2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 2nd Gen GE8 Honda Fit

Oopsie - need options for antenna for 2009 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
Oopsie - need options for antenna for 2009 Fit

Well, we had an oopsie tonight where our 2009 Fit got backed into a closing garage door which just happened to catch the antenna on its way down.

The antenna base managed to dent the roof a bit and the whole assembly is now floating about 1/4-1/2 inch above the roof.

So I'm entertaining options for a repair:

One option is to take it in and let the body shop deal with it.

Another is to try to push the dent out myself by pushing on the inside and hopefully restoring the original shape so that the antenna base will seal again to the roof.

A third option might be to use one of those adhesive shark fin antennas to seal around the old base. I see Visual Garage was recommended in the past but they seem to be out of business now? (webpage is under construction and eBay store is empty)

Looking for some advice and thoughts on how to go about making the repair.

Thanks in advance!

Also, could it be that the antenna unit itself got pulled up and all I need to do is to take it off and pound the mount back down a bit?

Old 06-18-2014, 02:00 AM
5 Year Member
If you do manage to push the dent out (in older cars you just punch the roof from the inside, wouldn't wanna do it on newer cars however). You'll still have an outline around where there was a dent, I mean if you're fine with that then there's no problem giving it a shot.

Those aftermarket fin antennas, they'll probably kill signal quality, but if you don't listen to the radio then it's not a problem.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo
...Those aftermarket fin antennas, they'll probably kill signal quality, but if you don't listen to the radio then it's not a problem.
If you don't listen to the radio why would you even need an antenna??

Shark fins have fine reception. Didn't know that Virtual Garage was out of business. Plenty of options on Ebay though and also the CRZ comes with a shark fin stock so if your Fit matches a CRZ color that could be an option.

_

Old 06-18-2014, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
Reception is fine on my Shark Fin . JB comes in loud and clear.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:13 PM
Buy a replacement base and antenna, drop the headliner, remove the old base, try to tap the dent out, replace base, done.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for all the responses. I was able to get in contact with Visual Garage and ordered a shark fin antenna. (This after the body shop gave me an initial $1100 quote to fix it.)

I'm going to attempt to get the roof back to the original shape as much as possible and then apply the shark fin antenna to cover and seal against whatever small gaps might be left between the roof and the original base.