2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

D'OH!!! Brought the wrong plugs...ok to use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
D'OH!!! Brought the wrong plugs...ok to use?

So whilst shopping for the best price on plugs I missed one letter @Denso (KJ20DR vs SKJ20DR) and ended up with standard (copper) plugs instead of iridium.....

checking online, I've found info saying that while the life span will be much shorter than iridium (50 instead of 100k), copper is a better conductor and better for NA engines...

so what do you all think, ok to use?

thinking of doing this when I replace my cat and fuel sensor when it gets warmer out....unless I punk out and shell the $500 they want to do it for me.

unless any of you out there are licensed and wiling to do this on the side....I'm in staten island and can go within NY/NJ to make it happen....pm me if interested.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
man.....after seeing how much conversation oil or fuel grades draw, I thought i was going to get more answers than this.....

Old 01-07-2015, 07:43 PM
They might be fine, but honestly, do you want to do the PITA plug change any sooner than you have to? Just return/exchange/sell them and get the right ones.

The plug change might seem daunting from looking at the DIY but it's honestly not that bad. Just go slow and be careful with the cowl if you decide to take it off... pull gently. I only broke one clip and it was not that important of a clip so I just left it as is and reinstalled.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
Appreciate the reply....

Unfortunately it was an ebay purchase, 6 for $30 so returning them would put me out a bit....

getting to the plugs isnt an issue, I've had to do it a number of times already....my issue is with tightening the plugs and worrying about striping the threads or not making it tight enough and them loosening over time as the previous set did (dealer installed).

Thanks again!

Old 01-09-2015, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not a mechanic or anything close... but since they're the same "colder" plug and the only difference is iridium vs copper... wouldn't they still work the same but with a lower life expectancy (as listed)?

So are the SKJ20DR the correct ones to get? Will probably do this in the Spring.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
If you ask me, I would never install anything other than what's recommended for the car by the manufacturer. There is a lot of complex physics involved in designing the ignition system and for it function as designed, one needs to keep it in the original state.
The plugs have resistance that is matched the coil, computer, etc. Sure, other plugs will work, but they can never be exactly the same as OEM plugs.

That's why I would also suggest getting the factory plugs. If saving 30$ or however much is more important to you, then just use them. The sky will not fall.