2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

System installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 05:57 AM
System installed

Over the weekend, along with the help of a friend and my wife, I installed my sound system in my Fit. It was a pretty basic install riddled by dumb things happening throughout. For the most part, everything is in. Some things that may help others install their things:

- There's a hard plastic ovalish plug by the top of the dash that if you wanted to make a new hole to route a power cable, would be ideal to pop out, drill, grommet and put back in, but we didn't do that. We just used the existing grommet by the gas pedal and cut a small x.

-The carpet under the back seats are easy to shove wire under and route to the trunk, so it's unnecessary to pull out the back seats if you don't plan on sound deadening.

- The tie down loop in the trunk next to the back seat is a good ground point as far as location, but you'll have to bend the ground wire loop to make it fit, and you'll have to smash the crimp down to get the bolt back on.

- Stock tweeter location is great since the tweeters just pop out and if you solder/crimp/extend the tweeter wire you're installing, you can drop the wire down the hole and it's easy to fish out from the bottom to attach to your crossover.

- If you do use the stock tweeter location, angle it towards the cabin, away from the windshield. The reflection is HORRIBLE! I mounted it as fit4spl did at first, but had to take them out and use the angle flush mounts that came with the tweeters since it was totally unbearable Firing up made the tweeters harsh sounding and the reflection was bad.

- I cut up the stock speaker to make the speaker rings for my midrange speakers, but the speakers are slightly too thick on the top, so the door panel doesn't sit entirely flush like how it supposed to, but if you didn't know about it, you wouldn't be able to tell. I'm pretty sure it's because I didn't make the top of the stock speaker flat, so if you did that, it probably wouldn't be a problem. I didn't make it flat and left that plastic elevated part on the speaker to afford more mounting depth.

- The stock radio is a bitch to take out solely because of the stupid bolt on the bottom. Other than that, very easy.

- 17 foot power cable is enough if you route it along the bottom trim on the driver side.

- 6 meter rcas are more than enough to run from the head unit to the passenger side trim to the driver side trunk area if you go under the back seat carpet (which is what I did).

-knukonceptz speaker wire is very heavily jacketed. The actual wire seems true to the gauge, but they put such a thick jacket that it makes it unnecessarily bulky. Good wire, just bulky.

I didn't take many pictures (actually, I only remembered to take it of the wire going under the carpet), but I'll try to take some finished pictures. I also did a kind of retarded amp mount. I made a carpeted board with a little nub and strapped it to the side of the wheel well in the trunk so it sits vertical. I wanted to do that so it would be out of the way and I would still have full function of the fold down seats so I can put stuff on the seats when they're down, and also so I have access to the spare. For the amp mount, I used 1/2" mdf as the main panel and screwed in a 5/8" square dowel onto the face of it on the bottom edge, then screwed another piece onto the bottom of that. It's so the main board sits on that little plastic ledge next to the wheel well, and the dowel sticking out sits on the bottom of the trunk. (Pictures will hopefully clear this up if I can get a good picture of it.)

I also didn't get my sub box yet, but I'm using my old box that's beat to hell. If my new box doesn't make my sub sound better (slightly different volume), or if I just like the size of my old box more, I might just carpet the old box and use it.

Overall, I'm happy with my system so far. Here's the list of components that I used in case someone wants ideas and missed my other thread:

Massive Audio CK 6III (CK6III) 6.5" 2-Way CK Stage III Speakers
Amazon.com: JBL GTO1004 600 Watts 4-Channel Full-Range Amplifier: Automotive
JVC Arsenal KD-A815 CD receiver at Crutchfield Signature
4 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit
Knukonceptz product detail for KARMA SS 16 GAUGE SPEAKER WIRE - 100 FEET
Knukonceptz product detail for NEW KARMA SS 2 CHANNEL 6 METER RCA CABLE
House Brand 10SSPF Single 10" Sealed Subwoofer Enclosure

The sub is from my old truck, so I doubt you could find it anywhere, but it sounds great if you ever find one. Gets low and is very clear and articulate. It's an Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1d.

The speakers have awesome midbass. Tweeters are not very harsh like how I read they were (although I'm coming from Infinity Kappa Perfects, and those were pretty harsh).

The head unit is good sound and feature wise, but the display has small print. It is neat that you can change the colors individually for the buttons and screen, and you can customize the color, but I have it set to a pee yellow for now.

Part of the amp's rca plug came off on the cable's plug (the metal ring with the white plastic part to indicate left channel), but it functions regardless of that. I wish there was a bass remote, but I'll live without it. There is a bass boost setting on the amp, though. One thing to note is that I didn't even turn the gain up at all on the front channels, but it's still loud. I don't think I'll even touch the gain on the fronts. I haven't even turned up the volume past 20 (out of 50) and it's loud enough for me. I did turn the gain up a little on the rears for the sub, but even that isn't very high. I mainly did that to balance the sound output.

Sorry for the long winded post sans pictures (how anti-climactic).

Old 06-03-2011, 01:00 AM
I don't have many pictures, but I finally got around to getting them off of my phone. Here's what I got so far. No pics of the sub, and you can see the strap I'm using for the amp. The sub is also secured with a strap. This is due to my distaste for drilling into the car's paneling.

After riding around with this stuff, I've cleaned up the wiring more, but I still need to finalize all the cutting of wires and what not. I also changed how the strap wraps around the amp, and I also don't have sub pics. Those will come later. My biggest complaints about this setup is that since I didn't really mount the tweeter, it turns a lot, there's visible holes around the tweeter (which is kind of in the picture), and the display on the head unit is too small.

Anyway, here's the random pictures I've taken so far. (and just fyi, I don't normally listen to rap).

Old 06-04-2011, 03:34 PM
I've heard GREAT things about those Massive comps. Color me jealous.