2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Air Conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member
Intermittent Air Conditioning

I'm sorry if this question has already been asked, but nothing appears when I search for " A/C ", perhaps because the string is too short. I'm hoping someone can help.

When driving under normal load, our 2013 Fit's A/C has a strange cycle where it blows cold air for perhaps 20 to 30 Seconds and then warm air (maybe just warm outside air) for 5 to 10 Seconds. This cycle is fairly constant. The system was recently charged with Freon by a professional in a shop; it was low on Freon and would freeze up. It no longer freezes up. Car has 78,000 Miles on it.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? Thank you.

Last edited by Alco RS-1; 08-13-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
The most recent a/c problems were caused by loose battery terminals. it saved 3 or 4 people. its a start.
we can likely rule out fuses here one and done.
have we checked the cabin air filter just to verify that the system can breathe?

after that we might want to verify that the a/c compressor clutch is staying engaged. this can be done by lifting and supporting the front end of the vehicle and removing the plastic under cowl or "splash guard" on the front passenger side.
with the engine running and the ac on, the clutch should get sucked in n spin thanks to our lovely field coil.
if at any point it... doesnt. im told we have a single washer/shim in there that can be removed for a cheap fix. after that stuff it starts getting techy.

If you have any questions

Old 08-13-2019, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
Honda's brand new do this. It's not dependent on model, it's a "feature." The last three Accords my mother has had and the 2019 accord my brother just bought also does this. It's made worse because it's pretty hot this time of year. There's a slim chance it's been overcharged, this would cause the system to cycle a little more frequently but what you described is exactly what mine has done since new.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks Pyts and Red 05 -- good suggestions and interesting information too on Honda's A/C traits. I have very good confidence that the system was properly recharged, as my friend owns the shop where it was done. The Fit drove off to college today with my student behind the wheel, so it's out of my driveway for a number of months. When I get access to it again, I'll run some of the tests as suggested. I can see the A/C clutch with a flashlight looking down from above, so with the engine idling and someone inside the cabin, we'll see what it does when the cold air momentarily stops. I'll check the other suggestions as well.

Thanks much!

Old 08-13-2019, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1
Thanks Pyts and Red 05 -- good suggestions and interesting information too on Honda's A/C traits. I have very good confidence that the system was properly recharged, as my friend owns the shop where it was done. The Fit drove off to college today with my student behind the wheel, so it's out of my driveway for a number of months. When I get access to it again, I'll run some of the tests as suggested. I can see the A/C clutch with a flashlight looking down from above, so with the engine idling and someone inside the cabin, we'll see what it does when the cold air momentarily stops. I'll check the other suggestions as well.

Thanks much!
The compressor clutch disengages. And if the engine is under temp the radiator fans cycle back off. It's an electrical command

Old 08-18-2019, 11:27 AM
Could just be not enough refrigerant(R134A)

Could throw in some Stop leak..... and
See what low pressure side reads.....
and possibly add one small can of R134A

Old 08-28-2019, 05:59 AM
do a leak test. could be as simple as the relays under the front headlight are bad.