1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

AC works for the first couple of minutes

Old 11-17-2018, 02:55 AM
AC works for the first couple of minutes

A few weeks ago I was driving and the temperature warning started flashing, I pulled over, turned the AC off and it went away. Drove back home no AC.
Symptoms
  • when car is cold and AC turned on it pumps out cold air
  • both the radiator and condenser fans are operating
  • after a few minutes the compressor cycles off
  • after this it continually tries to cycle back on but the clutch won't engage
  • both fans are off
  • if continued the engine will soon overheat
I did a lot of research and watched quite a few videos and it seemed that this was a fairly common problem caused by the gap between the ac comp clutch plate and pulley being out of tolerance. The tolerance is 0.5mm +/- .15mm (so 0.35-.065mm), if the gap is too large the coil will not be strong enough to pull the clutch in once it's warm, but can work initially when cold. The fix is to remove the clutch plate and take out one or more of the 4 different thickness shims until the gap is within the tolerances). I checked mine and it was right on the outer limit at 0.65mm, so I thought this may be the culprit!
I jacked it up, removed the wheel and panels and after a struggle managed to get the clutch plate centre nut off (used a 6" socket extension between the clutch plate and a bulkhead to hold the plate still whilst the centre nut was removed).
I found there was only 1 shim, but when I removed it the gap was too small and the clutch plate rubbed against the pulley. So off it came again and I got a scouring pad and scoured the shim and the pulley where the shim sits as well as both the clutch plate and pulley surfaces. I refitted it and now the gap was 0.45mm. Perfect!.
Started her up but sadly the problem remained. But this may be a fix for someone else!
I decided to take it to the shop.....sigh...defeat.
They diagnosed it straight away as both fan motor were pretty much shot. I was a bit dubious as both fans would run when initially started and would only cut out when the compressor cycled off, but they reckon the fan motor's were the reason the comp was not cycling back on because the temp high was being sensed because the fans weren't cooling them.
I live in Thailand so the prices for labour are reasonable. It cost me about $95 to have the two motors replaced.
Bottom line. AC now working, compressor cycling on and off as it is supposed to.

Hopefully this may assist someone else