1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

CODE P2646, no accerlaration after 3,500 rpm Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 03:52 AM
Thumbs up CODE P2646, no accerlaration after 3,500 rpm Help

I GOT MY FIRST CODE EVER! with 152k, P2646 which I'm not sure I ever read about this on this site.

6months ago, new sparks, brand New coil packs Honda dealership, and 2 hatichiI from amazon. car is running great.

aftermarket exhaust has holes, and my stock exhaust needs to be put back on. I try , I need more tools, like Jack Stands...

so I think, get it to a mechanic Simple job - He's got a lift , what could they possible break it's an exhaust system, I do , Mechanic tells me that the connectors are too rusted , so he cut the end of the cat, put a pipe as a small 3inch spacer, in between them and wielded it up. I pick the car up on Friday, she is so quite, I can't believe it. sounded like a damn Lexus to be honest.

Sat. morning, going to class, No problems , just 70mph of smooth sailing, Get out of class, half way home, the cruise all of sudden stops working, the lights on the dash, but not working at button/// and it starts bucking, I lose power, get off hi-way, can only get to 40mph b4 she starts bucking again. I take her back Monday, the engine light was on, he checked the code P2646.rocker arm control switch, I haven't read a post on this site yet that has mention this code.P2646 .

so how do I check this switch? Is this a common thing with Honda, and or the FIT? I Think the ECU Is wrong? this has more to do with the wield job . I well research this more, if I can do It, I well certainly try. I'm going to check the oil level, before I replace it tomorrow. I well get back with you on that level. Is this a RECALL item?

Thanks for reading. PEACE JD

Old 04-11-2018, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
P2646 = VTEC fault code

#1 check oil level---low oil level is one of the leading causes of the code

You say it runs great part of the time, that leads me to think it might just be a flaky pressure switch....and there is a service bulletin for just that .....includes updated part numbers for you to order from your local dealership

PDF LINK: https://f01.justanswer.com/clmcr8/fc...2762_P2646.pdf

Old 04-11-2018, 07:58 PM
Ezone, Hello,

first I'd heard of p2646 was this Monday, I read more last nite then I ever have on this site. I've learn a lesson though, an important one, I well start checking oil levels after ever 500 miles or so, Instead of relaying on the instrument panel. I was down 1 - 2 quarts, Now I have fresh oil, btw the reminder showed I had 10 % oil life left, I had lost 2 quarts in exactly 2,900 miles of my last oil change, My car runs great doesn't blow smoke or leak. I have been driving her hard lately, mostly highway , but hi - way speeding. 70 to 80mph.

Any way with a fresh oil change and filter, after 2 start ups, my check engine light CEL, went off. well I hope it stays off, but I well look into the switch anyway. thank you for responding so quickly, and parts list. Peace JD

Old 04-11-2018, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
You can search other honda owner forums for the code. It operates basically the same for all of the Hondas.

Low oil level, and clogged or restricted oil filters (usually aftermarket filters) are common causes of the code....when there are no other real faults with the vtec system itself..

But yours has that bulletin for the bad pressure switch, so if your code returns that's probably where I"d start.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gonefitten
I well start checking oil levels after ever 500 miles or so, Instead of relaying on the instrument panel.
It is important for owners of ANY make car, to CHECK THEIR OIL. Do it every 500 miles!

The OIL light on the dash is a PRESSURE warning, not a Low Oil Level warning.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
Plugged oil screen (filter) next to VTEK solenoid valve assembly was a common issue of the same code for older Prelude.
Can also be applied to high mileage Fits where cheap oil was used.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:26 PM
Smile Yep,

Update, My Fit is blessing me again and again, I just love this little car, I think I'll get 320 miles out of a next tank full of gas, I miss my cat back exhaust system though , but the cars gas mileage seems to be going up a little. Thanks Again Guys.