2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

New California 2013 Fit legal power mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 02:02 PM
New California 2013 Fit legal power mods

Hey freakers, need help...
Just got a 2013 fit sport 5 speed and was curious if there are any simple bolt on mods I can do that wont mess with my computer or make my car non smog legal. Im in california and want more Horse Power...
Gonna do the swift springs and spoon front / progress back sway bars as well...
Thanks
Me !

Old 10-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Cat back exhaust, drop in "performance" air filters, that's about it. Whether or not the possibility of modified exhaust tickets are worth the 2hp is up to you. It may be legal to change the cat back but if it doesn't pass dB check you'll still get fined. Even if it's legal it can be a hassle depending on your local LEOs.

Stick with handling and weight reduction stuff. Unless you're going turbo the cost vs. reward is negligible in CA with the Fit engine performance mods. Either that or you can try to figure out how to swap in a K series from a 2013 Civic Si and get it BAR'd. AFAIK this has never been done, so you'd be the first

Old 10-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Banned
Any alteration of stock exhaust system is illegal and ticket-worthy in CA. It just depends on how closely a CHP officer or city cop wants to look at your car. Your own attitude in a law enforcement stop and/or excessive noise is almost certain to get your car looked over by someone who wants to find an easy reason to screw up your day.

I'm in CA, and my '09's exhaust is not stock, but it isn't obvious and isn't loud except for full acceleration.

As was posted above, exhaust mods won't gain you enough to be worth tickets/fines and the cost to retrofit back to stock. My stock system is still brand new sitting on a shelf and only needs one weld to put it back on the car, just in case it is ever needed again.

This is not meant to discourage you. If you don't mind the risks, knock yourself out on your mods. Just FYI- intake mods are also illegal, ticket-worthy, and will fail a smog test in five years when your first test comes due. Again, mine is not stock, and for my fist smog test next year, I have to replace the stock intake, brand new, sitting on a shelf.

Last edited by Triskelion; 10-03-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Ok so it sounds like I need to get a performance air filter, and a turbo kit...
Can you reccomend a good smog legal turbo kit that will pass smog in California?
Are people running 17 inch wheels on 2013 fits with swift lowering springs?
thanks Im new to this form

Old 10-10-2013, 05:33 PM
why buy an expensive performance filter that passes Cali laws, yet rip it out and do a turbo?

Many of the aftermarket intakes are CARB legal in cali. Weapon R header is definitely NOT legal, as it removes your catalytic converts.

Some catbacks are legal, but they are expensive. as in spending over $600 expensive.

I would just do a K&N filter, remove the top airbox panel (two bolts/screws), install stock spark plugs from a 2002-ish Honda S2000 (Denso PK22PR11, and run your car in 91 or 93 octane.

It took my car two full tanks worth of driving to adjust to the colder spark plugs and give me a jump in power and gas mileage

Old 10-10-2013, 09:11 PM
I don't think there are any CARB approved intakes for the GE. If there are I'd get one though for shits and giggles.

There's no CARB legal turbos for GE. The HKS is CARBd for the GD. I was just saying if you're going to break the law might as well go big lol

Old 10-10-2013, 09:22 PM
Banned
Injen intakes were CARB legal for GD3's, but I don't know about the status for GE8's. The intake makers have to pay and re-apply for any product changes from year to year.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Triskelion
Injen intakes were CARB legal for GD3's, but I don't know about the status for GE8's. The intake makers have to pay and re-apply for any product changes from year to year.
don't they also have to get it certified on a model year by model year basis as well?

the carb certification is extortion that started out as well-meaning legislation. thanks commiefornia!

Old 10-15-2013, 07:49 AM
Last question, I ordered a dry air filter from AJ Racing, they sent me an oiled one..
whats the difference and does it really matter? how often does the oiled one need cleaning and re oiling? can I just clean it and not oil it? Thanks peeps you guys are really helpful..
I guess Im just going to do swift springs, progress sway bar and a bit wider wheel..
and just stick with the air filter..

Old 10-15-2013, 08:58 AM
I just clean and oil my K&N once a year or so, but I don't have a lot of dust here and it doesn't get very dirty unless I spend a lot of time in Nevada (friends with dirt roads lol).

You've got to re-oil after cleaning. the filter media is not woven tight and the oil helps keep larger particles from passing through. If they sent you the wrong one just exchange it. You should get what you paid for, don't settle for convenience. Maybe they'll compensate you for their mistake? They seem like a fairly upstanding business.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
Leave it stock op

Old 12-02-2013, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
im sure u've got the mod bug. but my suggestion, leave it stock. or drop it, get ur choice of lips (there's not much to choose from), and get some new wheels. as mentioned, the reward of power mods aren't worth it.

or u could gut it, add some bars, and get a nice coil over set. u would have a fun autocross ride or canyon ripper.