2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Can i add a cigerette lighter plug right here? i have pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
Can i add a cigerette lighter plug right here? i have pics

Name:  DSC002402.jpg
Views: 4845
Size:  121.2 KB

and does anyone know what i can buy and instructions on how to do it? I wanted to move my GPS hook up to that side, instead of it being in the way of my cup holders.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
Instead of installing another cigarette lighter there you should jut hard-wire the GPS to the fuse box with an add-a-fuse and drill a hole somewhere in the dash for the wire and put a grommet around it. It would look a lot nicer. I don't think you can fit a cigarette lighter on any of those locations but I don't know cause I have a GD and the switch plates are smaller.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
yeah but what if i changed GPS? or moved the GPS from different cars.

well.. i sorta don't mind it going across my stearing wheel down to the middle dash.. but i rather it be all in 1 side.

whats the name of those 3 slots avaible? maybe i can start doing some google searches if i can find some good key words to type in

Old 11-05-2009, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vash
well.. i sorta don't mind it going across my stearing wheel down to the middle dash.. but i rather it be all in 1 side.
I'd be weary of doing that and won't for prolonged periods in my 09. We made a few cross country trips in my wife's 08 and let the cable rest on the middle of the dash and it rubbed off some of the color.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike2100
I'd be weary of doing that and won't for prolonged periods in my 09. We made a few cross country trips in my wife's 08 and let the cable rest on the middle of the dash and it rubbed off some of the color.
really? well. mines not on the dash. it corssed over the stearing wheel, cuz i have mine mounted on that small quarter window

Old 11-05-2009, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vash
really? well. mines not on the dash. it corssed over the stearing wheel, cuz i have mine mounted on that small quarter window
Honestly, if you plan to keep the thing mobile, going over the steering wheel is probably your best bet. The best place to add additional cigarette lighter sockets is right next to the existing one in the GEs.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:35 PM
An add-a-fuse is your best bet, honestly. You will not be able to plug an aftermarket cigarette lighter in there, and it'll look much cleaner without it. You can put the wire from the fusebox up through where the dash piece and the door trim left of that vent location (I'd include a pic but I can't save your picture...) The add-a-fuse is invisible behind your fuse box cover and is also reversible if you don't want the GPS later down the road for whatever reason. And if you want to switch to a different GPS you can most likely leave the power wire as most of the connections are the same. If not, you can cut the old wire and use a wire connector to connect the new to the old using the same add-a-fuse.

**Note**If you do end up using the add-a-fuse, connect it to your "Power Windows" fuse location...this makes it so that as soon as the key is turned the GPS will come on until the key is removed and you open your door. It's the best!!!

Last edited by skytanker2003; 12-09-2009 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Adding information
Old 12-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Its funny you have that setup- I have a nuvi 265tw and I keep it in the same place- but, I pushed the wire into the gap in the trimwork under the steering wheel.... gimme a bit and Ill take some pics.

Edit:
Got some pics (iphone, sorry)
Name:  photo-1.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  65.2 KB
Name:  photo-2.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  55.9 KB
Name:  photo-3.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  63.2 KB

Last edited by kiggs; 12-25-2009 at 11:10 PM. Reason: adding photos
Old 12-27-2009, 03:05 AM
This may be a dumb question, but in looking at the add-a-fuse it looks like they all have just 1 wire coming off. Can you elaborate on how to hardwire a gps with add-a-fuse? Also to do this would i just cut off the 12v outlet that it came with?

Old 12-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Um, im actually kinda stuck there- For my birthday, my girlfriend is going to have it hardwired, (best buy does it for $50, and since they wired my bazooka sub, im pretty happy with it) and Ill see what they do to it, and let you know. Im just going to purchase another 12v dc cable in case I need to move the unit from car to car.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kiggs
Its funny you have that setup- I have a nuvi 265tw and I keep it in the same place- but, I pushed the wire into the gap in the trimwork under the steering wheel.... gimme a bit and Ill take some pics.

Edit:
Got some pics (iphone, sorry)

sorry i haven't checked this in a while i did the same thing! i'll post more pics of what i done tomorrow. i have a VERY simular setup as you but i didn't tuck in the wires untill after it crossed the stearing wheel. i'll get out tomorrow and try and tuck it in from the side like you, i hope it turns out ok

Old 01-03-2010, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Nighthawk_GD3
This may be a dumb question, but in looking at the add-a-fuse it looks like they all have just 1 wire coming off. Can you elaborate on how to hardwire a gps with add-a-fuse? Also to do this would i just cut off the 12v outlet that it came with?
Add a fuse is for the (red) hotwire.
Black wire will go to ground. Just crimp on a spade or loop connector for ground.
There should be several good ground points near the fuse box.

I think college hills honda has video and instructions for installing both the ambient light kit and the bluetooth link.
I believe it shows a bolt right next to the fuse box you can use as ground.

Your GPS will use/need about 3 to 5 volts DC, which means your 12v lighter connector has a small transformer somehere on that cable. It might be in a small cylinder several inches from the lighter plug or it may be intergral to the plug. If you are not sure you best bet is something like this:
Amazon.com: GA-NHWC: Garmin Nuvi Hardwire Cable (Mini-USB connector) for Garmin Nuvi 200 200W 205 205W 250 250W 255 255W 260 260W 265 265W 270 300 310 350 360 370 500 550 600 610 650 660 670 680 750 760 770 780 850 860 880 Maestro 3200 3210 3220 3250

Old 01-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Yeah, the wire goes to the positive and the negative goes to the frame. You just put the add-a-fuse into a switched circuit (I used fuse number 10- the rear wiper fuse).

