2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Installing aftermarket speakers in my 2010 GE8

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
Installing aftermarket speakers in my 2010 GE8

Hey everyone so I decided that after listening to my radio somewhat loud yesterday that i don't like the stock speakers at all... lots of cracking. So i just purchased 2 sets of speakers; components for the front and coax 2ways for the rear. Both sets are 5.25" and I will be making mdf brackets to mount them.

Interestingly enough the components I bought have built in crossovers, kinda neat and were a steal that i couldn't resist. 90 bucks total. They are by Blaupunkt, which I have had in the past and love the sound quality.

I will be posting pics of my install once I receive the speakers and start.

During this install I may also decide to hardwire my ETC using the leads off of my In dash Navi, as well as putting some sweet fabric on the doors... stay tuned

Old 04-27-2011, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
Nice. Looking forward to updates, Java.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Where did u get the speakers from? I've been wanting to upgrade my speakers !!!

Old 04-28-2011, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jdmjunkie561
Where did u get the speakers from? I've been wanting to upgrade my speakers !!!
i bought them from here, came out to 103 after shipping for both sets of speakers
Blaupunkt Car Stereo, Speakers, Subwoofers and Amplifiers

Old 04-28-2011, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
The stock radio powering a good component set is still gonna be crappy just so you know. Might even sound worse than the stock speakers since you probably wont get any bass at all from your component set off the stock HU since its such low power.

You really need to put an amp on components to make them sing and sound really good.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by britdevine
The stock radio powering a good component set is still gonna be crappy just so you know. Might even sound worse than the stock speakers since you probably wont get any bass at all from your component set off the stock HU since its such low power.

You really need to put an amp on components to make them sing and sound really good.
I don't have a stock HU, I am using the JVC KW-NV3HDT In-Dash Navi. I mentioned it in my OP

Old 04-28-2011, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Java^FiT
I don't have a stock HU, I am using the JVC KW-NV3HDT In-Dash Navi. I mentioned it in my OP
Ok, still may not be enough juice to really make a component set sound alot better than stock.

Components just sound so much better on an amp instead of a HU, even an aftermarket HU.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by britdevine
Ok, still may not be enough juice to really make a component set sound alot better than stock.

Components just sound so much better on an amp instead of a HU, even an aftermarket HU.
I don't plan on pushing the volume of the after market speakers, its just an improvement for crisper, clearer less crackly sound. Blaupunkt speakers are not designed for extreme volume anyhow, their optimum levels are up to the mid-high range.

An amp for these particular speaker would be overkill by every sense of the word. If i had some polks or something else higher end i would reconsider, but im not going for show quality, im going for enjoyment. But i appreciate your thoughts about it.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
Got the speakers today, removed all of the door panels after i got home and I will be cutting mdf mounting plates and running wires for the install tomorrow. I will take pics as I go along. Wiring is gonna be a pain but its necessary.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:23 AM

An amp for these particular speaker would be overkill by every sense of the word. If i had some polks or something else higher end i would reconsider, but im not going for show quality, im going for enjoyment. But i appreciate your thoughts about it.

that's actually completely untrue. it looks like the nominal wattage for the speakers you have is somewhere around 45 watts with a max of 200. that head unit puts out only 20 RMS watts. off deck power, you'd never get any performance out of those speakers. you really should look into getting at least a 4 x 50 amp. you'll enjoy it a LOT more.

p.s. - on a sidenote, i'm digging your fit's build progress. keep it up.

Last edited by kalani59; 04-30-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
Hey Java if you want an Amp for those bad boys let me know bud I may have something for you.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kalani59
that's actually completely untrue. it looks like the nominal wattage for the speakers you have is somewhere around 45 watts with a max of 200. that head unit puts out only 20 RMS watts. off deck power, you'd never get any performance out of those speakers. you really should look into getting at least a 4 x 50 amp. you'll enjoy it a LOT more.

p.s. - on a sidenote, i'm digging your fit's build progress. keep it up.
Thanks, I am going to see how it sounds once I am done wiring it up today, I can always revisit with an amp.

Originally Posted by Jamy
Hey Java if you want an Amp for those bad boys let me know bud I may have something for you.
I will let you know! Thanks.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
So i just finished installing everything, panels are back on, wiring is complete and everything cleaned. Man am i glad that is over with. It basically took me all weekend to finish this project and it came out well.

So far it sounds amazing without an external amp, so i am going to play it out for a couple more weeks to further evaluate it.

I diddnt have a chance to take too many pictures but i have a few i will post later

Old 05-01-2011, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
So i just finished installing everything, panels are back on, wiring is complete and everything cleaned. Man am i glad that is over with. It basically took me all weekend to finish this project and it came out well.

So far it sounds amazing without an external amp, so i am going to play it out for a couple more weeks to further evaluate it.

I diddnt have a chance to take too many pictures but i have a few i will post later
Glad you like it. Weekend long projects are always fun. If decide you need an amp I believe I have an old MTX 250 watt lying around in my closest that isn't being or going to be used.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
Here are the shots from today.

Wiring madness...

Driver door with the 1/2" MDF adapter I made, each door got one.

Front Passenger door with component woofer installed.

These were the only shots i got during a break i took in the middle of wiring, i was too tired to take any other ones, and i was getting a little frustrated that it was taking so long, so i was just trying to finish quickly lol.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
what did you do about the two tabs on the stock speaker/mount. do you have new ones on the mdf ones?

Old 07-14-2011, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 12vltfrk
what did you do about the two tabs on the stock speaker/mount. do you have new ones on the mdf ones?
Didnt make new ones, if you look at this pic:

Those 4 holes for the speaker itself lined up to the threshold of the metal hole on the door so i pre-drilled past the mdf into the door metal and the screws that hold the speaker also provide 4 extra mounting points for the mdf to the door Pretty awesome non planning if you ask me haha.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
I take it they're 5 1/4s?

I'll need to bore my doors out to run 6 3/4s up front. So many more options at that size, especially with Hybrid Audio Technologies being ten minutes from me.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BlueBoogers
I take it they're 5 1/4s?

I'll need to bore my doors out to run 6 3/4s up front. So many more options at that size, especially with Hybrid Audio Technologies being ten minutes from me.
Yes I went with a smaller speaker because of the deal and the 6 1/2" ones were a little too close for comfort. I am referring to the depth of the speaker and the proximity of the magnet to the window when rolled down. You have to make sure that whatever you get is shallow enough in depth that it wont interfere with your window or you'll never be able to get it down all of the way.

You can probably loop hole this by using a thicker mdf adapter plate, and modifying the inside of the door panel to accommodate this.