2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

2010 honda fit sport bt35-hon install

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:29 AM
2010 honda fit sport bt35-hon install

do any of you guys have photos of a bt35-hon install on a honda 2010 fit sport?Thanks.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
I may be getting one for Christmas. If I do, I'll video the installation and post it on this forum.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
Installation instructions

I got it. I installed it. And other than one or two quirks, I absolutely love it.

Here's what to do:
  • Remove the plastic planel below the radio/climate control. It's a 45-degree angle piece of plastic immediately above the 12 volt 'cigarette lighter' outlet. The clips are on the bottom, the hooks are on the top. Using a butter knife you can gently pry the top out, releasing the hooks. It should pop out easily. (When you go to reinstall this later, slide the top hooks in first, then snap the bottom in place)
  • Remove the radio retention screw. Look in the exposed area that the cover was covering. There's this weird round white thing on the right hand side. The access area is just to the right of that (passenger side). I used an 8mm socket on a long extension. If you put your head right under the center part of the dash, the head just to the right of the gear shifter, kind of laying on my left side in the passenger footwell, you can see it. It's about 3-4" from the hole. It's easy to remove ... if you can get onto it. Should be finger tight.
  • With the radio retention screw gone, you should be able to "unsnap" the radio. Open the top glove box and using a butter knife (NOT a screw driver, they are too fat) gently pry the radio away from the dash. One of the snaps will pop. At that point, you can almost grab the radio with your hands and gently pull the radio away from the dash. Count the pops. There are 13 snaps in total. Once they unsnap, you can slide the radio 1-2" away from the dash. That should be just enough to reach in and plug the wires in.
  • Grab the BT-35 HON harness and unplug the the connector on the right-side of the radio (which is identical to the one on the harness). Then plug that wire into the female side of the harness.
  • Open the lower glovebox. If you grab both sides of the glovebox and press in, you should be able to get the glovebox to "dump open." That lets you see behind it.
  • Run the wiring harness from behind the radio into the area behind the lower glovebox.
  • Mount the microphone on the windshield. Stuff the wire underneath the headliner, then inside the rubber trim --- route it around the PASSENGER SIDE of the windshield. (I made that mistake, and found the cable was too short). Eventually route the cable around the window, down the inside of the rubber trim, and inside the dashboard, so it comes out behind the lower glovebox.
  • Take the BT-35 HON unit, and find a safe place to zip tie it to something. Use your creativity. I attached it to the bar below the glovebox, but that involved unsnapping the kick panel (very easy, just unhooks and unsnaps). Once it's ziptied in place (to prevent rattling) plug the black side of the wiring harness (from the radio) into the box. Plug the microphone in place.
  • TEST THE SYSTEM. Turn the key to "on" and try making your bluetooth work. You'll need to pair the BT-35 HON with your phone. It works under the "AUX" menu (the USB also works, too)
  • It it works, put it all back together.
  • Press the sides of the lower glovebox and put it back into place, so it closes. Resnap the kick panel if you removed that like I did.
  • Snap the radio back into place, Gently press it and the 13 snaps should snap.
  • Put the 8mm radio retainer screw into the 8mm socket, and with the extension handle, reach in and screw it back into the radio like its a big screwdriver. DO NOT USE A RACHET. It only needs to be finger tight.
  • Snap the plastic panel below the radio into place. Hooks on top into its holes first. Snaps and the bottom last.
  • TADA! Enjoy the BT-35. Sorry I didn't take pictures, but I was too focused just trying to figure out how to install this.

My only complaints: The text during phone operation looks weird. Instead of saying "call answer," it says "Track 01-01", and changes to "Track 01-02" when I answer it. Weird, but I'll get used to it.

The BT unit won't automatically resume your music, so you'll have to press AM/FM when you are done.

That's it. Otherwise it's great. Sound quality is fantastic. No echo. I absolutely love it. And since it interrupts my music automatically, I still know I have an incoming call -- even when I accidentally put my phone on silent.

