Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

2010 Honda Fit satellite wiring issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 04:55 PM
2010 Honda Fit satellite wiring issue

Hi everybody,

I recently (6 weeks ago) bought a used 2010 Honda Fit Sport. This morning I took it to a local Audio place to get a Sirius XM radio installed. It is one of those units with the dock that you have to attach somewhere. I got the hardwire installation so I could keep the 12V plug free. After a couple of hours, the tech told us there was an issue with the car. Apparently, after wiring, the factory installed radio doesn't turn off when you turn off the car. He also mentioned that the green key light wouldn't only illuminate for a split second and it shouldn't do that.

The tech took a look at the wiring and it looks like a mess. Lots of wired taped together with electrical tape. After further inspection, there is still an old SmartStart until still installed in the car. The tech thinks somebody did a shoddy installation job and we should take the car back to the dealer for further inspection. When the tech removed the satellite radio install, the factory radio went back to working normally.

So we then went back to the dealer. The sales guys obviously didn't seem to understand the problem. I told them I wasn't comfortable with a remote tracker and starter installed in my car that somebody else held the starter to. We have to take the car back in on Tuesday for the Honda Dealer tech to look at it.

Do you guys have any advice for my situation? I'd like to tell them that they need to remove the SmartStart unit and clean up the mess of the wiring but I'm guessing they'll just remove the until and leave the wiring as is. Plus, I still want the satellite radio installed but I don't know if I should because of all the wiring weirdness involved.

Thoughts? Thanks for the help.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
Did you go to "Worst Buy" for your satellite install?

Old 10-11-2014, 05:44 PM
Actually, no. I went to an independent place that specializes in car audio. I thought I was doing myself a favor by avoiding Best Buy. Do you think the tech guy is at fault here?

Old 10-11-2014, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator
yep. i've found car audio installers are as shady as dealer service depts if not more.

is your radio still staying on when your car is off? if everything works "normally" before he tried to install the satellite unit, then its most likely the satellite install then. maybe he screwed up the remote wire and tapped it to an always on line?

The radio is too far away from the alarm module which is usually tucked behind the dash gauge cluster. the alarm harness should not use any wires from the radio harness at all. unless, the installer decided to hide the module behind the radio, but that takes an extra screw, radio panel to pop out, and the space behind the radio isn't so big to stash the module.

GPS. did the tech show u the smart start came with the GPS module? the GPS module was like another $100 on top of the remote start and the bypass module is about the same price. on top of that theres a subcsription fee too. Look at the module and get the serial number and u can probably recover access to the unit if u do have GPS built in.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:58 PM
Sorry, I'm a bit confused. You are saying that the satellite install should have no bearing on the factory installed radio unit? The radio functioned normally before the install. The tech then did a partial install, not even plugging the unit in but I think he ran the wires in the console. Once he did that, the factory radio wouldn't turn off unless he hit the power button. Then he showed me the issue and suggested I take it to the dealer. Then he went back and removed everything (except the antenna) and the radio went back to functioning normally. So you think he is just using the wrong wires to plug the satellite radio unit in to?

As for the SmartStart GPS whatever thing. It isn't something that I wanted when I bought it. I didn't even know it was there until the tech found it. I'd prefer to have it completely removed but at this point I'm worried it might make things worse. I do have easy access to it and I can see that it is still powered up.

What is the best solution here? I guess I can always power the satellite radio through the 12V plug but I did the more advanced install to avoid it.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator
no, i'm saying is the alarm should have no bearing to the radio/satellite install. however if for some reason the alarm install was really BAD, then anything goes. i really can't see how the alarm installer can get lost and mess around with the car radio install.

if the smartstart has no problems, i would just keep it. its really a good unit, that is if the smartstart module is included with the alarm u got. usually its just the remotestart. the smartstart would let u use your smartphone to start your car basically anywhere on the world as long as theres an internet connection. i can start my car remotely even when i was in Hong Kong and i can check if the alarm is active, windows open etc. it will even text my phone if the alarm is set off. did u get the keychain remote when u got ur keys?

what model sirius tuner did u get? ill try to see if they have a wiring diagram for the unit.

Last edited by xxryu139xx; 10-11-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:58 PM
Oh I see what you mean. Well that makes me lose a lot of faith in the Audio Tech guy. Sounds like he should get it to function properly if the SmartStart is there or not. The unit is the SiriusXM Onyx Plus.

No, I didn't get any sort of SmartStart keychain with the car, just the standard with the lock/unlock buttons. Had no idea the unit was even in there until today.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator
looks like that unit uses a 12v cigarette lighter adapter and plugs in thru the aux in.

have u tried just plugging in the cigarette lighter and the aux in and see if u get reception?

if u really wanted to hard wire it there are a couple of ways to do it.

1. u can take that adapter it came with, cut off the ends, and use an add-a-circuit to a fuse on the fuse box. or. u can splice it into the wires of your cigarette adapter plug.

2. there are guides here on adding an extra cigarette adapter plug that u can hide behind your dash. you wouldn't have to cut the sirius power plug and you'd be able to hide it.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
as far as the alarm, i would go to an installer that is an authorized retailer/installer for Viper alarms. They can remove it for you if u don't want it. Or they can help u get the keychain remotes and reconfigure it for your alarm. remote start is nice during the winter.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:03 PM
update to the viper android/iPhone system. you can be 10k miles from car and unlock/start your car via phone app.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:25 AM
Question

I am watching this thread HARD. I jusust installed my SiriusXM Onyx Plus to the aux/cig but wires are just waiting to be snagged when i transfer my wheelchair into the pax seat. My other issue were the shorter a/c vent clips wouldn't work whereas the longer ones would but very loosely. I'd rather sit it on top of the center a/c vents with 3M tape or i have black heavy duty velcro that i use under my seat cushion to keep good contact to my chair. What say u guys about anything i've opined on about my setup? Me and OP seem to have similar issues so i posted here. If you want me to remove my post, I'll understand.

The cord loosely coming of each side is what im in agreement with the poster about. My other issue is the vent mount.