2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Center Console - be wary

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
Center Console - be wary

I recently bought a white Fit Sport. It comes with a fold down armrest and a center console with large cubbyholes that can be used as cupholders, as well.

I got the center console installed today, where the top is leather like and slides forward and contains an interior storage area.

I really really really hate it. So the warning (and lesson) is: Do NOT get this console unless and until you see it in person, installed, and you sit in the car and fiddle with it, rest your arm on it, etc.

The problems with it: It's a tad flimsy (and it ain't cheap). Second, it is farther away from the driver's seat, so it's possible (as in my case) that your arm will not actually reach from the armrest to the steering wheel. That's right! The cheapo fold down armrest was comfortable, sat a bit lower, and I could actually use it as an armrest. No more. I can barely put the tip of my elbow on it, and my fingers just barely reach the bottom of the steering wheel. Also, the storage in it is minimal, compared to what you lost in the prior console. The open-up storage is very shallow. The console is also narrow. You will not be able to put CDs in it, or anything much. Maybe change and parking cards, things like that.

In short, it sucks.

I'm on my way back to the dealer to pick up my old parts, so that I can have it put back the way it was. When I get rid of this car, I'll give the "new" console with the car, so the new owner can choose which system he wants to use.

I feel very foolish for having succumbed to the sales pitch for that thing. It's almost totally useless, and flimsy to boot.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:05 PM
To each their own, I suppose. I really like mine, but drive a stick and let my arm rest while shifting. I don't really find it flimsy.

BTW there are a few aftermarket armrests available that don't fold and have more storage space than the OEM one (for CDs and such). Something to consider maybe.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I'm still thinking of getting one since mine didn't come with it. But certainly don't want to pay >$200 dealer price... Thanks for the insight though...

Old 09-12-2011, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
nice input. i was considering getting one but after ur experience, makes me think that i may have the same problem. the stock driver arm rest on the seat is too short already. i am not a tall guy, 5'9, but my elbow barely sits on the end of the armrest when driving... i really dislike this since i have a AT and my right arm does not have to shift.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
I like it.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Cool Love mine...

Can't imagine having the car without it...the one week I drove with the flimsy arm rest that comes with the car was enough for me...but I am not a midget with short arms...

Old 09-13-2011, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
How tall are you? For me the fold down armrest on the seat is completely useless because it puts my arm too close to my body.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
Gotta pipe in and say I love mine. Saved lots of cash by installing this sucker on myself. I don't have any issues with it. I also like that it serves as an armrest for the front passenger as well (if you both have skinny arms). To each their own indeed.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
Added Comments about the armrest

First, I have to apologize for the overly negative review of the added and installed armrest I got, which replaced the folding armrest that came with the Sport AT. I had just had it installed, and that was the first time I'd seen it in person, so I was shocked at how different it was from what I expected. Especially considering the cost.

To revise my review, first I'll say that if your car didn't come with an armrest, the one Honda will install will definitely be an improvement, I would think. But I already had an arm rest that was working very well for me.

My main point, I think, would be to see it in person before you get it, and actually sit in a car to examine the length of it, how it feels for your arm, etc. I didn't get that opportunity, so I was surprised to find that it was a bit further away from the seat than the one that I had before, which makes the new one not very useful for me. But if someone finds the old armrest a bit too close, then the new one might be more comfortable for you.

I was able to prop up my purse in between the front seats, on the other side of the old armrest, and still have my arm rest to use. With the new one, there's no room to put my purse on the other side of it. If I put my purse on the new arm rest, I can't use the arm rest.

The picture of the armrest indicates that it is bigger than it actually is. So I was disappointed in that. I thought it would be wider and have deeper cubbyholes.

It also is not worth paying someone to install it. If you already have an arm rest, it'd be nothing to replace it with the new one, even if you're not handy with cars. So I felt foolish, when I saw that.

I have my old arm rest, but am still using the new one. I've gotten more used to it & don't hate it as much. But I still don't like it. If it were an inch wider, and an inch deeper in height, for the same price, that would make a difference.

My arms are somewhat short, anyway. I've had to remove the headrest in the car, so that I can put the back of seat in a more upright position so that I can comfortably reach the steering wheel. But if you're male (who have longer arms), you might find the arm rest not too far away for you.

I guess my main point is...don't go by the pictures, like I did. They just didn't have one to show me, so that's why I went by the pics. Make sure you see it and experience it, before getting it.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the update... still want one... still don't have one... just don't have time and not hi-pri on my list at the moment.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:00 PM
I like mine, no issues here. An improvement for my car, agreed to each their own...

Old 09-21-2011, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
I have yet to see a NON OEM one that doesn't look like a complete waste of money quality wise. If anyone knows of one, or has bought one post up pics/info plz.