1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Junk yard practice: windshield wiper linkage and dog poo in the car:)

Old 06-25-2018, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
Junk yard practice: windshield wiper linkage and dog poo in the car:)

Once another Fit hit the junkyard, I went to check it out.

My subjects of interest are:
- front brake rotors (I noticed some scratches on them when changed pads)
- windshield wiper linkage assembly removal (replacement anticipated due to the white plastic parts corrosion)
- a/c clutch
- radio (LCD screen)
- rear brake shoes R&R

The rotors on the car were original; the Valucraft pads ate them really bad, yet made nice and flat finish; these pads can be installed to condition the rotor instead of machining it (for no more than 300 miles) between the OEM pad changes

The windshield wiper linkage removal is shown below (photos by my vintage flip phone

Wiper arms removed (14 mm nut), right cowl cover removed

Left cover removed; time to unbolt three 10mm screws and disconnect electrical plug from the motor

Close up

These two Phillips screws that are attaching motor to the beam are installed with thread locking compound and will require additional steps to remove! I used an impact without much of the success!

One more view of the screws; the nut on the motor came out very easy

The ac clutch 14 mm nut can be removed after immobilizing the plate with flat bar or screwdriver

Insert screwdriver between two round bosses as shown; use box end offset wrench to keep it in place when undoing the nut

The removal of the radio was called off after I found a dog's poo on the floor; the question is: did the poop took place before or after an accident?
Despite disgusting interior, the owner took a good care of the headlight by applying clear coat to it

Note: the horizontal plastic tabs immediately below the headlight are very fragile and can break easy during bumper removal!

The rear brake shoes removal was more difficult than anticipated (at least when following service manual procedure); perhaps need to make a special tool for a spring at the bottom (my huge brake spring tool does not fit into the return spring)

Thanks for reading! I am waiting for next Fit!

Last edited by doctor J; 06-30-2018 at 07:27 AM.