2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plug Replacement ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
This is embarrassing. Yeah, looks like this is where all the complaints should have been going all along, I guess thats how recalls are started.

You do, ofcourse, need evidence. Seems like they accept pictures though, so i assume plug blow-by and testimony would do for a minimum.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I swear at some point I found a recall for this that simply recommended we re-tighten the plugs, can't find it now though. What a slap in the face that'd be. It'd be hard to pin a specific case to honda though I'd imagine, given that its a commonly self-serviced item.

Old 03-01-2024, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Alfa38
I just changed plugs last weekend in our '11 Sport MT, while doing the valve adjustment, 99.5k miles. All the plugs were snug, no issues, and they were pretty clean and consistent in wear and soot. At 79k I don't think they would have needed to be changed, but of course it really depends on how the car was driven, what type of fuel was used, etc in your car. If it is idling and revving smooth, with good gas mileage, the only thing to be concerned with is whether the plugs are snug in place. It will take you about and hour or so to remove all the parts to check the plug torque and then reassemble.
You have to remove the intake, and it is best to remove the wipers and the cowl plastic (which is where the clips are that might break - I lost one and had one break) so that you have as much access as possible. There is a great thread with photos on a gearfixup by @07fit916 that shows the removal of these parts - follow that (up to the point of removing the valve cover, you don't need to do that of course) and you'll get to the ignition coils/spark plugs.
I have a 2020 QV, and I bought it with 33K miles. I am almost at 37K miles, and I was wondering if I should replace the spark plugs or believe the dealership when they said the previous owner did it. There is no sign on the Carfax, but the car still runs very well. Looking for your guy's thoughts.