has been serving me flawlessly since Oct 2012.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
Agree with john on this one. Our original Yuasa went 7 years or so and we now have a Honda battery from the dealer that is 3 years old and going strong.

Key is not the size, but the quality. Buy a Yuasa or Honda battery and they last just fine. I learned with my motorcycles to not go cheap with these small batteries. Was replacing them darn near every year until I switched back to Yuasa.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:44 PM
The 151R format is discontinuing?

I'm with you guys on getting a good quality battery, but I also like to get the most bang for the buck. Furthermore I read one thread that stated that the 151R format is phasing out. That's not good for someone trying to get the most bang, unless they're practically giving them away. I haven't seen that yet. I do like that you get more battery for less money when you go with the 51R or the 121R.

Granted I'm not in the cold part of the world, but actually hot weather and heat destroy the battery quicker than the cold. So a bigger battery would last longer too.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:02 AM
Hi Folks,

My wife had 340,000 miles on her '93 Civic CX and it was starting to show its age.
In October I found a base 2008 Fit for her.(She likes it.)

The battery was on its way out so I did some searching.
We hold on to our vehicles a long time, so years ago went to AGM batteries.
Odyssey had one that would sorta fit, but would need different cables.
Ended up buying an XS Power S975.
It fits nicely in the factory plastic sleeve base, but I removed the top plastic cover.

Added a block of wood on top to make the hold-down fit.
Am going to replace the hold-down bolts with shorter ones.

Actual weight as measured at the local shipping store was 25.2#, with the terminals.

https://4xspower.com/shop/12v-agm/s-series/s975/

Terminal note:
There are short and tall terminals, with the tall ones being only slightly taller.
You need the tall ones to get the cables on.
The retailer shipped it with the wrong terminals, so ya really have to watch this.

These batteries are made overseas.
With a properly maintained charging system, and never leaving the lights on and totally killing the battery,
am hoping for ten years life. Time will tell.

Thanks and good health, Weogo

Attached Thumbnails Battery Replacement Options-xs-batt-fit.jpg