2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dw-1 ATF fluid aftermath

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 05:08 PM
Dw-1 ATF fluid aftermath

Okay, so I did my trans replacement via the Repair Manual.

I used the new DW-1 fluid and ill share my findings.

I find that it shifts smoother while driving, but jerks more when shifting to and from Park to Drive. I checked the levels almost every other day, and it was sitting right in the middle.

However, I decided to go ahead and put a bit more in, just to see what the difference would be. I filled it up a little and took a spin.

Could barely even feel the transmission whatsoever. If I hadn't heard the clicks, I wouldnt even know the car had a transmission. After I parked, I checked the dipstick, and apparently I had overfilled it just a smidge.

Im so pleased with how the trans is functioning that I dont want to take any out despite having a little too much in there.

Thoughts?

Since dw1 is lower viscocity, would it be possible that more of the dw1 could be needed to get to optimal pressure that the z1 was running at?

Weird.

Old 04-28-2019, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ChuckDustin

Since dw1 is lower viscocity, would it be possible that more of the dw1 could be needed to get to optimal pressure that the z1 was running at?

Weird.
A slight bit more fluid is not going to affect pressure. I'd say leave it be.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:26 PM
To be more specific.. I added half of a quart.

Dipstick was a little below dead center l.

After I added half a quart it now sits above the top line about 1/8th of an inch.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't worry about it at this point. Check it after a few days of driving, see if it changes at all. If it concerns you, get a vacuum extractor and tubing and draw some off through the dipstick tube. For pulling out a small amount, something like this should work: Multi-Purpose Siphon Transfer Pump Kit

Last edited by Alfa38; 04-28-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
When you state the level, please tell us if the transmission is 'hot' or 'cold'. Makes a difference.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by spike55_bmw
When you state the level, please tell us if the transmission is 'hot' or 'cold'. Makes a difference.
Hot. Always hot.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
DW-1 has been reported by the guys at BITOG as being thicker than the old Z stuff which would result in less shift feel. Whether or not thats good for the transmission is another discussion that would require digging from the interested party.

I did see one individual make a claim of slipping on there. A nasty and dangerous thing for an automatic caused by (as I've been told by toyota in regards to their world standard ATF) excess/type of detergents.

Be sure to keep an eye out for that symptom just incase. If experienced, change fluid. Theres a bevy of alternatives out there, think valvoline maxlife is developing a cult.

If your level is high, you're a leak risk :}
If thats troubling, suck it out. I prefer a dry bottom.

On another vehicle I pulled the transmission line going to the cooler to get excess fluid out. It was easy, but tastes bad. Really lubes up the mouth, too. Took all day to get that out..

Old 04-29-2019, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Pyts
DW-1 has been reported by the guys at BITOG as being thicker than the old Z stuff
DW1 is thinner than Z1 for the purpose of better gas milage.

If thats troubling, suck it out. I prefer a dry bottom.
Dang, Pyts, got more of a backbone than me. If anything I'd just let it trickle out of the trans drain bolt. 😁

Old 04-29-2019, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
Oh really?? Come on! Pile on the humble pie, I'm hungry.
I swear I read the slipping bit though.

Yeah, it was a side-of-the-road service. Started shifting funny after a fluid change so I used what god gave me. Manic determination with no regard for personal wellbeing.
Looking back later I realized the issue was the result of wiring I'd done. Expensive high-temp stereo wire isnt a good substitute for cheap standard junk, even in the same gauge. Go figure..

Old 04-29-2019, 05:36 PM
Oh really?? Come on! Pile on the humble pie, I'm hungry.
I swear I read the slipping bit though.
Hahaha thanks for a good laugh. I've read it also. I feel as if the slipping was only occurring because their trans was already too dirty, or had metal in it, so when they switched to the Dw1 their trans started slipping due to not having the metallic crap floating around with the new fluid.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:23 PM
By the way...

If anyone ever needs to take out any excess trans fluid..

Easily accomplished by unscrewing the drain plug (very slowly and carefully) until it starts to trickle out. Just make sure you push the drain plug against the trans to prevent it from flying off.

No need to do anything crazy, like suck it through a tube, or pump it out.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
I put AmsOil Tranny fluid in mine........no problems whatsoever.....been about 5 years now......

z

Old 05-10-2019, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ChuckDustin
By the way...
I think your transmission might get a little better as you work in the new DW1 into all the spaces and clutch discs. Maybe a filter change is warranted at some point if you saw debris in the drained fluid or much collected on the drain plug (magnetic?).

Old 05-10-2019, 09:29 AM
Spike,

It's running just fine. Smooth shifts while driving.

I'm wondering if my clutch is going out, because when I use the shifter and move into drive, park, it clicks pretty loud. Could be another case of paranoia.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
Is it really the transmission or is it the 'post transmission' where / when the slack in the axles / wheel hubs is taken up as your car 'wants' to start moving forward or back? As the miles add up, some slop will develop in the drive line, so normal to hear / feel a little click / clunk / jerk.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by spike55_bmw
Is it really the transmission or is it the 'post transmission' where / when the slack in the axles / wheel hubs is taken up as your car 'wants' to start moving forward or back? As the miles add up, some slop will develop in the drive line, so normal to hear / feel a little click / clunk / jerk.
Not sure. Overall, fluid looks great... trans runs great.. no slippage whatsoever. Probably what you said.