Best unit I've tried (I've had 3-4 units). Enjoy!

Old 12-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by larrymcewin
Sound quality is fantastic. No echo. I absolutely love it. And since it interrupts my music automatically, I still know I have an incoming call -- even when I accidentally put my phone on silent.
This sounds like you're referring mostly to phone call quality. I've read a few reviews on Amazon and Crutchfield where people were complaining about sub-par audio quality when listening to music, which is exclusively what I wanted to use this for.

Have you spent much time listen to music through it yet? What genres or ranges sound better or worse (it sounded like loss of bass was the main complaint)? Is the rest of your system just the stock setup?

Thanks for the thoughts! I had written off this unit, but you seem really happy, so it might be worth another look.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, phone quality. My cell carrier is so crappy, Pandora never kicks into hi-def, so I really can't tell. It's seemed adequate. I'll pop an MP3 on the phone and go check it out. Hold on a sec.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
Okay, it does have a weird reverb to the AD2P sound. That's a bummer. It's not awful, but it's strong enough to be really annoying.

I'm sticking with this unit anyway, since it's the nicest "phone booth" set up I've seen for the FIT, and ultimately, that's what I wanted.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:02 AM
Thanks for trying it out. Bummer that the music is subpar, but I'm glad it works well for ya!

Old 01-25-2013, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by larrymcewin
Okay, it does have a weird reverb to the AD2P sound. That's a bummer. It's not awful, but it's strong enough to be really annoying.

I'm sticking with this unit anyway, since it's the nicest "phone booth" set up I've seen for the FIT, and ultimately, that's what I wanted.
Have you asked callers how you sound on the other end? Did it sound ok? Where exactly did you hide the mic? I'm thinking of getting the Navi maplight so I can hide the mic in the middle like the OEM system.

I'm trying to decide between the BT35-HON or the Rostra Converse systems.

The biggest con I find with the BT35-HON is that I always have to have my phone handy so I can make calls.... but I like that its more integrated vs the converse....

Anyone have experience with both units?

Old 02-27-2013, 02:05 PM
I just installed mine last weekend. I bought it because I was tired of looking at the aux cable. In my opinion the WORST problem is the sound quality. I still kept it because its useful if your not going to be in the car for a long time and you want to listen to your music. OR if you just want some background noise while talking to your friends in the car. I asked people what I sounded like and many friends told me that I sounded like I was on speaker or I was out side the car talking to them. I'd give it a 5-10

Old 02-28-2013, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
I installed mine last weekend too.

I never intended to use it for music, I use the USB for that.

While not perfect, the call function is fine. I'm glad I went this route vs the converse rostra as I love using my newly installed steering wheel controls for volume and answer/end call.

The microphone is a bit senstive and picks up more background noise than you would expect but even many OEM units do this. I also installed the mic in the spot between the map light lenses (I installed the maplight which comes with the Navi model). It makes the install look factory with the mic hidden, although I'm sure it hurts the voice clarity but I think its an OK trade off.

Oh and just to complete the thought on my post above, I dont really have much of an issue with using my phone to dial. I just hit the voice dial button on my phone after I switch into the stereo's CDC mode and speak into the mic, voice dial works flawlessly.

What I did to help this issue was to add some hard foam/rubber inside the mic housing to isolate ambient noise such that only the holes in the housing allow the majority of sound to mic, this appears to have helped.

All in all, I'm happy with the purchase, sure beats my old FM transmitter (i.e. Motorolla Roadster 2).

Last edited by k-man; 02-28-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
The call quality is absolutely fine. Better than anything else I've had.

The streaming audio quality is almost unusably bad. Massive echo! I listen to podcasts of KFI AM 640, so a little bit of echo isn't bad. But if I ever got really big into using Pandora, I'd have to use the aux-input cable on the front of the radio.

Overall, I'm still very glad to have it. It's nice to press one button to answer a call, rather than fiddling with a bunch of knobs and buttons while I'm trying to drive.