2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Change tweeters in 09 Sport Fit??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Change tweeters in 09 Sport Fit??

I'm looking at how far forward on the dash the tweeters are and I'm wondering how I'm going to get to them. Is it going to require a full dash disassembly or is there a way to pop the plastic speaker grill off and get to the tweeters that way.

Any thoughts/help/advice regarding accessing those tweeters would be appreciated.

-Darryl

Old 01-17-2009, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by madhartigan
I'm looking at how far forward on the dash the tweeters are and I'm wondering how I'm going to get to them. Is it going to require a full dash disassembly or is there a way to pop the plastic speaker grill off and get to the tweeters that way.

Any thoughts/help/advice regarding accessing those tweeters would be appreciated.

-Darryl

Im looking to upgrade my speakers soon too and had the same question. Im "hoping" that the tweeter and the grill are connected. By pulling off the grill, I hope the tweets follow. All we would have to do next is figure out how to mount the new tweeters onto the factory grill and pop them back in. Lets hope thats the case!

Old 01-26-2009, 07:57 PM
If my memory serves me correctly, in the service manual it shows the tweeter and surround snapping right out of the dash (no need to disassemble the dash).

Old 02-05-2009, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
I popped the tweeter out of the dash today to take a look and see what fits. If you look from outside the car through the windshield, you'll see a slot where you can put a screwdriver in and pry it out. The tweeter came out with the grill and you could probably fit any aftermarket tweeter in there. Just going to take a little imagination. Sorry but I didnt have a camera handy for pics. Im going to install Rainbow 6.5" components into the front and maybe the rear doors too.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:27 PM
i believe the stock tweeters are 3/4.... anything could fit as long as their not dome tweeters

Old 03-19-2009, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
Popped mine out and took photos for reference:

Guess I'll end up selling my 5.25" A/D/S component set, even the tweeters won't work (dome)!

I did install the A/D/S domes briefly...had to pull treble ALL the way down just to make it bearable, even then they just don't sound quite right without their massive crossover connected and a separate amp powering them... (I run my stock tweeters at 50% gain).

Last edited by reako; 03-19-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
Guess I'll end up selling my 5.25" A/D/S component set, even the tweeters won't work (dome)!

Did you want the tweeters to fit behind the factory grills? My installer had to dremel the grill portion of the factory tweeter so that the Rainbow tweeter would fit inside. It doesnt look completely stock anymore but I think it looks pretty good.
Name:  IMG_0164.jpg
Views: 3381
Size:  41.5 KB

Old 03-19-2009, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by aenokea
Did you want the tweeters to fit behind the factory grills? My installer had to dremel the grill portion of the factory tweeter so that the Rainbow tweeter would fit inside. It doesnt look completely stock anymore but I think it looks pretty good.
Yours looks just about as perfect as I could imagine! I don't care about keeping the factory grills. At this point it's just an issue with committing to my A/D/S component set which doesn't really fit my car (5.25"). Plus, running all new wires out to the massive crossovers they require would be a relatively large project for me - and I would have to buy a nice amp for them real soon $$$.... If I had a matching 6.5" component set (even with domes) I would definitely consider it, but until then I may have to run stock for a bit and sell off the A/D/S set....but I'm on a bad site for selling 5.25" speakers! Might try Craigslist later this week...

Last edited by reako; 03-19-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
That Rainbow tweeter install looks nice.

Reako, you can still use the 5.25s, just gotta get an adapter plate for them. Either way it's a big job to do all the wiring and stuff, but if you do it now and you want to upgrade to 6.5s later all you gotta do is pop em in.....oh yeah, and remount crossovers

Old 03-20-2009, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cbs1013
That Rainbow tweeter install looks nice.

Reako, you can still use the 5.25s, just gotta get an adapter plate for them. Either way it's a big job to do all the wiring and stuff, but if you do it now and you want to upgrade to 6.5s later all you gotta do is pop em in.....oh yeah, and remount crossovers
True, true! I guess I'm hoping there's someone out there with a 6.5" set they can't use, who would switch for my 5.25".. (unlikely) I'm still debating on it though...thanks for you input!

Old 03-23-2009, 01:29 AM
Crutchfield has a few speaker kits for the Fit. This link is for the 2009 front door kits: Find Car Audio/Video Gear that Fits Your Vehicle at Crutchfield!

Old 08-17-2009, 05:34 PM
For those that have swapped out the factory tweeters, did you reuse the factory wiring or run new wire to the crossover?

Old 09-16-2011, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by aenokea

Hey, I bought a 2010 Fit that was vandalized and I am completely missing those tweeters with the grills. All I have is two holes in the dash. I really like how those that you put in look like.

Can you tell me what's the brand and where did you buy them? I am fine with stock system, all I need is those two twitters. Thanks a lot!

Old 09-21-2011, 02:47 AM
Originally Posted by ExtremeDrive
Hey, I bought a 2010 Fit that was vandalized and I am completely missing those tweeters with the grills. All I have is two holes in the dash. I really like how those that you put in look like.

Can you tell me what's the brand and where did you buy them? I am fine with stock system, all I need is those two twitters. Thanks a lot!
Those are the stock tweeter housings (which you are missing if you have holes in your dash) that have been modified to fit the Rainbow tweeters.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:00 AM
5 Year Member
My install log shows the tweeter removed from the dash which is very easy to do with either a small flat head screw driver (put a small rag under it to not scratch the dash) or a 45degree pick tool.

And after popping out the factory tweeter I used 5min apoxy to mount the after market tweeter to the underside of the grill.

Keeps the total stock look and sounds pretty decent for staging.