2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

DIY: Apexi VAFC 1st Gen

Old 09-04-2014, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 13fit View Post
so you have had this for a couple months. Any new thoughts? Any noticeable MPG gain? better uphill driving?

I'm thinking about going this route, since I am ASSuming Hondata is still going to take their sweet time, even though they got some attention with their recent poll
My MPG are ~32... It's dragged down from Auto-xing and Track-days. I still haven't dyno'd it; if I get the money to dyno, I'd rather spend it on a track-day.

I have no complaints up hill, the car pulls. I have top end issues (every Fit has top-end issues with only +/- 100hp). On the front straight the Fit runs out of steam before turn 1, even on a short track. I've been considering supercharging for more top end.

I still stand my ground; I believe Hondata will not come out with a tuner. Looking at sales from the SI and sales for the GD... I speculate the Fit is a waste of resources for Hondata when comparing it to more profitable cars like the SI.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kylerwho View Post
Im confused, why would honda ever drop a/f ratio down to 11:1 aside from warm up?

that is just way to rich for a stock engine.
Clarification:

On the highway at cruise: the OEM GE runs at 15:1 for better gas mileage.

At Wide Open Throttle (WOT): the OEM GE runs at 11:1, most people who buy a Honda use Low-Octane fuel. 11:1=Rich. Rich is protection against knock when using Low-Octane gas. Rich also lowers head temps amongst other preventative measures.

Depending on mods, Octane used and other tuning capabilities (ignition timing, VVT...); Honda's after a performance tune is around ~13:1 +/- at WOT.

Last edited by De36; 09-04-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:18 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
looking at it from a manufacturers stand point on reliability makes sense.

rep for you both.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by kylerwho View Post
looking at it from a manufacturers stand point on reliability makes sense.

rep for you both.

Honda has a reputation to maintain lol

It does tend to translate into MORE happiness when you finally get a proper tune, because you get a chance to use all that extra bottled up power. If you do proper engine maintenance, you will never see the negatives from "fixing" the fueling. Simply means you need to be on the ball a lot more, and do preventative maintenance, like doing cooling system pressure tests once in awhile, or plug in a scanner and see how some of the sensors are reporting

That cheap sub-$100 scanner at Harbor Freight allows you to choose a sensor and make a scaled chart. I use it during idle with everything off to watch for any random burps/farts in the scale, and then I track down a pattern and wallah, got a base reading on the motor while its still very young.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:57 AM
Nice DIY. I wanna do the same for my honda jazz. I'm planning to add the apex vafc2 even though that i will not be able to use the vtec. Just for future upgrade jus in case. Can anyone help on how to do the DIY connections on Jazz GD1 ecu? I cannot find any ecu pinout for my jazz GD1 EU.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by iceryan View Post
Nice DIY. I wanna do the same for my honda jazz. I'm planning to add the apex vafc2 even though that i will not be able to use the vtec. Just for future upgrade jus in case. Can anyone help on how to do the DIY connections on Jazz GD1 ecu? I cannot find any ecu pinout for my jazz GD1 EU.
If you are trying to find the appropriate ECU terminals I suggest contact APEXI, like I did. They are very helpful and very willing to help. I posted the phone # in the OP.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by De36 View Post
If you are trying to find the appropriate ECU terminals I suggest contact APEXI, like I did. They are very helpful and very willing to help. I posted the phone # in the OP.

How the hell did I miss this thread. HUGE thanks for the DIY information. I have been looking for information like this for quite a while now. All I need is the ECU pinouts as well. Air/Fuel ratio that I'm shooting for is between 13.0:1 - 13.5:1 on 92 octane. I'm looking to do this on the 2015. I'll keep searching for the ECU pinout. This is all I need. Thanks!

Old 11-02-2014, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the reply. I will give them a call. Is there a way where apexi co. can send a wiring diagram via an email or do I to be on the phone while doing the connection? What I really need is the ecu pinout of jazz gd1 europe version and I've no luck searching over the internet. I found something but it was from the USDM and I red that it's different.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:07 AM
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx View Post
How the hell did I miss this thread. HUGE thanks for the DIY information. I have been looking for information like this for quite a while now. All I need is the ECU pinouts as well. Air/Fuel ratio that I'm shooting for is between 13.0:1 - 13.5:1 on 92 octane. I'm looking to do this on the 2015. I'll keep searching for the ECU pinout. This is all I need. Thanks!
Keep in mind you want it a tad rich with higher octane. Kick it off with a goal of around 12.8, then lean out from there, as improvements will be minor. heck, 12.0 is leaner then factory (assuming GK is tuned comparable to GE and GD, factory richness around 11.5 or richer)

Old 01-12-2017, 04:41 PM
Hey DE36 how did u wire your AF guage
I am installing the apexi af turbo timer and cannot get the af to work

Old 01-12-2017, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SQUARE1GE8 View Post
Hey DE36 how did u wire your AF guage
I am installing the apexi af turbo timer and cannot get the af to work
I called Apexi directly to help and they helped me wire it. They are very friendly and willing to help. I suggest you call them for help.