2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it time to change my brake pads? I'm a little confused

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 07:09 PM
Is it time to change my brake pads? I'm a little confused

Hey all, just purchased a used 2009 Base Fit with 150k miles on it. Needed a bit of work, but in pretty good condition overall. I've been driving it around for a couple weeks now and I noticed a few days ago that the brakes sometimes make a light squealing noise when I press on them. As far as I can tell, the noise only happens when I am coming to a complete stop and when I press fairly hard on them. If I just press on them lightly to come to a stop, then I usually don't hear the noise. It's not particularly loud and doesn't bother me, but I'm wondering if it something I should get checked out asap or if I can wait until it gets louder or more annoying?

I found an older thread asking a similar question, and one of the first responses was,
"If you're not sure, don't worry about it: the audible sensors will alert you when they need replacing (unless they've already been replaced with pads that don't have them). The noise produced when these start sounding is like metal on metal. Sounds awful. With or without the brake pedal pressed. "

If the above is true, then it seems like I wouldn't have an issue, as it I definitely don't hear it without the pedal pressed and it doesn't "sound awful." But I really don't know if that person knew what they were talking about. Brake fluid level looks fine.

I took pictures of what I believe are the two front brake pad areas. I didn't see any brake pads on the rear wheels.

Can anybody tell if those are worn out? If not, what might the squeaking noise be from? Thanks!

Old 03-30-2019, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by vonshu
I took pictures of what I believe are the two front brake pad areas. I didn't see any brake pads on the rear wheels.
Your pictures were accurate and your observation was also accurate. The Honda Fit, in North America, did not come equipped with disc brakes in the rear for any trim level.

Your brake pads look like they have a good bit of life left in them, so the only other thing that comes to mind is brake pad compound. Do you know what kind of brake pads are installed on your car?

Read this when you get a chance:

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/trea...lic-brake-pads

Old 03-30-2019, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by USDM
Your pictures were accurate and your observation was also accurate. The Honda Fit, in North America, did not come equipped with disc brakes in the rear for any trim level.

Your brake pads look like they have a good bit of life left in them, so the only other thing that comes to mind is brake pad compound. Do you know what kind of brake pads are installed on your car?

Read this when you get a chance:

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/trea...lic-brake-pads
Unfortunately, there are four pads. I mention this, because the inner pads are what usually wear down the most on my Fit, even while the outer pads have deceptively abundant life left in them. The inner pads are what the wear indicators are mounted to, and due to its location, pretty much impossible to see without taking the wheel off. So it would be best to pull off the front wheels to get an actual look at the inner pads.

And yeah... on one occasion, I had mine down to the backing plate, even though the outer pads looked fine. Didn't help that the metal "squealer" (wear indicator) actually broke off.

edit: *note* while I did say it's pretty much impossible to see the inner pads with the wheels on... using a camera/camera phone, like the initial post should work, assuming you can reach around the wheel.

Last edited by Goobers; 03-30-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
Goobers good point, I hadn't considered that I usually just look at the outer ones. In your experience how long do brakes usually last on the GE? I usually get more than average, don't brake a lot, but I am up around 40k miles on the car now which feels like more than I'd expect out of one set ...

Old 03-30-2019, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Goobers
Unfortunately, there are four pads. I mention this, because the inner pads are what usually wear down the most on my Fit, even while the outer pads have deceptively abundant life left in them.
Actually, great point! I was writing my response at 2:47 am, so I wasn't all there, haha. Thanks for bringing that up!

Old 03-30-2019, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Goobers good point, I hadn't considered that I usually just look at the outer ones. In your experience how long do brakes usually last on the GE? I usually get more than average, don't brake a lot, but I am up around 40k miles on the car now which feels like more than I'd expect out of one set ...
The factory set lasted me 60k+ miles... but the replacement immediately after that didn't make it to 40k (when the wear indicator broke and I went down to the backing plate).

I think the first set lasted me that long because with the "new car feel," I would purposely go out for long drives on long stretches of road just to drive. Plus there was the road trip. So, lots of mileage with fewer stops in-between.

If you're concerned, I suggest taking a look at all four pads to see how they're doing. It could be they have a lot of life left... or you were unlucky and they're already down to the backing plate.

Edit: I just saw one of the "related topics" the forum listed... https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...easonable.html some folks are getting far more mileage than me. I'm jealous, but I guess I can't say I'm surprised (after all, I do short trip deliveries).

Just goes to show, "YMMV."

~~~~~

My Fit is almost to 160k miles... but after those first two sets, it's been a mess for one reason or another. I changed rotors and calipers, so it wouldn't be useful as comparison anyway.

Last edited by Goobers; 03-30-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:26 AM
Im going to chime in on this one. I have not done breaks on my Fit yet, but from my experience, Nothing beats OEM equipped break pads (and oem tires). The spec that Honda forces the manufactures to hold with these items is MUCH MUCH high than anything over-the-counter at the parts store. IMHO the best replacement for break pads are OEM replacements direct from Honda, Although these are not quite as good as what is shipped on the car, but still a better quality to what is available for $10 lifetime replacement set at the parts store. Those keep pads always create a ton of break dust on the rim, squeal, chatter, and if they dont come unglued your lucky. Then when they do fail, they take out a $100 rotor.

The factory set lasted me 60k+ miles... but the replacement immediately after that didn't make it to 40k (when the wear indicator broke and I went down to the backing plate).

I think the first set lasted me that long because with the "new car feel," I would purposely go out for long drives on long stretches of road just to drive. Plus there was the road trip. So, lots of mileage with fewer stops in-between.

If you're concerned, I suggest taking a look at all four pads to see how they're doing. It could be they have a lot of life left... or you were unlucky and they're already down to the backing plate.

Edit: I just saw one of the "related topics" the forum listed... https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...easonable.html some folks are getting far more mileage than me. I'm jealous, but I guess I can't say I'm surprised (after all, I do short trip deliveries).

Just goes to show, "YMMV."

~~~~~

My Fit is almost to 160k miles... but after those first two sets, it's been a mess for one reason or another. I changed rotors and calipers, so it wouldn't be useful as comparison anyway.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
Unfortunately, there are four pads. I mention this, because the inner pads are what usually wear down the most on my Fit, even while the outer pads have deceptively abundant life left in them. The inner pads are what the wear indicators are mounted to, and due to its location, pretty much impossible to see without taking the wheel off. So it would be best to pull off the front wheels to get an actual look at the inner pads.

And yeah... on one occasion, I had mine down to the backing plate, even though the outer pads looked fine. Didn't help that the metal "squealer" (wear indicator) actually broke off.

edit: *note* while I did say it's pretty much impossible to see the inner pads with the wheels on... using a camera/camera phone, like the initial post should work, assuming you can reach around the wheel.
The pads are supposed to wear evenly. If they're not, this is because your sliding pins are seized. If the sliding pins are seized, only the piston side pad will wear.

Lube the pins with a silicone based grease especially made for this, like "Kleen-Flo Eze Slide" or "Sil-Glyde" from Napa (or other rebrands).

Last edited by carotman; 04-02-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
Brakes are looking glazed (rotors look like a mirror) and shims are rusted
Recommendation:
Pull the pads out
inspect for rotor overlap (unworn areas) and cracks
Clean the shims, inspect for missing or bent tabs
Apply thin layer of 1800 degree F (gray) anti seize compound (from hardware store) to the back of the pad and reassemble
Check the movement of caliper guide pin
pump it in and out few times; turn it 90 degrees relative to the boot (to move old contact areas away)
Put all back together and enjoy the ride