2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Finally got my pipes done! ...Again!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
Finally got my pipes done! ...Again!

Well...I had my first exhaust, that was 2.25" crush bent and cheap with a glasspack.

Finally got sick of the awful drone and the high pitch noise in the upper RPM's. I went to Arkansas Performance Exhaust and had them use a FlowTech Red Hots for a resonator, a cheap N1-copy muffler on Amazon (Decent muffler too) and put it together in 2.5" with mandrel bends from the flange back.

MUCH better...probably how it should have been done in the first place, but I'm young and make mistakes.

The 2.25" step up to 2.5" made somewhat of a difference. I feel like with the crush-bent 2.25," I had harder take off and more torque on tap, but felt like it seemed to peak and then the car seemed to lose acceleration in the top end. With this new one, there's not as hard of take off but it seems to climb and keep a constant accerlation all the way through the RPM's. Passing ability seems to have improved too.

here's a small rev and idle video I took with my phone:

Fit Exhaust! - YouTube

Old 01-26-2012, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
Looks great! The exhaust shop did a good job on those bends. It's hard to find a shop willing to do it the right way.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Looks great! The exhaust shop did a good job on those bends. It's hard to find a shop willing to do it the right way.
This shop was suggested to me by a friend, who had a turbo GSR-swapped EG with a 3-inch exhaust done by them.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Nice! I wish we had somewhere where I live that did that kind of work :/

Old 06-03-2012, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry to zombie this thread, but when I went there, I had never heard of them so I was kinda anxious about going through the exhaust process again after my run ins with the last shop. But when I got there, I saw a drag car I had seen at a few Outlaw/Bracket Racing events and they sponsored him, so I kind of felt better. A few months later, I'm totally happy with this exhaust.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Looks real good and I like the size of the muffler and tip.I hate the huge cans and giant tips and here in Cali the cops will pull you as soon as they see them.

sounds good too!!!

Old 06-03-2012, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zilla8
Looks real good and I like the size of the muffler and tip.I hate the huge cans and giant tips and here in Cali the cops will pull you as soon as they see them.

sounds good too!!!
Thank you. It's fun to mess with people that see it. I was outside Advance buying some stuff, and these three kids were walking behind my car and were pointing and laughing at the muffler and then when I started it up and gave it a rev, they jumped back a bit.

I always get annoyed with people that just stick a muffler on and think it's really something, because it always sounds like farting in a trash can, or throwing a hornets nest in a trash can.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
2.5" seems huge for a 1.5L, but if you felt some gains on the top end, then congrats. Mine certainly does not pull in the vtec range. It just flattens out.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:43 PM
I know the Fit does not have much TQ to begin with so the exhaust diameter is touchy

you need some backpressure to help this little 1.5

I'm stock for now but I may change up later.

the fit has a nice little growl between 5-6K rpm

Old 06-03-2012, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
^ That myth is false. That was one of the first things they taught us in Auto-Tech.

The truth about exhaust backpressure and torque

Backpressure causing the engine to have torque is a myth. Power gains from exhaust is all about exhaust velocity and how well the gas can flow. If you use a 2.5" exhaust on a Fit with a factory manifold, and think it feels strange, then it more than likely has something to do with the fact the collector does not match the piping. Which will reduce exhaust gas velocity. The type of bends contributes a lot too, mandrel bent will flow better than crush-bent.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Too big of piping = Reduced exhaust velocity.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
And I felt the L15A7 was pretty torquey for its displacement. Compared to a D16z6 powered Del Sol. It just is very watered down from what it could be. Bisimoto has claimed the ports are one of the weak points. If you really want to talk about torque-less engines, let's talk about the F22C.

Oh wait, it has torque...just not until 7000 RPM's. (No offense to S2K owners/fans, 2 of my friends own them.)

2.5" isn't that much bigger than what the Skunk2 MegaPower is. I think part of the problem with our cars is the fact the exhaust manifold is integrated into the cylinder head and uses a 4-1 configuration with a ridiculously small collector and tubing between cats.

And I'm well aware what too big of piping can do.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:16 PM
A big part of filling the cylinder is using exhaust scavenging. During the overlap time when both valves are open, the rushing exhaust gasses start to draw in some intake charge before the piston starts down the intake stroke. A properly sized exhaust maximizes velocity of the exiting gasses which helps draw more intake charge in.

If you have a torque peak at 2500 rpms and you put on a 5" exhaust, the velocity won't be there to help torque at 2500 rpms. It won't reach a velocity that is beneficial until 7000 rpms or so. Therefore, choosing an exhasut that is too big can lower torque production]
I wish I were this smart got it from cargather.com

Old 06-06-2012, 07:28 PM
you should have kept your 2.25"

here's my custom 2.25" straight mid-pipe with only 3 bends... GE8 Exhaust

Old 06-28-2012, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
My 1/8 times were faster after the new exhaust. With the same configuration otherwise. And the temperature outside was even hotter and it was more humid when I ran with the new exhaust than when I ran with the old one...

Being too big of piping was one thing that bugged me about moving from 2.25" to 2.5", but when it came down to it, it was much easier to find a muffler and glasspack with a 2.5" inlet than a 2.25" inlet that didn't break the bank. It wouldn't have made sense to have 2.25" of pipe then a 2.5" glasspack back to 2.25" pipe. I did consider a loss in torque, but then I saw that 2.5" isn't much bigger than the Skunk2 exhausts so figured it wouldn't be so bad.

So far, it's better than what I had--Better top end, same low end, along with better sound and it doesn't rub under the car anymore on a hard bump.