2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Where to start?

Old 05-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Where to start?

I've had my '10 Sport Fit (Canada) for a little while now and the stock sound system just isn't cutting it.

I don't have a ton of money (read $0 as of right now) to spend on this but I was wondering how much I need to save to get started and where I can get started to start hearing a difference immediately.

Is there a way to add a sub without changing the Headunit? I'd like to do a double din eventually but want the bass now haha

Old 05-01-2011, 08:59 PM
If you're planning on getting a double din eventually, you really should just wait. If you get some sort of bass solution, you're going to have to buy a line driver. You'll also probably be tempted to run smaller gauge power wire than needed for a full install, in which you will have to buy and run new wire. I'd say wait and figure out what you want first. I'd go with changing the head unit first and running the rca's and remote wire while you're at it, then later on buy an amp or two, speakers, and everything else you'll need.

This is just my opinion though. If you're really set on getting a sub now, you'll need a line driver, power wire, ground wire, a sub, sub box, and amp. Alternatively, you could get a bazooka tube or infinity basslink and the line driver and wire. I think you need to list what your goals are for the system for anyone to really tell you how much everything will cost. I can tell you that if you're dead set on a double din, plan on spending at least $200-300 just for that.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think you'll need a line driver as much as you'll need a hi level adapter. A line driver will boost the signal but may not have the capability to adapt to the OEM speaker wire.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:25 AM
hmmm, aren't they the same thing (line driver/hi level adapter)? Either way, it's another extra piece of equipment you'd have to buy if you go the route of putting in a sub before upgrading the head unit.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
Line driver is used to increase the output voltage across the RCA's of a low voltage head unit. Most head units today are 2.5-4V which is plenty for most people, so no he will not need a line driver. However if he keeps the stock deck yes he will need a line out converter which changes speaker wire inputs to RCA outputs.

Hope that clears that up

Old 05-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Alright so from what you guys are saying and the other forums I've poured over it looks like I'll just be stacking cash for a headunit.

I'm thinking $300-400 range is reasonable for both me and my car. Any suggestions?

Old 05-04-2011, 02:34 AM
I'm not sure on which one to get, but just another thought, when you install the head unit, buy and install the rca's so you only have to pop open the dash once

Old 05-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Projectmorpheus
Alright so from what you guys are saying and the other forums I've poured over it looks like I'll just be stacking cash for a headunit.

I'm thinking $300-400 range is reasonable for both me and my car. Any suggestions?

if you're really stuck on going double din, you'd be better off bumping your max price up 50-100 bucks or so. the next tier up headunits tend to have better feature sets across all brands.

Originally Posted by centralharbor
I'm not sure on which one to get, but just another thought, when you install the head unit, buy and install the rca's so you only have to pop open the dash once
^^ what he said.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
Nothing wrong with single din head units, if you are not going for a Navigation head unit, then why bother with a double din. I use a single din personally, and I won't touch anything but Alpine, and I have used nearly all major brands of audio head units out there over the years. Alpine tends to be a bit more in cost but they are a lot more reliable and hold their value well if you decide to resell it later. My headunit is a 2004 model and still fetches over $270 on ebay used.

Anyway good ballpark for a head unit is $300 for a single din of good quality and $45 for a kit an harness unless you get from crutchfield then its free, wiring if you plan on doing the whole car with amps for mids/highs and a sub amp, $150ish for wire and distribution blocks etc. Around $150 for a decent mids/highs amp, $250 for a good sub amp, $150 good components, $100 for a good single sub, $100 for an enclosure for the sub. Or you can get a bazooka basstube save space and still have some bass for around $150.

The internet is your friend, ebay and other audio sites like Classifieds - DIYMA.com, http://www.caraudioclassifieds.or/forum/ and CarAudio.com Classifieds are all good resources for new and used gear. There is nothing wrong with buying used gear as long as you are careful.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks for all the advice so far I'm an alpine guy myself ever since my first car I have tried a couple others but I always come back to Alpine..

I'm not gonna lie the main reason I want a 2 din deck is purely aesthetic but your making second guess it. I also opened up a new thread for people to post pics of their decks so we can have a centralized place to see all the different looks and combinations. Maybe that will help me make a choice I'd love to see your single din SPL