2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

More frequent oil change on a 2012 Sport Fit? Or a scam?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
More frequent oil change on a 2012 Sport Fit? Or a scam?

I went to a national chain to get the synthetic oil changed on my 2012 Sports Fit in November 2018 -- and they said they were 'downgrading' the number of miles I'd get with each change and that I would now get max 7000 miles from an oil change, as opposed to the previous changes where (if I remember correctly) I'd get somewhere between 8000 to 9000 with oil to spare. . They also said that unfortunately they could not 'grandfather' me into the higher mileage oil change number anymore -- which would seem to mean that this is a new pricing policy instead of an actual mileage rating? Kind of confusing.

At any rate, 7 months later I can see that I'll be at 6500 miles and "5%" remaining in about a 1000 miles if I don't get my oil changed. When I asked the Honda dealer if they knew anything about this they shook their head. So what's going on? Did the national chain somehow adjust my monitor? Or the oil quality? And how many miles should I get out of a synthetic oil change on a 2012 Honda Fit Sport in good condition?

Old 06-06-2019, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
The MM bases oil change intervals on how you drive. Shorter trips where the engine doesn't fully heat up for long periods will get you more frequent oil changes. This is because contaminants don't boil off. Doesn't matter what kind of oil you have.

The chain you went to could not alter this interval, except to reset it to 100%.

Telling you they must now downgrade to 7000 miles max is marketing. Go by the MM.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
National chains want you to visit more often anyway, more money. You ever see how expensive a synthetic oil change is? Near me it's nearly 90 dollars. Go by the maintenance kinder and screw the rest.

I do my own, no horseshitting around with the 'ol lube express.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
It is possible they used a substandard oil and they are just trying to cover their behinds if you have a problem by going longer than 7k. There are conventional oils now in the 5w-20 viscosity, as well as synthetic blends. They test OK when new, meeting API specs, but don't age as well as full synthetic oils, and can be more prone to shear breakdown, loss of viscosity, etc.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
no, they're trying to make more money by getting you to come in more frequently.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
no, they're trying to make more money by getting you to come in more frequently.
Same thing. Use cheaper oil for better profit margin, and require more frequent changes for more volume.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:39 AM
5 Year Member
I don't believe that they could modify the program that runs the Maint. Minder (MM) that 'suggests' you change the oil around 8000-10000 miles (normal driving) by giving you that % reading on life of the oil based on Honda's suggestion that you start out using 0W-20 'full' synthetic. The FIT / MM doesn't 'know' what oil is in the engine, and therefore, the oil change operation could be correct suggesting 7000 mil interval if they put in semi-synthetic of 'dino' oil.

I do believe that depending on 'hard' you drive the car that the change interval could decrease. My wife's CIVIC varies a lot (MM) but she drives like a nut. I often wish I was wearing full-race safety harness when she approaches a stop sign. She's on her 5th set of brake pads (f/r) at 126,000 miles (25,000 / set) while I ran my fronts to 50,000.

Last edited by spike55_bmw; 06-07-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Red 05
National chains want you to visit more often anyway, more money. You ever see how expensive a synthetic oil change is? Near me it's nearly 90 dollars. Go by the maintenance kinder and screw the rest.

I do my own, no horseshitting around with the 'ol lube express.
Exactly! Synthetic changes at shops are way overpriced. I do my own and it's less than $30 plus I have extra oil left over from the 5 Quart jug for the next oil change. After 3 change there is enough extra to do the next one.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
The national chain is just offering a recommendation.
Personally? I go by the maintenance minder.

I usually don't wait until it get's down to 5% or 0. But IMO, a primary purpose of the Maintenance Minder is to tell you when to change your oil, and it was designed and installed by the manufacturer of the vehicle. That's what I'm going by.

I don't even understand this:

" They also said that unfortunately they could not 'grandfather' me into the higher mileage oil change number anymore "

Whatever "recommendation" they offer for an oil change interval, is just that...a recommendation. YOU can decide to change it, at any interval you wish.

I'd be willing to bet, the national chain, would be happy to change your oil...and take your money, WHENEVER you decided to pull into their driveway.
If you're worried or unsure about what quality of Oil they are using? Ask them. Full synthetic? Blend? Dino? You have a right to know, and decide about what oil is being used.

If you're worried about the national chain having done something to re- calibrate your maintenance minder? I doubt it's possible. As far as I know, you can and should reset after every maintenance cycle but I've never read anything about being able to adjust it.

Also unclear what you mean by this:

" with oil to spare" ????

The recommendation, backyard mechanic, national chain or maintenance minder is usually based on projected breakdown of the oil. Whatever the "time" interval, you should ALWAYS check your dipstick and have enough oil in the vehicle. In between Oil changes you should be adding if it get's too low.
You shouldn't be changing based on how much oil you have....your vehicle should always be operated within the parameters of having enough oil in it.
If you're burning oil, that's a separate problem. So I'm not getting what you mean by having "Oil to Spare" between changes.
You shouldn't or don't change oil, like filling up gasoline. Never operate your vehicle with the Oil level low. You should ALWAYS have "Oil to Spare"...as far as amount, even on the day you're having it changed.

Anyway, I just go by maintenance minder. Sometimes I get more miles between a change, sometimes less. I don't really sweat it.
The only thing I do, is use a approved quality synthetic.
Outside of that? I just change my oil.

Last edited by fitchet; 06-07-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
I personally run most synthetic oils to 10-15k miles and send samples to Blackstone to make sure everything is still okay at every change and have had no notable changes in wear for the last 3 years.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:44 AM
5 Year Member
I am a low mileage owner so once a year I splurge and go to dealer for oil and filter. Now soon to be 10 years old next month and no problems.