2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

My Recaro Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 08:29 PM
I've been thinking about getting these seats. They look great!

Old 08-15-2019, 10:14 AM
Did you have any issues with the OPDS sensor after installing the passenger seat?

Old 08-26-2019, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DT_GK6
I've been thinking about getting these seats. They look great!
Originally Posted by DT_GK6
Did you have any issues with the OPDS sensor after installing the passenger seat?
Hello DT_GK6, Thanks for your kind words.
at this time, I am still having issue with OPDS sensor because the used passenger seat that I bought from the pre 2012 Honda Fit GE, and they change some of the actual OPDS sensor embedded on the seat foam for 2012 and newer model.
So I need to buy a 2012 or newer seat and use those OPDS sensor. I don't want to take it out from my own stock 2013 passenger seat just in case I want to take out the Recaro out.

Old 11-28-2019, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
Finally, I have time to solve the AirBag Warning Light on the dashboard. So The Solutions:
a. Buy another USED Passenger (Right) seat from the same year as mine (2013) since the whole OPDS Sensor and Control Unit change for 2012 model above, but to be safe, I bought from a USED2013 Honda Fit model (Sport or Non Sport is not a problem).
b. Took out the 4 Weight Sensor and the OPDS Sensor (embedded on the upper back seat cushion) from this used seat and transfer it to my Recaro.
Just a heads up, the T30 Torx Bolt that secure (2 per weight sensor or total of 8) the weight sensor are so hard to unscrew that I destroy 2 Impact Wrench Grade Torx Bit and 2 Non Impact Wrench Grade Torx Bit. Some of them stripped out, so I had to purchase a Screw (Drill) extractor Kit. Because of that, I replace them with Grade 12.9 M8 Hex Socket Bolt from Recaro. I am just glad that the taller head M8 Hex Socket Bolt still have enough clearance to allow the Recaro Seat Rail to slide properly.

c. Another challenge that I face was, I tried to used the control unit from the used 2013 Fit, but no matter I try, the DTC error won't clear... so after reading the service manual, I found out that although the used passenger seat that I bought came with the Control Unit, however turn out this control unit is a READ ONCE only. So you can only initialized it ONCE and it will record your car ECU ID#. Which means the used control unit can only be used with the car it originally came from.
So, I just took out the control unit from my original passenger seat, and voila, all DTC cleared after using Honda Diagnostic System to Initialized them
d. The Initialization sequence took 2 step, first to initialized the control unit, second to calibrate the weight sensor. All you need to do is to add some weight (I used my weight lifting weight at 30pounds), then enter the 30 pounds value on the calibration screen, accelerate and drive the car over 22mph, stop on level ground, press enter, and the weight show it measure 28 lbs and 13 oz, so close enough for the system to accept.

Now, the whole system works as normal, no Airbag warning light on the dashboard, and the "airbag off" light on the center console also turn on whenever I put wight on the bottom cushion seat to mimic small children, but turn off right away if I sat (and put pressure on the seat back where the OPDS sensor is).

Note: the main difference between pre 2012 OPDS system to after 2012 was, for PRE 2012, it actually have 3 set of wires coming out of the OPDS sensor to the control unit, while for the AFTER 2012, only 2 set of wires from OPDS sensor to the control unit...
The weight sensor is also different, because when I used the PRE 2012 weight sensor, I can't even calibrate and it show the weight as MAX OUT (something like over 200lbs).
Oh, one more thing, the 4 weight sensor need to be located EXACTLY like where they are located on the original Honda Seat, so make sure you marked which sensor goes to LeftFront, LeftRear, Right Front and RightRear, even their washer were color coded (black/white).

Want to add that I put the whole Control Unit on the LEFT Side of the Recaro. I just forced and slide it in from the opening right above the Rotary Know to adjust the seat backrest angle. So they are located exactly where the original location is because they might have some kind of sensor that measure their angle/position)
Another important thing is, I made sure the weight sensor is for my 2013 model because Pre 2012 model have different weight sensor calibration value. The OPDS sensor also came from a USED 2013 seat.
One last thing to note is, when you use Honda Diagnostic Tool to initialize, it usually fail to initialize the first step but when you go to the next step (OPDS plus SWS (seat weight sensor), it just works and clear my DTC right away.

In the end, another successful modification and another successful day

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 11-28-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you for this!! I am struggling to find a used 2013 seat (mine is also a 2013, and I don't want to take the risk of getting a 2012). On my failed Recaro airbag project, I was using 09 weight sensors (and seat back sensors ) with the OPDS mounted horizontally on the bottom of the seat. It was stuck open at 249lbs, the maximum weight rating according to Honda.

Since then I have bought 08 Civic Si seats which will not communicate with the Fit, even with the '13 Fit OPDS installed (they are very comfortable though). I still have the same Chinese HDS unit off Amazon which I cannot get to work, however I just purchased Windows XP, which apparently it will run on.

My questions for you are:

1. Did you have to cut a hole in the Recaro foam to mount the OPDS? Thankfully for the Civic seat I do not need to do this, however I should tear apart a 13 Fit passenger seat and then also take its cords and replace the Civic ones just to be safe.

