2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Well it's official for the CR-Z...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 04:37 PM
According to the post from Hondata in that thread they said although it's the same engine the ECUs are entirely different. Our GE8 ECU is more like the 2009 TSX and they just released the Flashpro up until the 2008 TSX, so maybe in the future when they release the Flashpro for the 2009+ TSX we will get some support too

Old 12-11-2011, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by adolan21
According to the post from Hondata in that thread they said although it's the same engine the ECUs are entirely different. Our GE8 ECU is more like the 2009 TSX and they just released the Flashpro up until the 2008 TSX, so maybe in the future when they release the Flashpro for the 2009+ TSX we will get some support too
Lol and then it's gonna be, "wellll the fit has an engine set up more like the crz soooo it's probably not gonna happen until we get around to making a totally different piece of software 3 years from now." By that time I'll have given up and moved on or just gotten a faster, more popular car with more aftermarket support.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
All I know is that there must be a "real" reason why *HONDATA doesn't just make it. As a company to not build something in demand makes no sense or money$$$. If it were too be made I would buy one in a heart beat. I will never sell my FIT and will wait as long as it takes. Hopefully one day the dreams of owning Hondata on my car will materialize...after all that is the power of Honda....DREAMS!!!!

Last edited by Lance; 12-11-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:57 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

The real reason the GE gets no love is the owners. Be it turbo kits or ECMs.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

The real reason the GE gets no love is the owners. Be it turbo kits or ECMs.
Lack of owners or lack of interest in their own cars? I will admit this is the least active forum of the 3 car forums I was apart of.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
Lack of interest in their own cars. The GE is mostly driven by older moms and elderly people around here. Not people who give two shits about performance or aftermarket modifications...

Old 12-11-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm not old I'm only 24! But to be honest the only reason I got this car was because gas prices were getting high and I wanted something with better fuel economy. But if gas was $2 a gallon you bet your ass I'd have something with more power probably like a stage 3 STI that gets 15mpg and is great for NH winters.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Expectations from manufacturers and developers are sky-high, follow through on purchases is quite low. Complaints from perceived slights, or issues created through ignorance and improper install etc.

The GE market is one I would stay far away from. Sell wheels, springs, struts, engine dress-up and stereo equipment.. sure.

Would never want to have to be a customer service rep for anything even remotely technical that was GE related.

Could you imagine having to troubleshoot and diagnose the myriad issues you can run into with something as serious as a user-flashable ECM? No less, over the phone or through email with some semi-literate teenage-text speaking buttfudge-flinging monkey on the other end?

Or someone making a stink because they blew their motor out of ignorance and pester the shit out of you because you made the product and its obviously your fault that they have no business tuning their own car?

The majority of owners in this segment, personal anecdotes of how awesome you are aside, are in it because they couldn't reasonably afford anything out of the sub-compact category.

Most here, whether they admit it or not want instant gratification for easy and as cheap as possible and will absolutely trash a company's reputation at the least provocation because something didn't go the way they want with ridiculously unrealistic expectations.

I see it all the time, especially if you treat this forum as a snap shot of the market as a whole. Which IS fair given the amount of owners on this forum.

Why do you think that Jackson Racing/Kraftwerks not only never supported the GE, but abandoned the GD crowd as well?

Because it was bad business to stick with cheap ignorant fickle consumers. Sometimes serious modifications require downtime, sometimes serious modifications mean other parts will break, most of the time people who retrofit hardware on to their vehicles have no concept of the inherent need to change and adopt new behaviors with respect to how they maintain and operate their vehicle. Nor do they want to be bothered to research or learn!

This segment of the market tends to be particularly bad, and the owners often had to scrape together to buy the item in the first place and become irate and implacable when they can't afford to repair something that breaks as a result of the actions.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 12-11-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member
Well put DSM. I don't wanna break my car trying to make it go faster.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
Basically it's exactly what DSM said...

Well Bisimoto just cancelled their group buy on their turbo kit due to lack of interest from CR-Z owners, I think only 3 signed up and paid the 75% deposit (refundable).

So it's across the spectrum, regarding owners.

Could be that the economy has made people less risky, or it could be that owners are less willing to turbo/sc/tune their brand new cars in fear of blowing up their engines.

I'm not going to be tracking my car weekly, or trying to do 0-60 runs, but after reading about the GE8's ecu essentially voiding any gains from intakes/exhausts, etc. I'd like to eventually get Flashpro, just for the minimal gains alone would be worth it to me. Ofcourse then I'd probably want to go turbo, but not many owners do. After owning a few factory turbo car's, I have to admit I love turbo lag .

Hopefully in a few yrs down the road Hondata releases a Flashpro for the GE8's. I'm in no rush, I'm keeping this car for a looooooong time.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
The market for both the crz and fit are too small. Although the numbers of fits and crz on the street are big, the number of those drivers who are willing to spend the money and are into tuning their vehicles is small. There is too much diversity of drivers. Why hondata decided to build one for the crz, I kave no idea. I find that the crz falls not to far from the same lines as the fit. They are both geared towards fun driving and gas saving but they are also geared to a market of EVERYONE.

