2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dashboard rattle issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 08:03 PM
Dashboard rattle issue

I just started having a rattling noise coming from my dashboard of my 2010 fit, seemingly from the middle/passenger side and seemingly from the central air vents. What could it be? It was just pretty cold around here. I asked the previous owner and he hadn't noticed anything. It doesn't seem to quite manage anything else I've seen described online. It comes and goes on surface streets, and gets much louder (and happens much more often) on highways and on rough roads.

Old 03-17-2021, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
You could start your search for the cause of the noise by pulling down your cabin filter and going from there. A quick Google search will show you how to do this simple procedure.

Old 03-17-2021, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
My 2010 has a similar rattle...although to me, it sounds like it's coming from just below the Radio area. Mine is a M/T, and the sound appears between every shift as the car gains and loses momentum. I know it's nothing to do with the shift linkage because it will sound the same even when I 'fake a shift'...give it the gas in gear and quickly release the gas pedal.
I can best describe the noise as the sound a plastic flapper door would sound if it was released every time the cars momentum quickly stops. And it has a reverberating sound to it when it happens...like it's bounces until closed.
I hate to start yanking the center console and stereo out to look around...but I think I will have to.

Does your rattle, Jadeon, sound similar?

Old 03-19-2021, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
Yesterday decided to start digging...looking for the rattle.
Took the glove box and cabin filter out and used a mirror and flashlight to look behind the dash...all looked good.
Fairly certain if it wasn't there...it was coming from the center console...so hard to tell when driving.
In order to remove the console...the Honda center armrest, that I installed last year, would need to be unbolted and removed first...a pia.

Here is where it gets embarrassing....but it might be helpful to someone else.
After rounding up the tools needed...I emptied the storage box under the sliding armrest. Lots of crap accumulated in there..but I had already checked that for the possible rattle a few diff time.
Next up..unbolt the armrest from the center console and the metal mounting point under the console.
The armrest is made so that it can be lifted up and swiveled back to the seat back area.....but I never use that feature.
Lo and behold...under the sliding armrest is a small 1X2" cubby hole for change storage?

Sitting inside of the cubby hole, instead of change, was a 2 inch mini screwdriver that was rolling back and forth everytime I shifted the car. I felt stupid for never remembering it had the storage there...but it's fixed now. And no more rattle!