1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Is there a go-to roof rack people like?

Old 08-27-2018, 01:08 PM
Is there a go-to roof rack people like?

Hello all,

I haven't done much research on this. Basically I'm starting here and working out Really I think my only requirement are locks, but even that I could do without. So has it evolved to having a current fav? Or is all over the board? Any recommendations?

Old 12-17-2018, 11:33 PM
I am also interested to know this... Anyone?

Old 12-18-2018, 09:24 AM
I have always used Yakima roof racks and they seem to hold up well. The only major downside I see to mounting a roof rack on the Fit is the added height. My Fit already sways in the wind like a drunken sailor, and having a bicycle on top (or cargo box) makes it that much more susceptible to being blown about.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
I personally went with Inno Racks, because Jdm (made in japan)

Also, they ended up costing alot less than thule/yakima

Old 12-18-2018, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
I personally went with Inno Racks, because Jdm (made in japan)

Also, they ended up costing alot less than thule/yakima
And Inno includes locks with their rack system.

For Thule and Yakima, you have to buy the lock cores separately. In theory, you could use one key to lock your roof rack + bike / ski / cargo carriers.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:51 PM
I've done a little bit of researching on this. Fortunately I'm not really in the need for a rack.

Anyways what I'm thinking is that REI has garage sales quite often in my area. What I've seen is they are getting rid of parts and full racks that didn't work for members. So these end up going at a good price at their sales. Many times these racks aren't complete or there may be a part or two marked appropriately. There's even a couple of guides at their https://www.rei.com/search?q=car%20racks.

What I have to do is do my homework and really get to know what's out there.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:07 PM
The main thing that you would need are the clips that adapt the roof rack towers to your car. Yakima's clips for the GE are Q99 - you would need two pairs. I do not know if the GD and GE utilize the same clips. If you look around online, you should be able to find Yakima clips at a discount price because Yakima is moving away from the older style mounting system. eTrailer.com, miscellaneous bicycle e-tailers, etc are where I would look.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:01 AM
i second the Yakima roof racks. theyre expensive but theyre worth it. i kept putting off buying one because of the cost, but always kept an eye on craigslist....where i bought mine for about $180 complete with a raptor rack, fairing and locks. i then found a second raptor on ebay for about $50 a few months later. i had mine installed on my scion for about 3 years with no issues...other than fading a bit and the clear pads beginning to break down. i have yet to get some clips to adapt it to my Fit, but i havnt been riding lately so not sure when ill do that.

something to keep in mind, if you do get a yakima, and you have the option for clear vs black tower pads, the black ones hold up to the elements better long term...especially if you plan to leave it mounted year round. i had black ones on my rear towers and clear on the front towers. the black ones were unfazed, but the clear ones started to get a little tacky and were beginning to split.

definitely dont skimp and get some weird ebay rack...some things you dont want to go cheap on. last thing you want is everything flying off on the freeway killing people.

Last edited by eulogy; 12-19-2018 at 12:03 AM. Reason: added info on pads