2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Engine knocking sound?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 12:57 PM
Unhappy Engine knocking sound?

Hi its my first message in this forum. Always visited it but never thought i would need to insert a message asking for help on possible mechanical issue. People always said Honda`s engine are trustworthy that if you take well care of it so it wont let you down. Well i am wondering where did i go wrong.

I bought a 2011 Honda Fit 1.4 16v. It was 20.000 km run when i bought it. The tires were all stock so it made me believe the mileage on the panel wasnt fake.

Its 65.000 km now. Added MILITEC in it since it was 30.000 km. Always used 10w30 mineral oil and did all the oil changes before the limit 5000 km leaving it a little bit below max. Missed air filter change some times, but i did change it quite a bit. The radiator liquid was also between min and max, took me some time to make it closer to the max.

Did the valve adjustment two times (but i do not trust the guy).

I dont know why, but the engine is making a very low knocking sound difficult to hear, but yet possible if you park in a silent area during the night and press the gas a little around 2.500 /3000 rpm and then you let off the gas pedal and the engine decelerates. When it is decelerating you can hear something ( the noise is similar to my old cheverolet piston`s slap but way, way, way less louder). If i put my ear in the gear box knob i can hear something too when decelerating.

I keep asking myself where did i go wrong, what is the possible causes of this issues and is it good or bad that it doesnt seem to happen when accelerating but only when decelerating in certain RPMs?

Someone around this Fit forum has even had this problem before? Engine horse power seems to be ok, when i force it to overtake someone i feel the power and also the fuel consumption seems to be close to ok. I just dont know where it came from. Drove the car to some mechanics hear the noise and some say the noise is normal, others says its making a noise yes but its usually from normal engine wear ( but at around only 65 0000 km??)

Edit There was some loud noise coming from AC Air when on some time ago i did not go further into it as it seems to have gone away. It only appeared when AC was on

Last edited by victorampereira@gmail.com; 03-25-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:02 PM
These engines make many noises. Here's mine:

It may make these noises for a long, long time. You could do an oil analysis to confirm there is no metal in the oil.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:10 PM
So it means the engine has some characteristics noises ?
I remember my last 2008 Fit i had before someone with a gun stole it from me and the insurance made me buy this 2011 one. It was making similar noises to that video of yours.
I will see if i can record a video and post here

Old 04-01-2019, 12:29 PM
Just a quick update. After driving the car with additivated gasoline rather than the old ethanol i`ve been using for quite a long time , the noise appears less than before. The only thing now is the engine rpm seems "in sync" when idle because ECU does a great job but if you pay closer attention you realize its not that much good in IDLE because sometimes it fails and when it fails you can hear almost inaudible clicks. I think it was happening before but i thought it was the valve adjustment but it didnt disappear after adjusting it.

I think i`ll anticipate the "health check" and drive it to a good mechanic around

Old 12-03-2019, 09:57 PM
Old thread but just want to give another update. Actually i thought the additivated gasoline solved the issue but it was just a placebo effect.

The noise is still there in low RPM , i dont know why i wrote in this thread it was between 2500 and 3000, because i could hear it better between 1500 and 2000 rpm. Got married and my wife could hear it too after some months living with me. The noise only appears when ENGINE IS HOT. Gas mileage is still excelent. No OIL consumption at all. Performance still great as well (this at least makes me feel safe)

I tried servicing on many mechanics of good reputation around here. What i did:

1) Changed spark plugs
2) Changed AC timing belt and asked the guy to double check everything around there for any possible trouble.
3) Asked him to double check any possible trouble in the car that could produce noises
4) Drove it to another mechanic that could see noises coming from heat shield(however he wasnt sure if it's what i was hearing or not). He did some tighting in there and he said heat shield noises are common in this car. I also saw him kind of testing an engine mount to see if it was culprit or not. he did an excelent troubleshoot in a small amount of time. Got my respect.

The main problem here is that - they simply cant hear the noise so they dont believe me too much. So i end up running in circles.

However the noise is still there. The only thing left now is the timing chain. I will drive it back to the last one that told me about heat shield and ask him to continue the troubleshoot and check the timing chain. Spotting the heat shield made me feel that he's really a good mechanic and knows a lot about honda fits.

Last edited by victorampereira@gmail.com; 12-03-2019 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
I reckon if you've gone this long and it's still making this noise either its never gonna go pop or this is one tank of an engine. Mine sounds a tiny bit different 10 years after picking it up. It still flys up and down the power band, runs healthy, isnt burning oil. I say you're fine.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
The thing I picked up in your original post is: "Did the valve adjustment two times (but i do not trust the guy)." It seems reasonable at this point to find someone familiar with the Fit and that is reputable, and have that person/shop adjust the valves, This could very well solve your problem. Make sure the valves are adjusted with the engine cold, and you should look up what the valve clearances are for the intake and exhaust and provide that info for the repair person. This in it's self cuts down on mistakes that could be made.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by 56chevydan
The thing I picked up in your original post is: "Did the valve adjustment two times (but i do not trust the guy)." It seems reasonable at this point to find someone familiar with the Fit and that is reputable, and have that person/shop adjust the valves, This could very well solve your problem. Make sure the valves are adjusted with the engine cold, and you should look up what the valve clearances are for the intake and exhaust and provide that info for the repair person. This in it's self cuts down on mistakes that could be made.

Yes. I want to clear that out too. I am scheduled to get the car in the mechanic today after troubleshooting the issue. I assume he checked valve clearances, but i will double check with him once i get there. He actually called today morning telling me the vibration may not have been solved after checking heatshield, but it is sure coming from exhaust vibration. Well, as for the reason of the vibration, he did not open the engine to confirm however he did say that exhaust is vibrating mainly due to engine vibration. Main suspect is crankshaft balancing. He said however that these kind of issues wont make the engine break and it may not be worth to open it up.

Now i am searching about this "crankshaft balancing". What makes it happen and what could it cause. I did not know about it, but its insteresting and makes me understand why the engine vibrates so abnormally after i turn the keys off until RPM gets back to 0( am i saying something completely out of sense and logic? )

Last edited by victorampereira@gmail.com; 12-12-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:11 PM

My wife's car on mobile device vibrometer

My car on mobile device vibrometer

Old 08-03-2020, 06:26 PM
I just got one with the same motor, previously had a Honda with B20 and smooth as butter, the ticking rattle of the iVtec engine is enough to freak anyone out!
Funny motor but they drive well and seem very reliable.

Old 08-03-2020, 11:07 PM
I have a 2012 Honda Fit with around 77k miles. I purchased it with 37k miles, and started driving it in January 2015.

I am pretty sure mine has always had that low-volume clicking noise for the motor. Doesn't seem to be negative on the engine; I have always been under the impression that the noise is normal.

I'm a noob, though, so what do I know? xD