2. Is the OPDS the control unit? Just so I am clear on my understanding.

3. If the OPDS = control unit, I have my original 13 unit so I should have no problems there?

4. I assume you used the 13 driver side position sensor?

5. Did you also take out the sensors from the back rest (two of them) and put them in the Recaro?

Thank you so much!! And congrats on getting this working, it is a lot of work!

Old 11-28-2019, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chantastic
Thank you for this!! I am struggling to find a used 2013 seat (mine is also a 2013, and I don't want to take the risk of getting a 2012). On my failed Recaro airbag project, I was using 09 weight sensors (and seat back sensors ) with the OPDS mounted horizontally on the bottom of the seat. It was stuck open at 249lbs, the maximum weight rating according to Honda.

ANSWER: Initially, I was also using what I think was a 2010 or 2011 seat, and the weight sensor also stuck open at over 200lbs... wrong calibration... although those weight sensor looks the same between the 2013 and the PRE 2012 one... but the T30 TORX bolt on the PRE 2012 was so much easier to take out, Honda must torque the 2013 weight sensor bolt much higher...

Since then I have bought 08 Civic Si seats which will not communicate with the Fit, even with the '13 Fit OPDS installed (they are very comfortable though). I still have the same Chinese HDS unit off Amazon which I cannot get to work, however I just purchased Windows XP, which apparently it will run on.

ANSWER: I had been running the Chinese HDS (ebay) sensor that I think I told you long time ago, but I am able to running it on Windows 10,... they key is your USB to Serial Cable Adapter, need to find one that is compatible with Windows 10...

My questions for you are:

1. Did you have to cut a hole in the Recaro foam to mount the OPDS? Thankfully for the Civic seat I do not need to do this, however I should tear apart a 13 Fit passenger seat and then also take its cords and replace the Civic ones just to be safe.
ANSWER: I did not cut a hole in my Recaro Seat because the center part (of the back rest) can be partly remove easily that allow me to just slip the OPDS sensor behind it

2. Is the OPDS the control unit? Just so I am clear on my understanding.
ANSWER: NO, OPDS is the thin flat sensor that was kinda embedded into our HOnda Fit backrest foam, there are 2 separate parts of the OPDS with 2 separate wire (for 2013 Honda Fit Seat) coming out of the OPDS going into the small metal box that contain the control unit.

3. If the OPDS = control unit, I have my original 13 unit so I should have no problems there?
ANSWER: Control Unit is the small metal box located on the left side of our Honda Fit passenger Seat, OPDS is the thin flat sensor as I describe above

4. I assume you used the 13 driver side position sensor?
ANSWER: YES, on the driver side, I just plug in the position sensor but it just kinda laying on the ground since the Recaro Rail did not have the ... hmmm. how should I say it, basically the reference where the position sensor can pick it's location.
When I use my HDS, I can see that the driver seat (left seat) position sensor see the seat position as NOT Near.

5. Did you also take out the sensors from the back rest (two of them) and put them in the Recaro?
ANSWER: YES, those were the OPDS sensor.

Thank you so much!! And congrats on getting this working, it is a lot of work!
Yes, I hope you can get your seats system to works too, oh please see my answers inside your Quote above

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 11-28-2019 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks again! I had it backwards - I thought the OPDS was the metal box. I am glad I have my original control unit then. If I source a 2013 seat I should be able to get this working. They are hard to find in my area (hard to find a GE for parts in western Canada for some reason). And yes the 09 torx screws were easy to remove, once you could get to the actual sensor itself. I am hoping my airbag in the driver side 08 civic seat will be compatible...if not, I should just be able to out a 2.2ohms resistor on it, combined with the passenger side 13 internals and it should all be working.

Out of curiosity, how did you mount the weight sensors to the bottom of your Recaro?

Old 12-02-2019, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chantastic
Thanks again! I had it backwards - I thought the OPDS was the metal box. I am glad I have my original control unit then. If I source a 2013 seat I should be able to get this working. They are hard to find in my area (hard to find a GE for parts in western Canada for some reason). And yes the 09 torx screws were easy to remove, once you could get to the actual sensor itself. I am hoping my airbag in the driver side 08 civic seat will be compatible...if not, I should just be able to out a 2.2ohms resistor on it, combined with the passenger side 13 internals and it should all be working.

Out of curiosity, how did you mount the weight sensors to the bottom of your Recaro?
I mounted it UPSIDE DOWN compare to the way it was mounted on the Original Fit Rail, and I had to drill some holes in the Recaro Rail.
Oh, I also had to drilled out some rivet on the Recaro Rail to separate the sliding mechanism and the legs, then I mounted the Weight Sensor (Load Cell) on top or the lets and the rail on top of the load cell/weight sensor.
Due the spacing of the rivet closely match the spacing of the 2 holes for the TORX on the load cell, I decide to mount it upside down, and just enlarge 1 hole on the legs to bolted the stud with the "spring" of the load cell/weight sensor.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you! Can't wait to find another 2013 seat