2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

DIY: GE Armrest Delete Plug $3

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 11:56 PM
DIY: GE Armrest Delete Plug $3

Ok so since this forum has helped me out a ton in the short time Ive been here, I thought I would give back a bit and create a mini how-to on my GE sport model armrest delete plug, in the event you got a aftermarket armrest without a plug, or just dont like your OE armrest and wanna get it out of there. I searched site but didn’t see anything DIY, though I may have missed it. Anyways, I installed my aliexpress center console today, and it didn’t come with an armrest delete so I improvised. I probably would have done this even if I didnt get the aftermarket armrest as I really didnt like the position of the OE seat mounted armrest. And its kinda ugly in the up or down position.
First I pulled off the oe armrest to see what I was dealing with. After removing the cap there is a bolt and 2 supports/stops in there. Pulled those out and was left with this gaping hole.
Next I went to True Value hardware store, blindly, as I have faith in them for odd projects like this. Fortunately it worked out on the first try, which usually doesnt happen with my projects, no matter how simple they are. Anyway, I think True Value is better better than Lowes or Home Depot in my area because they have an awesome selection of random hardware and they let you buy any quantity vs packs.

So first thing I got was 1 of these Nylon Knock out seals.

Then I got 1 of these Automotive Panel Fasteners. The one on top of the box is my first choice which I thought was a bit too short. The one I finally went with was about 4mm longer, which is the "4819-R". Either size probably would have worked but its better to go too long and trim it down if needed.

Get ready for some Dremel cut-off wheel action !

Then I was left with this

Grinded it down a bit…doesn’t need to be too pretty as this side will face the seat. Then took it inside and got the fastener ready

Cleaned the contact areas with acetone, then Put a drop of Go2 Glue, and then gave it a good dose of hot glue (the best glue for the impatient).
Looks like hell, I know…I usually do cleaner work but I knew I wouldn’t be able to see any of this.

I almost just bought a short bolt to reuse the original plug, but it is definitely too small. Heres a comparison. The larger one is about 60mm and barely covers the hole.

Ok, off to the car…lined it up and gave it a few hammer fists…and bam!
Going to take my rubber mallet to it tomorrow to even it up and get it a little deeper after the Go2 Glue cures. Overall I think it looks better than the zeta plug and best of all cost 3 dollars...assuming you have glue!

The end!

Last edited by eulogy; 05-31-2018 at 03:08 AM.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:29 AM
Very nice!

Old 05-31-2018, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
so simple, but such a nice result. well done