As an enthusiast, I would like to see tuning companies show more interest but at the same time, I can see why they do not. Maybe in a few years when our GE8 becomes cheaper and more, and younger, enthusiast own them; tuning companies will see a market to develop products.

Just over the last few months, I have seen a noticeable amount of new products for our GE8. It is slow, but it will happen with time... unless someone has millions of dollars to pay to R&D and have these companies develop parts... LOL!

Old 12-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by bunz559
in a few years when our GE8 becomes cheaper and more, and younger, enthusiast own them; tuning companies will see a market to develop products.
I believe this is key. Not a lot of people are willing to buy a brand new car like a GE, pay 15k+ for it and tear it apart.

I still think at least one of the ECU tuning companies would corner the market early on the GE. I don't really even see the point of bothering with an ECU for the CRZ... i've seen about 10 of them total in the last 6 months, northern and southern california combined lol

I am happy to see a lot more aftermarket parts appearing for the GE though, maybe in four or five years when it's time to retire mine from DD duty I can actually tear it apart and have tons of options for modifications... not holding my breath

Old 01-05-2012, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
When I saw Bisi's post on Facebook about them distributing the FlashPro for CR-Z, he gave me some interesting info on the Fit ECU (Mainly that it's coded differently) and I wrote a long post on the Hondata forum about how disappointed I am about the company that prides itself on being the authority on Honda tuning solutions still makes NOTHING for the Fit, considering a certain member on here has turbocharged a GE8 and tuned the ECU themselves without Hondata, and they claimed the Fit was an economy car and had no market...and stated how bogus that was considering the CR-Z is also an "economy" car.

Link to post:

Hondata • View topic - Still nothing for the L15A7?

You guys can back me up if you want.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Lyon was using a piggy back... not hardly the same thing.

Those principles are universal and the FIC basically provides an easy GUI to use. Cracking the GE8 ECU is an entirely different matter.

And FYI a standalone EMS is far more powerful and flexible than a Flashable ECU. They can also be run in parallelwith the stock ECU.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 01-05-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by EvoFit
your right goobers! your absolutely right! but wait!...early honda civics in the early '90s weren't made or targeted towards the "racey" crowd eaither. i wonder if there was a goober back then also that tried to talk sense into these people who were trying to mod little grocery getters. good thing those early modders listen to the goober of their time and stopped modding their grocery getters. otherwise people might of looked at the honda civic in a new light and actually make aftermarket supports for them. oh wait....
I know, it's been over a month since this was posted... you'll have to forgive me, I was in another country for a month.

My question to you is this... how much of the mods for the Civic were SPECIFIC to the Civic? I mean, parts that would NOT fit any other car (not Accord, Corolla, Spitfire, etc). Then, when were modded ECUs introduced? I wasn't into modding the car (in any fashion) prior to 2001... so I don't know the actual answer to that... but if I had to guess. My guess would be that Civic's had an easier time getting off the shelf parts for modding and that modded ECUs came well after the popularity was established. Didn't early Civics borrow heavily from the Accord?

It's one thing if the Fit proven BEYOND a shadow of the doubt, that there is a HUGE modding community behind it... but there isn't. Just how many modded Fits do you see out there? Heck, I barely see Fits as it is. I do recall seeing LOTS and LOTS of Civics early into the modding craze. Early days of Civics had far more sales (in percentage) to the younger crowd... the Fit is mostly to the older crowd. I wasn't just talking about the target crowd the car was marketed for... but the ACTUAL crowd that bought the car.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Incidentally, it was proven 2 weeks after your post, that even the perceived popularity of the CR-Z didn't land Bisimoto enough buyers... further re-enforcing to a company the dangers of making a product for a community that may or may not exist.

Last edited by Goobers; 01-06-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:21 AM
5 Year Member
for those who were looking to go fast, have an abundant choice of after market parts, and drive a honda should've purchased a Fa5.... what DSM says is harsh but true.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
Really? Here it seems like it's the opposite. Most GD3 owners I've seen are soccer moms and teenage girls that just wanted an economical car and most of the GE owners are young guys like me and middle aged men that wanted something fun to drive and affordable. And as for wanting to go fast, and should have bought an Fa5...

I'm sure several people said the SAME thing about the EF and EG Civics years ago..."Should have bought a Prelude," or something like that.

Sorry, there's just a love you can't explain with a certain chassis. It's like those Nissan guys and the Fairlady Z...there's guys that have driven S30 240/260/280Z's that can't stand the 350 and 370, and there's the newer guys that buy the 350 and 370 and have no appreciation for what came before.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
i want flashpro just to unlock some power that the oem ecm is blocking.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
Jeez... Just be patient ppl. civics in the 90's didn't have support till they were nearly ten years old, which happens to be when most of us losers will have our fits paid off. Just wait homos. Lol