2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Started Valve Adjustment - please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 08:11 PM
Old 05-07-2019, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ChuckDustin
I'm very capable of doing it, just making absolutely sure that I do everything correctly and not have any doubts about any parts of the process. No worries, LOL I know some of the questions are basic and probably stupid, but better off asking stupid questions then make a stupid mistake and be without a car.

I have an automatic transmission so I'm not sure if that means I have to put the car in neutral or not. I'm going to do it anyway just to be safe.
The engine will turn while in park........lol......Unless Honda has some magic engine lock while in park and the key is off or something......which I've never heard of.

z

Old 05-07-2019, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
You should drive in the far right lanes........less noticeable, and you avoid all the Gandolfs in the fast lane........

z

Old 05-07-2019, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Got a 2013........how can you tell if you need a valve adjustment? I think I got about 79K on her.......

z

Old 05-08-2019, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by Zardiw
Got a 2013........how can you tell if you need a valve adjustment? I think I got about 79K on her.......

z
I'd reccomend checking the valves every 40k miles or so. Fit owners throughout this site and elsewhere have observed intake valves too loose, and exhaust too tight while measuring their first valve adjustment. My situation was the same when I did mine. If left untreated, can result in an annoying engine knock and engine component damage after some time of driving. My engine had a knock and after the adjustment, she purs like a kitten.

Just watch your MPG. If you suddenly start getting garbage mpg in the lower 20s or hear your car knocking, idling rough...valve adjustment might be needed.

Your first time WILL be a bitch. But you'll get through it. You know where to go if you have any questions.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ChuckDustin
Your first time WILL be a bitch. But you'll get through it. You know where to go if you have any questions.
I love this.
If the ticking noise of the engine seems loud, you likely need oil. If you have oil and its still loud, you need a valve adjustment. Moreso though, its just something you do. Like eating some kind of fruit at some point in your life to avoid scurvy.

It also gives the engine bunches of oomph back, so its a rewarding procedure that shouldnt be viewed as a burden.
We should be grateful to not be in the same boat as some fords with self adjusting valves. When they go goofy you've got real work to do.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the responses guys!

Would you be able to tell using a stethoscope?

Exhaust being too tight is worrisome......but you would hear it if it's too loose.

And do you think the 2013 might have had this issue addressed by Honda?

Although I've done a lot of mechanics in my time, including making a 383 out of a 350, and rebuilding a TH350, I'm getting tired.....lol

Not to mention having to work in close quarters, and having to remove a bunch of crap to get to them.....

Bottom Line: Don't fix it if it ain't broke....so if they're not out of spec, I don't wanna go in there.....lol

On a side note....seems like the engine has been out of balance/vibrating ever since I first got it.....but I assumed that was normal.

Finally......she seems to still have lots of power far as I can tell.......

My MPG is around 22 something........but I drive like a bat out of freaking hell.......lolol.

z

Old 05-08-2019, 03:56 PM
never gap iridium plugs, should be set before packaged. cleaned throttle body, buy ngk or denso factory spec. plugs. replaced coil pack and purchased set of A/C plugs only to have to do it right later. replacing all coil packs/ and NGK IZFR6K13 plugs 4@$30, coil packs were under 80

Old 05-08-2019, 04:04 PM
i get 35mpg, at 80mph, shakey motor is torque motor mount may be bad. but valve adjustment, new plugs and packs, cel said to replace upstream o2 sensor found one for 49$. runs like a champ @210,000 mi.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Zardiw
Thanks for the responses guys!

Exhaust being too tight is worrisome......but you would hear it if it's too loose.

My MPG is around 22 something........but I drive like a bat out of freaking hell.......lolol.
That's gross. The exhaust WILL be too tight. Like I said, many fit owners doing their valves have reported tight exhaust valves.

I'd say just do it.. you'll be happy afterwards..especially with your MPG.