2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Coolant Temperature Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 12:36 PM
Coolant Temperature Sensor

Hi, I have a problem and need your help, my car have an error, say: Temperature coolant sensor in the scaner, I want to know how this affects the performance of my car , I want to know if it could cause high fuel consumption and how serious the problem.

The car have the chek engine on with this error in the scaner.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
Basically, you want to know what happens if you ignore this issue?

Well, if you ignore the coolant too long, the radiator could blow its relief valve once the engine and coolant get too hot... then you end up with an overheated engine. Force an overheated engine to run too long after that and you get a damaged engine... and possibly, you stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Until you're stuck somewhere, a hotter than normal engine will cause 'knock' (where the fuel starts burning too early), forcing the timing to retard out of efficiency range, and overall using up more gas. Not to mention the damage to the engine caused by too much knock.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by romansprott
Hi, I have a problem and need your help, my car have an error, say: Temperature coolant sensor in the scaner, I want to know how this affects the performance of my car , I want to know if it could cause high fuel consumption and how serious the problem.

The car have the chek engine on with this error in the scaner.
You did not report the actual code and that would help. Check the actual temp that the sensor reports with a scanner. Any scanner should be able to read the temp reported. If the reading does not make sense, check for a bad connection at the temperature sensor and then bad readings from the sensor. Replace sensor if acting improperly. This is under warranty for at least 60.000 mi., maybe more. It is part of the pollution control system.