2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

lets email KW and show intrest in a GE8 SC KIT

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 07:44 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by truth
so emotions getting in the way of business sense...

Honda is selling more of these GE's in 1 year than they did the GD's in two years here in NA. a 5ish yr run should result in better business. HELL, half the parts from the GD's kit could probably carry over to the GE, so... the excuses for not kit are just lame to me.
They are not "Sticking it to Honda" by any means... Look at it this way. The Fit is a very good selling car.... so are the lower end civics.... But many of the cars are owned by people looking to NOT improve the cars performace... so sales numbers of car sales doesnt account for anything. For them to make a kit they need to know there is a market for it... Emails, calls saying make a SC are good and all, but in the end really dont mean anything. I am interested in a GTR... but am i gonna buy it? no. A good way to show them you guys want a kit and are serious about it is to get a list of people together who are willing to drop a deposit NOW... the $$ and commitment will better sway someone to start a new project. I am not saying that will work... but is definitely a better way of going at it.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:18 AM
This is true, most to all of the fits that come into service are bone stock fits owned by older people or "green" individuals, i ve only seen a handfull of "modded fits" Not to mention the dealer I work at only stocks 1 manual, and it was a dealer trade....

Any one willing to try the deposit route? The only way I see it possible working is if everyone who says they they want one, puts up....

Old 07-21-2010, 02:26 PM
a supercharger interests me once i read somewhere that the base one only drops 2 mpg or so. does a supercharger affect the reliability of the car?

Old 07-21-2010, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
The thing is, the GE Fit was selling shortly afterwards of the GD being released in North America, shortly meaning about a year later. What Honda should have done is bring the car over to the US earlier, but the vast majority of consumers in the US see cars like the Fit as toys and not worthy of carrying them around, at least my opinion. The GD Fit was released here in June 2001 and the GE intoduced in October 2007 at the Tokyo Motor Show and sold to the public shortly after. All these tuners really should have known that the GE was coming just around the corner. Basically Honda used the North American market to dump off leftover GDs, not exactly true, but think about it, no sense in having 2 different chassis and engines being produced at the same time. What I saw the GD late release as was a go-by for Honda to see if there actually was a market for the return of a smaller car. Then the inflated oil prices came and the crash of the economy, which spurned more interest in the smaller car market.

The GE is not going anywhere for at least another 2 years and in fact the hybrid Fit will be released sometime next year here and possibly the US as well and from everything I heard it will still be in the GE chassis, but who really knows besides Honda themselves, will it come in a new GF chassis?

I don't really buy the HKS thing and not making items if they knew the GD was only going to be in the US for 2 years. Reason being, HKS is a Japanese company and they had stuff for the GD Fit here in Japan, well before the GD was even released in the North American market.

The reason there is not many parts, these cars were never meant to be burning up a track, though the same could be said for older Civics there in North America, but also remember that Honda is Japanese and they have always had some higher performing models that never saw the shores of the US. Just think back to the B16A, when did it hit North American soil from Honda, not till the Del Sol in '93 I believe was its introduction and even then the US never received the 170ps model, even in the later Si coupe, yet it was being sold in the XSi Integra in '88 here in Japan and then the 170ps model starting in the EG and continuing into the EK. With that being said, I think Honda tuners would jump on the shoulders of the Fit if cars such as the Si were not available there in the US. As has been stated, look just on these forums at those that modify their Fits to those that don't and even take a bigger look at it as how many Fits are out there where the owner is not even a member here and is most likely just using the Fit as an A to B car. Unfortunately for them, they are missing out on a completely fun car to drive, sure it lacks power, but it will put a smile on your face if you push it. The chassis is wonderful in the GD and even more so in the GE. Sure they don't have race-inspired suspension set-ups, but that doesn't take away from the driving pleasure they can produce when pushed.

I wish Honda would run a Fit One-Make series or some sort of tuner series here, because if so, then you would see a lot more parts being developed for the Fit. The use of the L15A in the FF race series there in NA is nice and all, that may translate to engine internals, but I wouldn't count on it as they are supposed to run spec motors if I am not mistaken.

If one thought going the NA route in Hondas was expensive (which it is), you can look at it costing in the neighborhood of NS-X pricing on the Fit since the market is small just like the NS-X. R&D costs a grip of money, the main reason I completely dislike and will not support copy-cat companies. Now one can take that last statement and ask, what R&D is there in making wheels and body parts, but the companies that are being copied do indeed spend money designing/testing their parts before releasing to the public.

Damn this is long...pardon me for rambling on.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:07 PM
^ they are gonna make a hybrid fit? o.O
doesnt honda already have a hybrid compact car - the insight?

Old 07-21-2010, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit has more utility when compared to the Insight. I hope, not that it matters to me really, they don't discontinue the non-hybrid models, at least the 5MT version, but if they want to transplant the 6MT from the CR-Z, that might spark my interest.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:36 PM
i personally think they are gonna be forced to make a sc for the ge models eitherway. Since gds are no longer being sold new in the u.s. and only ges are being made, eventually somebody will make a sc for the ge models. then wouldnt that force kw to make an sc for the ge8 to remain competetive?

Old 09-07-2010, 08:19 AM
Thumbs up

For "around town" perf, the S/C'er is the best way to go IMO

Old 09-08-2010, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
Seems like I was sort of a fortune-teller in my last post here because the new RS Fit is indeed coming with a 6MT.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:24 PM
The bottom line is that KW doesn't want to develop a SC kit for a car that won't sell. They went so far as to get a CARB exemption for the GD3 kit (A lot of work).

I know I'd buy a supercharger kit, not a turbo setup. I guess I'll be buying a GD3 kit, then modifying it, and figuring out my own tuning solution. Hopefully by then the folks who were working on the GE8 ecu will have it cracked.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:28 AM
Koi
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by awptickes
They went so far as to get a CARB exemption for the GD3 kit (A lot of work).
Which they haven't gotten yet unfortunately... come on CARB give us a break