I just hardwired my GPS last night.

The BIG problem is that you cannot cut or splice the GPS cord. You have to source out a cigarette lighter socket, (but, good news vash, you can just add just a socket- more on that after I explain the GPS) and then direct wire the socket, plug in the GPS cord, and route that. Now, My cord has the plug for the GPS which is not too small, and a block in the cord about 8-9 inches from the plug.

This makes for a h3llacious wire routing. I routed the wire in between the tan and black interior bodywork. I tried to use fishing line and such to just pull the plug up, but it boiled down to pulling up the weather striping, and pulling the plug up through the gap in the black and tan- the problem is that there are mounts for the fuse box that get in the way and squeeze that badly placed box thing.... so you have to use a scary amount of elbow grease. I undid the dash mount bolts (they are the 3 bolts with bolt covers that yo can see when you open the car door) to give it maybe alittle more room, I don't know if it helped much at all, but I finally got the plug and wire through and with enough slack to actually mount the GPS. I had to mount the GPS lower and closer than I had it, but it's actually now easier to read and use, so that worked out.

As for wiring, the direct wire kit is something you can buy at an autoparts store or a super walmart. I bought a direct wire kit, 10 amp fuses (which may or may not be too high.... the auto guy said to slap a 25 amp fuse in there for a GPS.... Don't do that: "An expensive component will sacrifice itself to save a cheap fuse".), extra wire, and, after searching high and low, at walmart, I found not only one, or two, but three perfect plugs.

At walmart they sell a cigarette lighter plug that is a splitter- turns one plug into two. I grabbed this (for $3) and I now have two plugs, in case I wanna get crazy and hardwire a cell phone charger or something. They also sell an extender, and also just a socket for wiring. The reason I put such emphasis on this is (and I realize this is a store to store difference) but here, when I went to radioshack and advanced auto parts, I was on my own. Asking for assitance in ad.auto parts got me a bunch of shrugs, no actual "lemme see what we have" and radioshack was some old codger who interrupted my question with a "We don't do auto stuff here.". (JERK!)

Anyways, yup, the two plug was made by bell, I cut off one of the heads, wired the direct wire to the black with white stripe (which means positive- had to google to be sure) and spliced on some extra black wire (so I could reach a grounding bolt- give yourself a foot, thats really all you need, and it'll keep the wire cool) and then plugged the add-a-curcuit into fuse 10, and the black onto a bolt just left of the brake mounting pedal area.

Im going back under it all in a couple of days to also direct wire my radar thats coming in, so when I do that I'll take some pictures.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
Hey Vash...you can also hide the wire even more by putting it inside the weathe stripping. I have my gps mounted like that. The plug, I have precariously (when not in use) laying on the lower dash cover (can get it out really easy if using). and then the wire goes across the under dash cover, and then comes up where the hood release is but instead of having the wire just going, I tucked it under the weather stripping so it is not visible again until it comes out above the cupholder.

Here's my plug coming out
Name:  IMG_4217.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  81.4 KB

The cord going from the pillar into the lower dash cover
Name:  IMG_4218.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  33.9 KB

Where I have the plug hidden
Name:  IMG_4219.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  65.4 KB

My hand retrieving the plug

The plug coming out with plenty of slack to be plugged in
Name:  IMG_4221.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  97.1 KB

I don't use my GPS every day, probably not even every week. So it benefits me to have the wire in there, ready to go, but the actual unit stays at home until we venture out to the big city (lol). This helps keep it hidden also for thieves. I just unhook the suction from the quarter window, and you can't even tell it's been there.

Last edited by Btrthnezr3; 01-03-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Getting it hardwired is the best option, as they'll hide the wire for you too. Also, the location you pointed out is too contoured and irregular for the cig plug, especially since all those blank switches pop out

Old 02-01-2010, 05:57 PM
You mean like this?

Old 02-01-2010, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
That looks sweet akmccue...please enlighten us.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:24 PM
After seeing the original post and replies I wanted to see if it would work 'cause I thought it looked like a good place for an outlet and very accessable so I ordered the parts from CFLHonda.com and warmed up my Dremel. The panel, if irepably damaged, is only $9 so I figured I could live with that. It IS too narrow (1" vs about 1 1/16 needed) but will flex if pushed. I just trimmed the unecessary bits away and cut a key slot for the keyed portion (so it doesn't rotate in the hole). I pushed it in and wiggled it untill it seemed seated. Doesn't seem to move or want to come back out so I think it's good to go. If it developes an independant streak and starts moving I may put a dollop of adhesive in there to hold it in place but so far so good. I added it to the rear wiper circuit because it was a 10 amp fuse and that was the max for the tap I bought. Grounded it to the structural metal found behind the dash panels with a drill and screw. I'm looking forward to hooking up a GPS and heading across country to New Mexico this fall ( the best time of year for the desert). There is another location just to the right of this bank of switches that would work with a simple hole drilled but the mount would require a shim as the plastic is too thin and the accessory outlet would be loose. At least that's the way it seemed to me after checking the dimensions with a caliper. Probably a cleaner installation though.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:03 PM
akmccue...
can you post the part #s for the parts you ordered? I can't find 'em.
Thanks for the help, I'm looking to mount my iPhone there.