1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Drivability issue help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 08:20 AM
5 Year Member
Drivability issue help?

Having a problem with my 08 Fit Sport. Coming off idle, or even light load, getting a hesitation/shudder. If any of you remember distributors, and plug wires; its like when an old set of plug wires gets wet, and grounds out, butI know it cant be that cus there are no plug wires. Do the coils start intermittently missing before they just give out? I’ve already replaced a few after trying Pulstar plugs. (Don’t try them by the way, they don’t do well in Fit’s) Almost thinking have some dirt in the throttle body. Any ides, similar experience?

Old 11-30-2018, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
What brand of coils did you use? Deterioration of the coil boots insulation can cause this
Also need to verify that original plugs are tight
If that checks out fine hesitation on tip off points to incorrect erg valve operation

Old 11-30-2018, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
Don’t remember what brand coils, but will check that. ERG valve?

Old 11-30-2018, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
I need to put this in a word file somewhere so I can copy and past each time...

99% of GD and GE Fit engine problems can be traced to one of three things...
1. Spark plugs - only run Iridium plugs of NGK or Denso brand and gap at around .044. Check regularly because they like to loosen over time and will eject, possibly with the cylinder head threads, if not kept tight.
2. Ignition coils - only run Denso or Hitachi coils. Use dielectric grease on the inside of the boots.
3. Valve adjustments - due every 60k on GD and about every 100k on GE's. Listening to the valves is NOT a valve check. You can not hear a tight valve. If not done according to schedule, items 1 and 2 above are likely to fail more often do to exhaust valve being hung open.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
What GAFIT said.
I had a shuddering/misfire under load when I first got my used '08 Fit Sport (got it with 184k kms).
It wasn't bad enough to through a CEL (although my OBDII scanner did pickup the misfire in one of the cylinders).

I just replaced all 4 of the coils (using Hitachi units - these will likely come with a blue tip) and spark plugs (NGK Iridiums), figuring it was about time.
Problem solved.

Getting a valve adjustment doesn't hurt either...

Old 11-30-2018, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by daiheadjai
What GAFIT said.
I had a shuddering/misfire under load when I first got my used '08 Fit Sport (got it with 184k kms).
It wasn't bad enough to through a CEL (although my OBDII scanner did pickup the misfire in one of the cylinders).

I just replaced all 4 of the coils (using Hitachi units - these will likely come with a blue tip) and spark plugs (NGK Iridiums), figuring it was about time.
Problem solved.

Getting a valve adjustment doesn't hurt either...
May I ask you what scanner did you use? My Innova 3XXX is not supporting $6 mode

Old 11-30-2018, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctor J
May I ask you what scanner did you use? My Innova 3XXX is not supporting $6 mode
I bought mine from AliExpress for about $20CAD.
XTOOL U485 is the model name/number.
It's a handheld scanner with a cabled OBD connector (so not a dongle or Bluetooth one)
​​​
It's pretty lightweight and made of bright red plastic.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
Found AND fixed the issue today. #3 spark plug was loose, and ground electrode is totally burnt off. Try to post a pic later. Coils are Denso, took other three off to check plugs tight. They were all good, just 3. Plugs are Bosch Double Iridium, and are doing great. What’s amazing to me is that 3 was working a lot of the time. Well, it wasn’t always misfiring , anyway.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member

Something missing?����

Can barely tell where ground electrode was. But still worked. Part time, anyway.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
Every time I pull out a coil from junk yard Fit, I notice brownish "dust" on the coil indicating leak.
When changing plugs:
Inspect and clean the plug gasket sealing surface (use vacuum cleaner, hard wood stick, et)c to have no dust or carbon particles on the circular gasket saddle
Do not put anti-seize on the plug threads
Screw plug in until the gasket touches the head (use 3/8" ID 8 " long hose on the plug for this purpose)
Hand tighten the plug until gasket is crushed using 8 inch long ratchet handle
The manual-specified torque seems to be inadequate to properly smash the plug gasket
PS on my car plug #3 was tighter than others to remove; I saw a half moon indentation mark on the gasket seal area, so I put a new plug there (with a "virgin" gasket) at 50k miles to avoid risks of reusing the old plug with may not properly seal the damaged area.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
The plug you used had either a factory defect or had been dropped to the concrete floor somewhere down the line (If you bough it of e-bay or from the store in not so nice neighborhood, chances are someone was selling defective written off product). Would suggest to look on the piston top with sever camera to see if part is still there

Old 12-03-2018, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctor J
The plug you used had either a factory defect or had been dropped to the concrete floor somewhere down the line (If you bough it of e-bay or from the store in not so nice neighborhood, chances are someone was selling defective written off product). Would suggest to look on the piston top with sever camera to see if part is still there
Nope, I put them in, after inspecting them. Got them from local AutoZone, and like i said, inspected before installation. I am very anal with my engine work; comes from my employment training. Mechanical maintenance at a nuclear power plant. Fully trained, and proficient with FME, cleanliness, and procedural compliance matters.