2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Tweeter wiring?

Old 02-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Tweeter wiring?

First post here, I searched through quite a few threads regarding speaker wiring but couldn't find an answer to this, so I apologize if I overlooked it.

Onto the nitty gritty. I'm going to be installing some components in my 10 Sport. What I would like to do for ease of installation is run wiring from the amp up to the wiring behind the radio, mount the crossovers somewhere in the door and use the wiring that's going to the current woofer as the input for the crossover.

My problem is the tweeters. Is there wiring in the door to the tweeters that I can tap into from the crossover output? If not, where is the wiring for the tweeters run? I'd like to avoid running new wire if possible.

I'm open to suggestion as to the best way to do this, so if anybody has suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2011, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
I just installed tweeters on a base and found that mounting the crossovers behind that radio was the easiest way. Running new wires to the tweeter was a breeze due to all the space behind the dash. Another bonus is that you don't have to worry about moisture and vibrations from closing the door all the time.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:07 AM
Originally Posted by BStecke
First post here, I searched through quite a few threads regarding speaker wiring but couldn't find an answer to this, so I apologize if I overlooked it.

Onto the nitty gritty. I'm going to be installing some components in my 10 Sport. What I would like to do for ease of installation is run wiring from the amp up to the wiring behind the radio, mount the crossovers somewhere in the door and use the wiring that's going to the current woofer as the input for the crossover.

My problem is the tweeters. Is there wiring in the door to the tweeters that I can tap into from the crossover output? If not, where is the wiring for the tweeters run? I'd like to avoid running new wire if possible.

I'm open to suggestion as to the best way to do this, so if anybody has suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks!
The following is a reply I posted yesterday in response to another question and I just copied and pasted it so please excuse my laziness in that it mentions things that don't apply to your question. It is found here: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tml#post959130

I have an '09 Fit and I installed Infinity Reference components in the front as well as 2-way Infinity Kappas in the back doors. They made a huge difference! I would totally recommend doing this. I also would second the advice to apply sound deadener to the whole doors as I only used a speaker kit for the front doors. I wish I would have bought enough material to do the entire doors.

The installation described in this thread was pretty much how I did mine. I did use the stock tweeter location and I think I destroyed the stock tweets to use for mounting the component tweets... forgive me for a fuzzy memory, but it's been a while and I have done a couple of other cars since then. I dropped wire from the stock tweet location down to the crossover, which I spliced inline into the stock speaker wiring under the dash just before they exit the cabin into the door hinge area (so the crossovers are actually located where I spliced and not in the door). There was plenty of clearance and no fitment problems in the front door.

I wanted to go with 3-way Kappas in the rear doors, but the Crutchfield rep told me that they protruded too far forward and would hit the door panel grill. I wish I would have done that anyway because if you destroy and use the stock speaker as the mounting spacer, I found that there is plenty of room between the speaker and door panel grill. I think the rear protrusion were equal for both the 2 and 3 way speakers. That being said, I am thrilled with the 2-ways; it's just that I have noticed that I usually prefer 3-ways over 2-ways when comparing them at the display panels of car audio shops. BTW, I only paid $59.99 for the Kappas during a Crutchfiled sale.

My kids noticed a huge improvement in sound as well. I was pleasantly surprised because I thought the components, in particular, would sound under-powered but they sounded great. I would say they almost doubled the sound volume while maintaining clarity. If you want to really round out the sound, then I would recommend a self-amplified sub, although you would probably be happier if you used one of those bass restoration processors like the MTX RE-Q. Now I don't have any experience with those, but if what they say about stock systems is true, then the bass output is lessened the higher the volume goes to hide the shortcomings of the stock speakers. So this would maximize your subwoofer investment. This is a mute point and would be a waste of money that can be applied to a new head unit if you intend to eventually upgrade, which I had planned on doing. I had to wait on install kits to become readily available. Chances are, even if you don't use bass restoration, you will be thrilled... for a time! LOL

I also added a Pioneer DVD Navigation head unit, a 9" drop down screen, and a 5-way amp, the Polk Audio PA1100.5 along with a 12" Polk Momo subwoofer, and I am so perfectly content. I really couldn't be happier. I built a false floor under which I hid the huge amp in the hatch. Anyway, I diverge from the subject... If you change out the speakers and add sound deadener, you will love it... and go from there if you choose to. Good luck!